suggest a film for 4d/4n tokyo free n easy

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpcc

Mar 29, 2004
Hi,
I am going for a 4d/4n free n easy trip with my mum and sis next week.
From my limited experience, such trips are usually not photo-conducive
as we are usually not patient enough to wait for the best light.
Anyway, Mt Fuji is out as it is too far away.
I may squeeze in a one day trip to Kamakura.
There will be some shopping and sightseeing.
(Focus is on nature, but emmm Tokyo has more contemporary than
earthy... i think :think: )
However, Tsukiji is a must and it will be scheduled on the last day.

As such, I will bring two fixed-lens point and shoots: 28mm and 40mm

I am using a (leftover) trial pack of 4 to 5 rolls of Fuji slides for my 28mm P&S
consisting of Astia, Provia, Velvia.

I planned to fix one colour film for the 40mm, use largely for candid,
travel documentary, been-there-done-that, mmmm hopefully
some glimpse of cherry blossom (but mostly will b using 28mm to cover that).

I have shortlisted the following:
1. Reala 100
2. Kodak Gold 100
3. Kodak VC 160
4. Kodak NC 160
5. Superia 200

What you all suggest?

TIA.

how about superia 400? not too sure what cam you're using but faster film will give you better speed when the sky is overcast or when it's indoor/dark.

Visit the temples too. They offer good photo opportunities.

Don't have to spend too much on special film such as NC160 etc.

suggest get Kodak Max 400 - very vibrant colour and contrast when taking landscape and esp human.

Thanks for quick reply.
my lens is 40/2.4 so should b quite ok.
Am thinking most likely majority are outdoor shot, so no need fast film lor....

But welcome all suggestions :)

PS: btw my the other cam is 28/2.8. so should b quite ok also....

Try Superia 400. You can get it for quite cheap in Cathay - $10 for 3 or something. Forget the Kodak MAX 400 unless you like something very grainy. Buy a couple of rolls of Fuji Press 800 for doing low light photography without flash if you want.

Regards
CK

If I were you I will bring Superia 200 for general purpose and Fujifilm Press 800 for low-light situations. Maybe a roll of T400CN too for fun. Enjoy your holiday!

ckiang said:
Try Superia 400. You can get it for quite cheap in Cathay - $10 for 3 or something. Forget the Kodak MAX 400 unless you like something very grainy. Buy a couple of rolls of Fuji Press 800 for doing low light photography without flash if you want.

Regards
CK

CK I agree with u. Kodak MAX 400 is too grainy for my taste too.

Hmmm,

I would use Reala 100. Nice saturated colours, esp if you are takign those cherry blossoms in full bloom.

coke21 said:
Hmmm,

I would use Reala 100. Nice saturated colours, esp if you are takign those cherry blossoms in full bloom.

I agree, Reala 100 is good for Portrait. Kodak VC 160 - I tried the 120mm format, colour is pretty nice and saturated too. Never try both for night shots.

Catalyst said:
I agree, Reala 100 is good for Portrait. Kodak VC 160 - I tried the 120mm format, colour is pretty nice and saturated too. Never try both for night shots.

My experience is that Reala is quite good for night shots, but you must use a tripod. Handholding a 100 speed film for night shots is a hit and miss affair...

Thanks for all the input. Appreciate them.
Hmmmm, i have never thought of nite shots.
come to think about it, maybe I may acquire a handheld tripod
for those dining moments....
Bringing a tripod for such trips is unlikely lah... :)

But any idea which handheld tripod to get? (less than $100 hopefully,
or should I get it in Tokyo? Sakuraya, Yodobashi??)
{handy, stable, reasonably priced, portable, ... }

Catalyst said:

I won't use Reala 100 for portraits. The colours seem too saturated for my taste. Got a few shots where skintone seems a little too red.

I tried and prefered Fuji NPC160, NPH400 for portraits. For travelling with both shooting of sceneries and people, i think you can bring along normal Superia 200 or 400, good general purpose film. ;)

Came back from Tokyo about three weeks ago. Some tips for you to think about.

Weather was really bad during that week with temperatures falling to 3 degrees centigrade. But when the weather did turn for the better, the skies were all blue and weather was something like 12 degrees centigrade. Remember to bring good moisterisers and lip balm.

Even with 400 film, pictures will not be guaranteed to be nice as bad weather automatically means colours are muted, unless you don't include much of the sky or greenery (which seems more like greyish-green) in your photos. If the weather is good, 100 or 400 film will not matter. Just make sure you use film that doe snot mute colours.

Buying photography stuff in Tokyo is expensive, even when you visit places like Bic Camera, Yodobashi, Map Camera, Sakuraya. I even went as far as to visit Fujiya, the biggest second hand camera equiptment shop in Japan, which lies along Nakano JR station. Get the Slik Pro GM tripod from Singapore instead. It only weighs about 800 grams, and the weight is not much more than an umbrella. I am not so sure if you will use your tripod at night, but it will be a boon for those group photos.

