suggest digicam <$450?

Status
Not open for further replies.

d7t3

Oct 3, 2002
In the Shepherd's hands
my sis-in-law wants a digicam for $450 or less. she's not a techie so it's mainly as a P&S. she asked me to choose the model.

i was thinking of the canon A510 (quoted $420), but was recommended the kodak 7430 at $399, IIRC. however i read somewhere that some kodak digicams are too strong on sharpening. not sure about this one.

i also know that there are other cams out there... fuji, olympus, etc. but i don't have experience with them.

so what would you recommend? TIA! :D

Nikon 3700 was selling at $399 with lots of free gifts before the IT show. might be cheaper now. I have one as a small bring-around cam when I don't want to carry my DSLR.

d7t3 said:
my sis-in-law wants a digicam for $450 or less. she's not a techie so it's mainly as a P&S. she asked me to choose the model.

i was thinking of the canon A510 (quoted $420), but was recommended the kodak 7430 at $399, IIRC. however i read somewhere that some kodak digicams are too strong on sharpening. not sure about this one.

i also know that there are other cams out there... fuji, olympus, etc. but i don't have experience with them.

so what would you recommend? TIA! :D

Canon A510. :thumbsup: I canon supporter. :bsmilie:

AA batteries, 4x zoom, movie clips, 1.8" LCD, granted it's a little bit heavier and doesn't have ladies styling, but the picture quality is Great. If it was my sis-in-law, I'd be recommending a Canon :D

For a quick feature comparison, check this out: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sidebyside.asp

go for olympus AZ 1, 2.5" screen is great :thumbsup: olympus image quality not bad too and the jod dial is fun to use like those on sony discman.

Caras said:
Here: http://www.olympusimage.com.sg/products/dica/camedia/1173029_667.html#
Big screen is a Big plus. Is that really going for < $450? Sounds like a good deal too.

:bsmilie: :bsmilie: Once you are used to 2.5" screen, you feel that anything less look :bigeyes: :bigeyes: small.
use the price here as a guide.
http://www.bargaincity.com.sg/
Sld be able to get it at $20-$50 difference if you walk ard to ask for package that suits you.

thanks all! very informative. now trying to decide between:

canon a510 (4x zoom but only 3mp)
coolpix 4600 (free 512sd, 4mp but movie w/o sound??)
coolpix 3700 (best video but only 3mp)
oly c370 (free 256xd but small video n lcd)
oly az2 (4mp, 2.5 lcd but small video)

d7t3 said:
thanks all! very informative. now trying to decide between:

canon a510 (4x zoom but only 3mp)
coolpix 4600 (free 512sd, 4mp but movie w/o sound??)
coolpix 3700 (best video but only 3mp)
oly c370 (free 256xd but small video n lcd)
oly az2 (4mp, 2.5 lcd but small video)

In my opinion, the Nikon CP4600 and Olympus AZ2 are the most value for money in your list.

By now, you should have purchased a camera.
:)

casio exislim maybe can

bean: yes, those 2 are good value (4mp) BUT i've crossed them out. 4600: don't want my sis-in-law to regret having only silent movies. az2: lens widest 40mm equiv is too narrow

i haven't bought the camera yet. we aren't in a big hurry.

with the oly 370 having bad reviews about its response speed, we are left with just 2 models:

canon a510
nikon 3700

the nikon may 'win' as it is cheaper, has excellent vga 30fps video and gimmicks like the sound-activated shutter. it's also compact and metal-bodied.

but i have an a75 and it produces great photos. the 510 should be just as good.

my sis-in-law mentioned she prefers a nikon. so our 'troubles' are over. think we'll go for the coolpix 3700. thanks all for the useful advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.