Suggested 2nd lens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hazrizal

Feb 15, 2009
Singapore
www.flickr.com
Hi everyone, I've been lurking around for a while and I just wanted to make my first post here.

And I wanted to ask a question too.

I have a D90 with 18-105MM kit lens. I'm wondering what lens you all would get as a 2nd lens for a newbie? :think:

1) What do you like to shoot?
2) What do you find limiting about the 18-105?
3) What is your budget?
4) Do you intend to stay with your D90/DX or upgrade to full-frame at some point?

Hmm I was actully thinking of a 50MM 1.8 too. Thanks! :)

I like to shoot landscapes, architecture, sunsets etc. Basically environmental stuff. And I have some indoor events to shoot in the near future.

The 50MM is ok to start off I suppose as its less than $200 (tested my friend's one and the DOF is awsome) but how about another lens thats less than say, $600? :think:

Cheers
Haz

The 50MM is ok to start off I suppose as its less than $200 (tested my friend's one and the DOF is awsome) but how about another lens thats less than say, $600? :think:

Hi Haz.. it still depends on what you want. There are too many things that cost within the stated budget, and what we need/want might not be useful to you.

But the 50mm is a good and fast prime to add to ur kit lens ( if I were u that is )

Ryan

...and moreover what do you want to shoot that can't be done with the kit lens...?

If you have too much money and just want to buy stuff, then I suggest 14-24 f/2.8, 24-70 f/2.8, 70-200 f/2.8 ;), and buy a set for me too! :D

:D... I wish that were the case. These just so many options to choose from. Guess I need some discipline and try to decide what sub-area of photographic interest I am most interested in. ;p

:D... I wish that were the case. These just so many options to choose from. Guess I need some discipline and try to decide what sub-area of photographic interest I am most interested in. ;p

perhap u can rent some lenses during the wkend and test run it?

no point buying a lens dat based on budget alone lor..:)

Hold on to your wallet? You have a pretty fine lens. Take more pictures with it and you'll be able to realize what you need.

Hold on to your wallet? You have a pretty fine lens. Take more pictures with it and you'll be able to realize what you need.

i second that bro. no point buying extra lenses which u dont need :)

I third that :)
For me, I bought kit lens and used for about 1 year before I knew what is the next type of lens that I need. And that's after about 20,000~30,000 photos :p
So I suggest hold your wallet, take lots of different genre of photos eg landscape, night view, pple, flowers, animals and try to see what type you're the most into and then decide. By that time, the price would also have dropped quite a lot.
I know it's tempting to get new gear, but we all have to control that urge sometimes :p

50mm f/1.8. It is cheap but with little compromise on quality. You'll learn alot from 50mm because:
1. Its a prime lens, meaning you need to walk arnd instead of relying on zoom. You learn about perspective.
2. It has the same perspective as the eye. (try it, place one eye at the view finder and one looking outside normally) Meaning most photos you take are just crops of what your eyes see. If you want the photo to be good, YOU have to start seeing creatively. You learn about creative perspectives.
3. It has a wide aperture. Lets you do really funky things with depth of field. One of the best things with f/1,8 is for taking portraits especially when used with a DX. You learn to control Depth of field
4. It has a wide aperture. GREAT for night/low light photography. You don't learn much here, but you have the flexibility of shooting in previously challenging places.
5. Its optical quality is good. You learn that sharpness and colour rendition, while overrated, does play a part in making your photo stand out. The same photo taken with the 50mm and your kit lens with the same conditions will likely show you slightly different variations and chances are, the 50mm version will have a more professional feel to it. You learn about what the hell is IQ and why people fawn over it
6. Its light and cheap (relatively) You learn the value of getting the most bang out of your buck ;D

PM is you need other suggestions, hope that helps

Status
Not open for further replies.