Sufficient for a Malay wedding coverage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

velasco

Jul 7, 2006
PARISris , Singapore
ukellyclarkson.com
Hello wello !

I am shooting my cousin's wedding next week. Experience=zilch. My sister's friend is gonna be my assistant (the roles are interchangeable I believe :) ) I have asked his preferred gears, he said it is up to me to rent for him as he only had gears during his NS stint being the official photographer for CD. So I think im renting him 40D while passing on my lenses to him :sweat:

Okay, onto the situation. I need some advice whether the body and lens i've picked is passable? Are all ranges covered and did I miss anything crucial?

My cousin is not setting any standards since it is out of goodwill but i wanna make this a learning curve.

The gears

Mine

Canon EOS 450D
Canon 10-22 mm f3.5-4.5 USM (EF-S) (renting)
Canon 50 mm f1.4USM (renting)
Canon 24-70 mm f2.8 L USM (renting)
Nissin Di622 Flash n Omnibounce

His
Canon EOS 40D
Canon 50 mm f1.8
Canon 18-55 mm f3.5-5.6 IS (EF-S)
Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS
Canon 430 EX w 2 sets of batteries n Omnibounce

Seeking your valuable advice. Thanks guys!

Hello wello !

I am shooting my cousin's wedding next week. Experience=zilch. My sister's friend is gonna be my assistant (the roles are interchangeable I believe :) ) I have asked his preferred gears, he said it is up to me to rent for him as he only had gears during his NS stint being the official photographer for CD. So I think im renting him 40D while passing on my lenses to him :sweat:

Okay, onto the situation. I need some advice whether the body and lens i've picked is passable? Are all ranges covered and did I miss anything crucial?

My cousin is not setting any standards since it is out of goodwill but i wanna make this a learning curve.

The gears

Mine

Canon EOS 450D

His
Canon EOS 40D
Canon 50 mm f1.8

depends how detailed the couple and you want it to be. If you know what you are doing, an 18-200 with external flash with a decent speed slr can do the job quite well.

if you are not really confident, how about using the rent money to hiring a experienced photographer as a wedding gift for the couple.

I have seen a Malay wedding taken entirely by Sigma 10-20, personally I have used Tamron 17-50 on 350D for some weddings (not as main photographer) and many times I have seen 5D2 with 24-70 / 24-105. Usually as a photographer you won't shoot from far behind (you'll only get heads of relatives walking around and blocking the view), so anything longer doesn't seem to be useful to me to cover the couple and the main activities. Flash and adjustments to the location (diffuser, bounce card etc.) as well as knowing the procedures and being at the right place is more important.
The longer lenses can come handy if you want to snap candids (good job for the 2nd photographer).

I had used a 16-85mm on a D50 body for a Malay wedding shoot. It worked fine. My usual set-up would be 17-55mm f2.8 with 50mm f1.4 on 2 bodies for wedding shots. I had seen your shots before, you do have the talent to pull it off.

Last edited:
I think u just need a 17-55mm f2.8 and maybe. 10-20mm range to cover as close to the couple as possible.
For yr friend, probably 24-70 is okay or even the same a 17-55mm to cover slightly further back to capture candid pix of guest, parents, ceremony, settings etc.
Best u two have different roles to avoid missing out on the moments.

Mine

Canon EOS 450D

His
Canon EOS 40D
Canon 50 mm f1.8

Big wedding or small wedding? Many people in attendance? Where is the nikah ceremony held? Big hall? Small living room?

If you're going to shoot two photographers in tandem, you have to be very sure what your roles are, and this will in turn, affect what gear you should use. Usually, there will be a main photographer and the second photographer. The main one will get all the people shots, faces must be clearly lit, everything bright and in sharp focus. Better if this person park him/herself in front of the pelamin as there could be many groups coming in to pose throughout the day. If 1st photographer tries to be fancy and run around, people might get irritated if the photographer is nowhere near the pelamin when needed.

2nd photographer will then rove and do all the creative shots. 10-22mm, 50/1.4, 55-250 should be fine.

If this is the first time you're doing it, then try to keep things simple. I'd even recommend that the first photographer keep the 18-55 on all the time and use nothing else.

Here's my recommended config:
Main photog:
EOS40D
18-55mm
430EX

2nd photog
450D
55-250
50/1.4
10-20

Good luck.

if u need to ask, then just get one lens each (say 18-50, 18-200, etc) that could cover most of the pics and use ur legs to "zoom" if needed. else you'll probably end up missing important while u're changing lens.

anway, one advice i would give is that for any posed shots (e.g. group shots), only one of you should be shooting at any one time. the other should keep the camera down, so that you don't have eyes looking at different directions and spoiling pictures.

