Suggested itinerary? Travelling to Spain in Aug

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sydney2K

May 22, 2003
Singapore
Visit site
Appreciate if I could have some suggestions on an intinerary for travelling to Spain for 2 weeks in Aug.

Open to any suggestions. Of course must be great places to take photos.

Thanks all. :D

I can only suggest the following places which I been to.
Cities -
Madrid for 1st timer.
Barcelona - Very nice castle & of course FC Barca!
Seville - Moorish architecture

A bit off the way -
Ronda - deep gorge, stay over night if you can.
Casares, Mijas - Nice white town

And if you have more time - Gilbratar & Tangier, Morocco.

Barcelona has lots of nice churches as well. One famous place to visit, Sagrada Familia. Must be very alert, lots of pick pockets. Was there quite a few years back and saw 3 youths staring at me on one Sunday. Lucily they never robbed me. Maybe my look is just as bad. The next thing I saw, they just opened the cab and robbed the lady of her handbag.If you love arts (paintings), there's plenty to choose from. Search google for more info on security.:)

Look for Gaudi architecture.

If u have time, take a 3 hrs coach from Barcelona to Andorra. It's a small country with nothing much to do except skiing n duty free designer goods shopping. And of cos like what dkuan88 suggested, visit FC Barcelona. :)

Wow, 2 weeks in Spain. Well the usual place to visit would definitely be Barcelona. As for Madrid, in my opinion, there isn't much to see at the capital, unless you are a Real Madrid fan. However Madrid does make a good base to visit some of the smaller towns like Toledo & Segovia. Another place I would suggest is Salamanca, west of Madrid. From there, you can hop over to Portugal where you can visit Lisbon. From there you can go to southern Spain, where there is Sevilla & Gilbratar. From there you travel along the coast through Valencia and finally back to Barcelona.

What would be your mode of transport? Driving would be the best. It allows you to visit those off the beaten track places. And 2 weeks allows you to go at a more leisurely pace, and take more photos;)

I prefered Madrid more than Barcelona, too modern for my taste... :p Don't forget to visit San Lorenzo when you're in Madrid, the El Escorial was awe-inspiring. Like kelccm said, Toledo and Segovia's really nice too.

The place that left me the best memories was Granada. The train journey there was very scenic, Granada's beautiful and the Alhambra was amazing... If you're going there, must get tickets in advance ok... the daily number of tickets are limited.

And yes, security is a problem. I got mugged and attempted mugged. Be careful when bunch of kids start following you or when you're in the subway. Some gypsies will just grab your arm and start palm reading for you and demand for money etc... fake police etc. Keep your eyes peeled... :p

Thank guys for all the replies. Really appreciate it. After anyone has anymore suggestion please do add it to the list.

Yoz. I'm planning a trip to Spain myself this end Sept-October
Sydney2K, dun mind I hijack your thread to share my itinerary.
Thought we could share pointers and if possible I'll like to get some opinions on my itinerary too.

Day 1-3 Madrid
Day 4-6 Train ride to Seville
Day 7-8 Train ride to Granada
Day 9-12 Fly domestic flight to Barcelona
Day 13-14 Rent a car drive to the Pyrenees and take a hike
Day 15 Drive to Bilbao
Day 16 Visit Guggenheim at Bilbao. Drive to Bugos
Day 17 Burgos
Day 18-19 Drive to Santiago de Compostelo
Day 20-21 Drive to Salamanca
Day 22 Drive to Segovia
Day 23 El Escurial + Drive to Toledo
Day 24 Drive to Madrid
Day 25 bye bye....

Obviously there's a lot of sightseeing once I reach the place... i.e. won't be just driving from place to place as the itinerary suggests.

Will like comments... whether there's other places I MUST go... or whether the itinerary is too packed... too much waste of time at boring places... etc.

Also... I'm going to be driving a lot. Anything I should look out for?

Thanks!

Hi,

I will be going to Spain/Portugal for 3 weeks this coming July. I will be spending about 5 days in Barcelona (again), 2 days in Granada, 3 days in Seville, 5 days in Lisbon, 3 days in Madrid.

If you want to save time and accomodation, you may want to check out the overnight trains (Sleeper type). I am taking the one from Barcelona-Granada and Lisbon-Madrid.

Personally, I like Barcelona. There are so many different things that you can see and do there. I am particularly impressed by Gaudi's work and it is really worth a visit.

July-Aug is SUMMER sale in Spain. Zara and mango .... my wife is coming :)

Thanks all for the suggestions looks like it would be

Madrid > Bilbao > Barcelona > Seville (possibly Cordoba) > Granada > Madrid.

Anyone got any further suggestions or recommendations?
Suggestion on transport and accommodation would also be appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.