Suggested shots for Blue Mountains & Jenola caves

Status
Not open for further replies.

yehosaphat

Oct 28, 2005
North
Hi CSers,

Going for trip to Sydney and planning a day/nite stopover at Blue mountains/Jenola caves. Any suggested 'cannot miss' locations or timings for these 2 places?

Also any nice pics to share? Thanks in advance! :)

Hey.. I'm planning to go there in late May.

Want to hear from the others too!

Btw, are tripods allowed in the Jenolan Caves?

Any advise from anyone?

Sorry a bit OT but any suggestions what 1day tours I can book for jenolan caves to see orient caves and imperial caves. And also provide bus from Katoomba (Blue Mountains)?

Thanks!

I lived in Sydney for several years, but used to drive my visitors to Jenolan Caves. If I'm not mistaken, there are daily tours departing from the Circular Quay area. That's a good place to start searching. There are probably others, but not that I'm aware of. Lots of tour operators with small offices there (underneath the Circular Quay railway station). Something like a more upmarket version of Golden Mile Complex :)
The day trip should include Katoomba, Leura, Jenolan Caves and some of the other smaller caves.

Tripods should be allowed in the caves. I think flash photography is not allowed. But the groups tend to move quite quickly. Need a tripod that's quick and easy to deploy in a hurry.

cheers,
Kevin :)

I cant contribute but since I see the word "cave", please bring along at least a monopod if not a tripod.

I lived in Sydney for several years, but used to drive my visitors to Jenolan Caves. If I'm not mistaken, there are daily tours departing from the Circular Quay area. That's a good place to start searching. There are probably others, but not that I'm aware of. Lots of tour operators with small offices there (underneath the Circular Quay railway station). Something like a more upmarket version of Golden Mile Complex :)
The day trip should include Katoomba, Leura, Jenolan Caves and some of the other smaller caves.

Tripods should be allowed in the caves. I think flash photography is not allowed. But the groups tend to move quite quickly. Need a tripod that's quick and easy to deploy in a hurry.

cheers,

Thanks! We intend to drive to Katoomba then take the tour from there to the caves. Is there such arrangements?

I was there a few years ago. We took the train from Sydney to Katoomba where we stayed a few nights and took a tour from Katoomba to the Jenolan Caves. I dun recommend driving down to Jenolan Caves on your own cos the road is really very windy.

You will probably find all the information you need in Sydney since Katoomba and Jenolan Caves are popular tourist destinations.

I was there a few years ago. We took the train from Sydney to Katoomba where we stayed a few nights and took a tour from Katoomba to the Jenolan Caves. I dun recommend driving down to Jenolan Caves on your own cos the road is really very windy.

You will probably find all the information you need in Sydney since Katoomba and Jenolan Caves are popular tourist destinations.

Thanks for the reply :) Yea exactly cos the drive from Katoomba to jenola is no joke. So any recommendations on which tour that you all have experienced to rec?

Hi CSers,

Going for business trip to Sydney and planning a day/nite stopover at Blue mountains/Jenola caves. Any suggested 'cannot miss' locations or timings for these 2 places?

Also any nice pics to share? Thanks in advance! :)

The 3 sisters in blue mountains at sunset/sunrise is lovely. cold though.

My lousy photos are here for you to get some ideas...:lovegrin: http://blivegc.multiply.com/photos/album/26#51

Thanks for the reply :) Yea exactly cos the drive from Katoomba to jenola is no joke. So any recommendations on which tour that you all have experienced to rec?

It was many years ago so I can't remember very much. But the guided tours to the caves are not carried out by the tour guides, rather by the ppl administrating the caves themselves, so it doesn't make much of a difference which tour you go on. It is the price that drives your decision and also the number of caves you want to see. You can probably find updated details on the internet.

Personally, I found the caves to be so-so only. I loved Katoomba - not just because of the Three Sisters, but also because the hiking paths are lovely and there are good photographic opportunities (unfortunately I was still using film in those days so I have no digital photos to show you). Also Katoomba was a good base for me to travel by train and bus to quaint little villages such as Leura and sights such as Wentworth Falls where you can explore and hike and take loads of great photos.

