sucidal intention

footscape87

Feb 13, 2010
4785376301_c1d8a4e11e_b.jpg

1. In which area is critique or feedback to be given?
- the feel of the picture..

2. What were you hoping to achieve with this image?
- a feel of sucidal intention.., with the red colour shoe as the main subject,red colour holds a strong meaning to the chinese

3. Under what circumstance was the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
- with the thought of a friend who just commited sucide and with a sense or sorrowness..

4. Thread-starter's personal thoughts about the image.
- i guess if not due to space constraint wise.,it could be a better idea to include more of the windows portion to give a wider feel

Last edited:
The left shoe lace seems to be neatly tucked into the shoe? And the angle between them not natural. In local context, someone is unlikely to wear shoes indoors too.

Seems like the act has already been committed. "Suicide" seems more appropriate?

Seems like a young person. School-going. Acted on impulse? May need more elements in the room to give a more complete picture.

Thanks.

Last edited:
i don't see how shoes in front of a window signify suicidal intentions.

if i wanted to jump from my house, and i was wearing shoes, i won't take them off.

if i wanted to jump from my house, and i wasn't wearing shoes, i would not find a pair of shoes to place it there for whatever reason.

if i wanted to jump from my house, and i was wearing shoes, i won't take them off.

if i wanted to jump from my house, and i wasn't wearing shoes, i would not find a pair of shoes to place it there for whatever reason.

:bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

thats where u are wrong. people who jump usually remove their shoes. i have no idea why but thats how we find out which floor they jump from.

thats where u are wrong. people who jump usually remove their shoes. i have no idea why but thats how we find out which floor they jump from.

well, it may be common, but it's not universal:

http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/ek20060117wh.html

in any case, that has more to do with the act of suicide itself, a little to do with intentions. i'm not a fan of tying photos to titles rather than titles to photos, but the picture here seems a bit too literal, and too cheesey. unless a photo has great impact, it is better to keep the viewer thinking, rather than presenting all your cards right away. :)

Last edited:
well, it may be common, but it's not universal:

http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/ek20060117wh.html

in any case, that has more to do with the act of suicide itself, a little to do with intentions. i'm not a fan of tying photos to titles rather than titles to photos, but the picture here seems a bit too literal, and too cheesey. unless a photo has great impact, it is better to keep the viewer thinking, rather than presenting all your cards right away. :)

at least in the local context, its common i guess.

but yeah, presentation in such a manner seems cliche and cheesy.

I thought the mood of the picture was conveyed pretty well - gloomy and sorrowful, the common-/non-sense of shoes aside. :embrass:

Considering the circumstances that the picture was taken in, perhaps you could try expressing the sorrow you felt instead of suicidal intent? It's easier to express that which you feel than that which you don't (imho).

I think... it'll be healthier for you to express your feelings (through photography or talking with family/friends). Don't keep things bottled up and good attempt. :)

I really don't know how to critique pictures like these. :dunno:
I'm looking for pictorial qualities and sadly I can't find any (maybe its me).
My suggestion to TS is to be less drama and shoot real subjects rather than seting things up. You can go to Serangoon in the early morning and shoot. Look out for quality of light, shadows, reflections, colours, etc.

apart from the pic being slightly tilted... i think the composition and contrast are rather interesting...

perhaps the shoes can be slightly messed up... maybe one straight and the other flipped the other way... and shoe laces scattered...
as if in a hurry...

still nice.

i think the post processing is alright.
just the styling of the photo doesnt work for me.

I feel if someone were to jump off a building, he/she won't have time nor the mindset to tuck in the shoelaces.

why not try something more "untidy"..

- place the shoes such that they look like they were being kicked off instead of taken off. (one could be upside down, another could be laying on its side)

- if the person were to JUMP off the building, the chair could be laying on it's side inside of right side up

i think the post processing is alright.
just the styling of the photo doesnt work for me.

I feel if someone were to jump off a building, he/she won't have time nor the mindset to tuck in the shoelaces.

why not try something more "untidy"..

- place the shoes such that they look like they were being kicked off instead of taken off. (one could be upside down, another could be laying on its side)

- if the person were to JUMP off the building, the chair could be laying on it's side inside of right side up

You could be technically right. But it's only a photo. I cannot understand is why read so much into the intention. :confused:

Hey, I like it.
To me it is more suicide as someone else has stated.
would be good with a letter and pencil or maybe an envelope there somewhere.
I like the processing and to me very artsy! :thumbsup:
Kinda reminds me of a DVD cover from some movie.

as for having the shoes inside, to me this is fine I come from Australia and we wear our shoes inside all the time, so no dramas there unless you were going for the Chinese theme, in which i have no idea there?

best regards to your friends family and friends.

You could be technically right. But it's only a photo. I cannot understand is why read so much into the intention. :confused:

Well he is asking for critiques or feedbacks issint he ?
I might be "picking bones in an egg" but these are what i felt~

The title is...intention, but looks more like he/she had jumped. Maybe with the stool place side way would have been more appropriate.

The title is...intention, but looks more like he/she had jumped. Maybe with the stool place side way would have been more appropriate.
agree with this.

so TS if you want to stick your title, perhaps you can include a the jumper writing a note or climbing up the window in your picture.

or revise the title.

as in this photo, the clue of telling people this is a suicide scene is not strong enough, you need to add one or two more elements....

perhaps you are showing a wider scene, the jumper leaving some belongings and forming a trail, so we can know more about the jumper..... like brake up letter, medical report, school report book, newspaper, or even note from ah long etc......

Just my 2 cents worth:

As it already has been mentioned... the title needs revision. For me, it's too literal and too narrow, it's almost as if you're dictating how your viewers interpret your photo, which I don't think should be the case in artistic shots such as this.

On a positive note, the PP looks okay even though I'm not a fan of selective desaturation. Interestingly, I thought the watermark added to the photo a little- the Chinese words there give that loan shark/run down HDB feel to it- although I don't think you intended that..!

Hope this helps!
AC

IMO this idea has potential. I'm personally prefer the composition to be wider. It could probably be a landscape where darkness engulf almost everything except the window of escape, the chair and the shoe.

Currently my eyes are struggling between the whole white space out of the window and the second half of the photo due to the tight portrait orientation.

I'm fine with red color as it also gives a sense or morbidness and dark humor, however I think it can be toned down to make the flow of the message smoother.

I may be over reacting to this but I don't think you should treat it simply as a 'photo'.
It's a message, an art trying to portray a mood or emotion.

This is what gives more value to photos.

My suggestion to TS is to be less drama and shoot real subjects rather than seting things up. You can go to Serangoon in the early morning and shoot. Look out for quality of light, shadows, reflections, colours, etc.

I'm sorry but I have to disagree with this, there's nothing wrong with being 'drama' and try to choreograph something meaningful.

Last edited: