Suggestion for a Audio system set-up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stress

Sep 5, 2006
Hi
I'm thinking of setting up a audio system and don't know where to start.
Budget is about $5K to $8K but prefer to stick to around $5K
Looking for a good intergrated amp or pre & power amp and a pair of bookshelf speakers and a relatively good CD player.
Anyone has any recommendation?

Is B&W speakers any good?
I've read about mis-match of spk and amp so i'm abit worried spending the money without consulting the "old birds"

Thanks in advance....

you should go to echoloft.com, thats where most of the audiophiles hang out..

if i had 5k, i'd go for an entry naim system or something like that..

while i am not too familiar w/ systems of that price point, do leave some (say about $500 :dunno:) for stuff like cables for system connectors, speaker cables, replacement power cords & speaker stands & etc. these could add up to quite abit. :cool:

i think vr-zone might be a better place for such discussion

you should go to echoloft.com, thats where most of the audiophiles hang out..

if i had 5k, i'd go for an entry naim system or something like that..

echoloft.com

I 2nd naim system.

naim 3i, nait 5i with an epos 11?

With that budget why not add video as well. Get a Bluray, Onkyo AV receiver 606, HD TV, and 7 speakers + 1 subwoofer. Bluray is a fantastic player even if u are just playing CD ...... super clear sound ....... no need to buy CD player anymore.

echoloft.com is the best starting point. You will also learn which shops to avoid....

With that budget why not add video as well. Get a Bluray, Onkyo AV receiver 606, HD TV, and 7 speakers + 1 subwoofer. Bluray is a fantastic player even if u are just playing CD ...... super clear sound ....... no need to buy CD player anymore.

Some tips on using video players as audio source:
Disable the video when listening to pure music. Video noise affects audio quality.

Some facts:
During audio performance measurement, even the video cables are removed (even if the video monitor is OFF) to meet a better audio specs.;)

the tip is actually not to use a video player. problem with video player is that the audio section is often compromised by a shared supply with the video amps and decoders, not to mention that the master reciver chip is shared between the two. so unless we're walking towards megabuck video players like the esoteric or ML, i doubt you want to go down that route.

Thanks everyone.....
I've zoom in on this set-up and will audition the set-up this weekend, any comments?

Rotel 1062 Integrated amp
Rotel 1072 CD Player
B&W 685 speakers but the shop selling Rotel ask me to test it out with Paradiam Studio 20 speakers...

Decided to lower my budget to $3K to $4K inclusive of cables for a start.
Boy....:sweat: it's an expensive hobby. The more I read about reviews, the more interesting it gets. This is gonna be worst than photography as a hobby:sweat:

good choice..me using rotel amps and marantz cd deck with monitor audio floor standing speakers

cheap and good sounding...which i have no time to listen...

Thanks everyone.....
I've zoom in on this set-up and will audition the set-up this weekend, any comments?

Rotel 1062 Integrated amp
Rotel 1072 CD Player
B&W 685 speakers but the shop selling Rotel ask me to test it out with Paradiam Studio 20 speakers...

Boy....:sweat: it's an expensive hobby. The more I read about reviews, the more interesting it gets. This is gonna be worst than photography as a hobby:sweat:

Yes...its even worse than photography...you can easily spend tens of k over a hi-fi system...some single components e.g speakers may cost even more than a top of the line pro body and 600mm lens combined. :sweat:

good choice..me using rotel amps and marantz cd deck with monitor audio floor standing speakers

cheap and good sounding...which i have no time to listen...

I have a pair of Monitor Audio RS6, great value for money.

Woah ... chill dude... the server lag again ....

You've got a budget - That's a good start.

Now you got to question yourself:

1. How do you want your system to sound?
2. What sort of genres of music do you most listen to?

Do not get conned into buying "the best".

Mixing and matching is hard and a risk.

Do not save on interconnects. In the end, it'll determine how your system sounds.

audio is so complicated
too many brand
i've done a little research on this field these few days but still blur haha
but it's just reading, no money to buy :(

yea i got my basic info from echoloft, then headed to audio house to speak with the salesman, their product knowledge very good. any questions you can just ask em.

Status
Not open for further replies.