Thanks for sharing!

Was the waterfall you took at blue mountains as well? A pity you did not have ND filter with you to take the silky effect ;)

For the blue mountains, was the shots sunset or sunrise?

Really?? I didn't find it terrible at all. Been down that road several times. It's quite a distance still, from Katoomba. Driving to Katoomba, you sort of think "That's it...! I've arrived at the Blue Mountains!", but actually it's just the beginning. I think another 45mins-1hr to reach Jenolan Caves. But the drive is very fun and exciting, though a bit windy. Then again, I really like driving down windy mountain roads! ;)
Agree that the caves are only so-so. There are certainly more spectacular ones in Asia (Kunming area).

Have a good trip!

Thanks for the reply :) Yea exactly cos the drive from Katoomba to jenola is no joke...

Really?? I didn't find it terrible at all. Been down that road several times. It's quite a distance still, from Katoomba. Driving to Katoomba, you sort of think "That's it...! I've arrived at the Blue Mountains!", but actually it's just the beginning. I think another 45mins-1hr to reach Jenolan Caves. But the drive is very fun and exciting, though a bit windy. Then again, I really like driving down windy mountain roads! ;)
Agree that the caves are only so-so. There are certainly more spectacular ones in Asia (Kunming area).

Have a good trip!

Thanks ZerocoolAstra. So is the drive from Katoomba to Jenolan caves similar to that of the Great Ocean road?

Thanks! We intend to drive to Katoomba then take the tour from there to the caves. Is there such arrangements?

There are day tour operators around Katoomba station to Jenola Caves.

If you like horse riding on mountains tracks can go to Megalong Valley:

http://www.bluemts.com.au/megalong/

But this time of the year approaching early winter maybe a bit cold in Blue Mountains leh. Bring thick thick clothings lah.

Hey.. I'm planning to go there in late May.

Want to hear from the others too!

Btw, are tripods allowed in the Jenolan Caves?

Yes. I shot with a tripods in the caves before.

But better be fast as the guided tours move along in the caves. Don't think you are allowed to roam around freely inside the dark caves. Most parts are lit with warm tungsten lights and a few with colour lights. I think the tour guide turns on and off the lights as the group moves along.

Any advise from anyone?

Sorry a bit OT but any suggestions what 1day tours I can book for jenolan caves to see orient caves and imperial caves. And also provide bus from Katoomba (Blue Mountains)?

Thanks!

I know there is an old castle in Blue monutain. You should be able to find it as sign board, but it is a distance.
:cool:

Similar, yet different ;)
The type of road situation (short straights, tight corners) is quite similar, but of course the scenery is much different. The closeness of the trees gives a greater sensation of speed. More exciting! But your car better have good brakes. Cheapo car with drum brakes, forget it.

I recommend Sublime Point lookout. I think it's off the main highway before you get to Katoomba. If I'm not wrong, it's close to Leura. Good views! Nicer than the 3 sisters lookout in my opinion. Need a wide angle lens, probably 18mm or 14mm if u've got :)

Thanks ZerocoolAstra. So is the drive from Katoomba to Jenolan caves similar to that of the Great Ocean road?

although i dont live in Sydney area.. NSW has been getting really chilly temperatures the past 1-2 weeks.. if you come around may/june.. the roads might be frosty? (and even more dangerous) :dunno:

you might want to head to this link to observe the weather to get an idea how it is going there at the moment..
http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDN60900.shtml

although i dont live in Sydney area.. NSW has been getting really chilly temperatures the past 1-2 weeks.. if you come around may/june.. the roads might be frosty? (and even more dangerous) :dunno:

you might want to head to this link to observe the weather to get an idea how it is going there at the moment..

Thanks! yea heard is chilly too :sweat: At least wont sweat ah haha

hey realised you are from wollongong. Hope to drop by there too ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.