Last edited:
Oh ya. Having too many lens is not advisable to me. Unless yr lenses are very wide apart in range. Since u r renting, get one to cover the range of yr roles makes more sense then keep changing lens and miss out kodak moments

I suggest renting the EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM than the Canon 24-70 mm f2.8 L USM. On your 450D, the 24-70 just isn't wide enough and really if you only have one body, for such event, the last thing you wanna do is to change lenses frequently.

I suggest renting the EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM than the Canon 24-70 mm f2.8 L USM. On your 450D, the 24-70 just isn't wide enough and really if you only have one body, for such event, the last thing you wanna do is to change lenses frequently.

I was just about to post the exact same thing. But I definitely agree.

You might also consider doing without the 50mm1.4, and keep the 10-22 if you really feel you need the UWA.
But for malay weddings, I don't think you'll need one, unless its held in a community centre or ballroom.
You might want to consider the 70-200 for candids. Just my thoughts.

Lastly, gd luck and most importantly enjoy yourself!

More than sufficient, just that... apart from the useful advices, if you're unfamilar with Malay weddings, make sure you find out what's transpiring, and their customs so you'll be prepared. I'm lucky to have pulled through malay and indian weddings.

I find generally some Malays are not in favour of you shooting while the MUA is at work (traditionally men aren't even allowed to touch or be near the bride). Just find out theirs.

Hi Ts,

Just curious, does the wedding happen to be at Senja? Its a slim chance although I know there could be 100s of wedding coming up.. Just wondering.. ;)

Hi there,

I think 2 bodies; one wide angle and the other one for zoom, should be ok. Malay weddings as well as other wedding ceremonies will be conducted more or less in a routine way. be prepared to be at the 'right' location. Recce and be early. Since two photographers will be there, knowing that no one takes the same pictures is good. Having a nice fast lens is crucial.

Just my 2 cents.

Okay, I just read every single response in detail. Thanks for the advice, suggestions, compliments and well wishes.

I gathered that the gears chosen is passable. I shall have fun and go all out for it.
Yes, I will liaise with my assistant on our roles and responsibilities.

I think I'm looking into this ,EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM as an alternative for the 24-70 one and thought of dropping the 50mm 1.4 lens is 1.8 is enough.

I will recee the place since it's my cousin's house tomorrow and on by next wednesday after the void deck deco has been put up.
thanks again for the support guys

cheers,
iskandar!

The last time i tried and success was by using 50mm f1.4 only. I did bring along some other lens but somehow i use totally 50mm. Group photo was done well too. I brought along flash but end up i didnt use it. If can, try get 24-70 f2.8 for main photographer and 70-200 f2.8 for 2nd photographer. work together when shooting. make a plan. Who to focus on? and so on. Main photographer focus on the bride n groom while 2nd photographer take the mood of people around the bride and groom. Nikah, best for main photographer to take picture. Sit nearby the Tok. 2nd photographer best sit somewhere which can pan around and have view of the bride and groom as well.

My two cents.

best of luck. :D

IMHO, your gears and your partner's are more then enough.

Have both of you experienced shooting any events?
Have both of you very experienced in changing lenses?

If answers to the above 2 questions are positive, you can continue your planned gear list.
I not, why don't make it simpler, like rent a 17-55, or use what you have, no need rent.
Also, if any of you like to use tele lens, then just one of the camera mounted tele, another mounted 17-55 or the kit.

Just my armature experience.

Hello wello !

The gears

Mine
Canon EOS 450D

His
Canon EOS 40D
Canon 50 mm f1.8

Nikah or Bersanding?
if nikah is in a 3-room flat. bro 450D (unless full frame) 24-70 not enuf. You'd just cover the tok kadi and the pengantin, salam-salam only. Dont forget to cover the walis.

Than when you go into the bedroom with the tok kadi -signing the contract. Worst - just watch out for family members who will be in your way. Just make your way to the bed room before the tok kadi proceeds there.

So basically during the nikah, since you have a 450D the probable lens to use is the 16-35mm f2.8L lens (rental is $30 to $40, if you need to know where.. just PM me)

I realised both cameras are not on full frame so you guys would be shooting tight (1/6 cropping) especially IF the nikah is in a small enclosed area. Try to avoid changing lens in between the nikah, you'll lose precious moments. worst - dropping the lens.

Do consider how much you are going to spend on rentals. basically a 24-70 L lens (the red ring) and a 5D is sufficient (total damage= less than $100)

For further advise you can PM me la. I have wedding coming up this weekend too- hope its not the same one. hahahahaa

Cheers and good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.