The plus side of things is that you will have a very wide range of film to choose from, e.g. Minox films, 110 Reala, but my favourite has to be Kodak's Portra 400UC. Leica/Ricoh does not go well with crappy film like Max 400. The minimum of 400 films you should try is Superia. Depending on where you stay, you can try Kodak Portra 400 UC. It costs about SGD10 per roll, but is worth it. Colours were so vibrant and almost grain free. As for Tsukiji, you may have to bring along 800 film and an extra pair of shoes, and watch out as it does not open every day.

You might not have the chance to see Mt Fuji as it is more like a whole day affair. And most of all, there is no guarantee that you will see Mt Fuji owing to the low lying clouds.

When travelling long distances, just make sure that you don't stinge by taking the local trains. The ride will be miserable, this I can guarantee you. Take the express trains, but make sure you book a day in advance and ask for the no smoking trains. Take careful note of this since you are going to Kamakura. Personally, I have not been to Kamakura, but I have tried something similar with Hakone. If you don't know, it is not an offence to smoke in restaurants and trains except for the no smoking ones i.e. subway and majority of the JR lines. So don't be surprised to be smoked out when eating at places like McDonalds, Mos Burger and any other eateries. The only places I found not to accept smoking were places like Yoshinoya and the likes i.e. Japanese fast food. The food, I can assure you, will taste better than most Japanese food in Singapore.

Some free places I would recommend you.
Tokyo Metropolitan Government Building - Free view of Tokyo from 45 floors up. If you are lucky, you can even see Mt Fuji.
The Meji-jingu Shrine at Harajuku - Absolutely beatutiful. Not sure if you will want to see another shinto shrine since you are going to Kamakura.
Ginza - Walk along the streets and you will know why. Even the people look different.

Some places I would not recommend
Tokyo Tower. Tourist trap.
Asakusa - not the surrounding area, but the shrine itself. Tourist trap.
Disneyland - The place is for kids.

One other thing. When you are there, closely scrutinise the eyebrows of the younger Japanese men, and tell me what you have observed. Also, if you see Japanese girls powdering or applying lipstick in public, observe the size of their mirrors.

Good advice and good observation, bingo ;)

Anyway, am quite blur now.
Original thought of standardising on one film for the 40mm lens but
seems like quite difficult.

Anyway, really like the tone of reala.
Just checked with Cathay and they only stocked Portra 400VC.
:(

But if Tsukiji warrants 800 speed, would black n white be good.
(thinking of CN400)..... ;p :think:

Read that there are losta metrosexual Japanese guys these days,
and was not surprise that they pick their brows or even apply
makeup. In fact, one department in Tky has employed dedicated
male stuff to offer makeup advice to guys...
:sweat: :bigeyes: :sweat:

Thanks for all e advise...

btw, will go down to cathay this afternoon, any good table tripod to get??

Just came back and had developed my films..... not too happy with results .
:cry:

"Parchiao" is right, the first two days is quite cool (10-15deg)
It was largely overcast and dull, as such I couldn't take much outdoor
shots as I have loaded Reala 100. Should have rewind the roll and
use Fuji Press or CN400.

Anyway, films over there are not really cheap unless your first stop is
Sakuraya or Yodobashi.... (anyway, didn't visit any of them during my trip)

There are lotsa convenient store (similar to our 7/11) over there.
e.g. am/pm, Newsday, Lawson, ....
but they stock Fuji Venus rather than Superia (never try that film).

My suggestion is to check with guys who just came back from the
place before your trip and buy the film in Singapore.
Load the film only on that particular day and finish the roll (if possible).

Kamakura is beautiful but the train in morning peak hours (before 9am) are quite packed.

Tsukiji is largely indoor and quite crowded. A wide angle and high ASA is recommended.

Not much chance to take street shots as Japanese usually walks at a very fast pace. I was in a bad timing too because there were Japanese being held
hostage in Iraq, so things are quite tense at that time.

Tokyo is great for shopping and ladies should have a great time. :bsmilie:
(if you have enough $$)

Weather is quite good (15deg - 25deg) subsequently but best to dress in
layers....

Quite a lot of walking, so wear some comfortable shoes.

Table tripod: bought a cheapo 12$ Canon tabletop tripod and brought there.
However, that tripod has real flimsy legs and cannot even support my
P&S in portrait mode. :cry: Very disappointed.
Thinks CP's Manfrotto tabletop is one of the best around (~85$)

can try stock up some Velvia100 from Japan.
Its the only place on earth to get that film, in stores.

Diablo said:
can try stock up some Velvia100 from Japan.
Its the only place on earth to get that film, in stores.

Go there, buy bulk rolls. Come back load into your own film canisters and sell them at exorbitant prices. Velvia 100 is a much better slide than 100F. :bsmilie:

if u dun mind,
can i topang u to buy 10 rolls(in a pack) + 2 rolls of Velvia100? :D

I'll pay a part of it 1st, of course..

Status
Not open for further replies.