Suggest a Monitor

sanfong

Dec 4, 2007
Hi I'm looking at either Asus or Dell 23" monitors. Mainly for LR and PS.

Any recommendation?

Asus is nice for gaming. Dell ultrasharp for photo work.

which dell ultrasharp model are you using??

which dell ultrasharp model are you using??

dell or apple :)

Hi I'm looking at either Asus or Dell 23" monitors. Mainly for LR and PS.

Any recommendation?

Why not the new superfine MONOPRICE monitor? They are A-1 screen from LG I heard and they are 50% the price of a Dell monitor. Just need to check if it is compatible with Mac computer.

Get Dell with IPS panel, cheap and good.
Another good thing for Dell IPS panel is they normally come with premium warranty, 1 to 1 dead pixel exchange.

I would recommend Dell U2312HM selling at $255 in Sim Lim Square shops. I personally own a Dell U2412M and the colour reproduction is just fantastic for its price!

Color reproduction is only good if the computer is calibrated to the monitor. without calibration you'd still be in the dark

Color reproduction is only good if the computer is calibrated to the monitor. without calibration you'd still be in the dark

Agree with this! I was actually looking for a cheap IPS to replace my existing LCD and was looking around in SLS.
Saw the Dell 2312HM at Fuwell, and my, it was totally mis-configured! The screen was dull and the colors were horrendously faded (flesh looked grey)!
I think they didn't even bother to reset it to factory default after displaying it for so long!!! Went around the complex and saw some Philips IPS panels --> colors were vibrant.

Ended up, I didn't buy anything, as my good old LG LCD looks as good as the Philips after calibration (that was the first thought that came to my mind when I saw the Philips).
So I guess I will only switch to an IPS panel after my current LCD conks out.

PS: I'm not saying LCD is as good as an IPS, just saying that I don't have to go IPS for my current needs.

How about dell 27" instead. after searching and looking at review, i bought the Dell U2713HM. power consumption is low

How about dell 27" instead. after searching and looking at review, i bought the Dell U2713HM. power consumption is low
Calibrate it. Power consumptions is the least concern :)

IPS is a must if you want wider angle of view. If you are only viewing from front, TN should suffice. But most LCD rated for photo are already IPS. Colour being vibrant or not has nothing to do with accurate colour. What you want is wide gamut colours, the colour space you want to work with and colour calibration.

If you simply want the best, Eizo, NEC and Lacie produces the best screens for colour management. But they are expensive and don't know where to buy in Singapore.
Some features of NEC:
SpectraviewII | Download Spectraview2 Software

Dell and HP also have a few models, good enough for the home user. But do a google, will always have some complain about them. In fact I am using a LG IPS236 which can only support up to sRGB, 8-bit. Quite basic but good enough for me.

It is also important to also place your monitor in the right environment and to have a LCD hood where ambience light do not interfere and affect the output .

Last edited:
I have been using a cheap Korean 27 inch WQHD IPS LED panel for more than a year, and I run by my old Spyder2express for regular calibration.
Worked out fantastic by my own measure. But a word of fairness, I hardly shoot much, I do not do much intensive photo editing, and I am easily pleased with results.
Hence your requirements/mileage/expectations will vary.

Ryan

Last edited:
I have been using a cheap Korean 27 inch WQHD IPS LED panel for more than a year, and I run by my old Spyder2express for regular calibration.
Worked out fantastic by my own measure. But a word of fairness, I hardly shoot much, I do not do much intensive photo editing, and I am easily pleased with results.
Hence your requirements/mileage/expectations will vary.

Ryan

It really depends on the usage. For non critical work, any monitor with calibration will do the trick.

If you want better screen, IPS give you better accuracy, but brand like NEC, EIZO, Lacie, Quatto are very good but expensive. In Singapore, Eizo has much better support and shops sells NEC don't bother to serve when ask questions. They just want you to buy and see you later. So ask yourself, is the support important. If it is, then make your choice.

I am sure DELL monitor will do just fine with calibration if you don't depend on it for critical color matching work.

Regards,

Hart