Suggest Colour Printer

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Sphoenix

After the recent remark by a fellow forumner that the print from the desktop printer somehow seems to look better than that sent to the photo lab, it's got me itching ;)

What colour printer would you guys recommend? I'm a little inclined towards epson at the moment because of gimp print. Still hp has publicly backed linux so support should be forthcoming for linux as well.

My other concern would be the accessories cost ie the print catridges as well as the cost of photo paper? Btw how long does the ink last? Seen some of my old prints and they look simply awful now. The black has turned green!!! ;(

Originally posted by Sphoenix
What colour printer would you guys recommend? I'm a little inclined towards epson at the moment because of gimp print.
My other concern would be the accessories cost ie the print catridges as well as the cost of photo paper? Btw how long does the ink last? Seen some of my old prints and they look simply awful now. The black has turned green!!! ;(
YEs, itch toward Epson. 810, 890 or 895. Epson always has Bengawan Solo promotion if you happen to like BS like me. Oh no, not the Bull s***. Unfortunately, most printout will fade in turn. CK can tell you more about this.:)

Originally posted by Kevin
YEs, itch toward Epson. 810, 890 or 895. Epson always has Bengawan Solo promotion if you happen to like BS like me. Oh no, not the Bull s***. Unfortunately, most printout will fade in turn. CK can tell you more about this.:)

Yes, I wholeheartedly recommend the 890, 810 and the 790. Not that the 895 is no good, but you're paying extra for the card slot that you don't use.

Print quality is absolutely fantastic. Can almost beat a good lab's output (and totally blow away your neighbourhood lab's). And these cost less than the top of the line Canon S800. I think the 890 goes for something like $349 now.

Regards
CK

the ink and paper costs are on the order of $2-3/A4 print. There shouldn't be any more 790 now that 810 is out.

I've just found out that print head replacement is about $120++.
Estimate a 5-6 year life for your printer. Print head replacement is something you might want to do after 2-3 years. Then thereafter, replace the whole printer....

Agree on the Epson 890. Good printer. But the S800 seems to print better. And I think its S800's prints that are better than developed prints. But I think the printer cost almost $500.

Originally posted by Kevin

I just recently read that some inks can last you 5 years and some others 25 years. I was hoping that the 5 year statistic applies to the current crop of desktop printers.

Support for epson printers under linux is good too. Sigh itchy but don't want to scratch... Itch still here though. :p

I just recently read that some inks can last you 5 years and some others 25 years. I was hoping that the 5 year statistic applies to the current crop of desktop printers.

Support for epson printers under linux is good too. Sigh itchy but don't want to scratch... Itch still here though. :p

25 years if you use the Archival Matt paper and the Epson 2000P inks I think.

Regards
CK

Meet your requirements spec, Buy Buy Buy to stop the itchiness!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.