Stupid question: Aperture and shutter setting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kimlee

Jan 23, 2005
Lavender
Hi to all,

Currently using my A75 PNS, i look at the LCD to set the aperture and shutter value as it give a rough preview of what is the outcome of the shot.

I do not own any DSLR, just want to know something... so please don't flame me, thanks. :bsmilie:

:dunno:

As DSLR have no preview, so does its means that the Aperture and shutter setting has to depend on the user's experience? Or there is a default value to follow (like certain time of the day).

EF 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 II USM. f/3.5 is the maximum aperture for 28mm and f/4.5 is the maximum aperture for 105mm. what happen if aperture setting not within range?

Does this lens have AF? EF 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 II USM.

example: Using the above lens:
How do i shoot something far away using a DSLR on AF. There's no zoom buttom on DSLR.

Do i swtich to MF first, zoom to the correct focal length and swtich back to AF?

Thank you all in advance. :sweatsm:

If you care to come to my office and treat me a coffee, I will show you around the DSLR. From your questions, it seems that you have not put your hands on a SLR b4.

No problem, there is always a first time for everyone.

ortega said:
If you care to come to my office and treat me a coffee, I will show you around the DSLR. From your questions, it seems that you have not put your hands on a SLR b4.

great offer! go for it!

ortega said:

Can i join in as well? Can i? ;p

/me start a new thread to organise outing to ortega's office... :bsmilie:

think this guy rather near to my place... perhaps should convert him to Konica Minolta user... :sweat:

Thats quite a lot of question, best to get hands on experience to answer them like what ortega offered. Just don't get lured by him later into the dark side ;p

just accept the offer..... can i join as well? i also newbie........it doesn't matter which side you go as long as you have fun shooting..... :bsmilie:

yea

lLet's all go to ortega's office
1 kopi shared by all shdnt be much wor.

haha

Oh, so many people. I can only drink so much coffee.
Better move location to starbucks at concourse, so everyone share for 1 cup of coffee only.

give in to your hate and feel the force grow stronger....

CDA where are you located? Convert me, cannot lah, too many buttons, this monkey only know how to press one button. ha ha

its easier to convert a nikonian than a canon... cos canon body is too clean liao... nikons have more buttons... but minolta have the most...

think if Canon are Jedis, Nikons are Sith... den Minoltas are Droids?

BTW I converted to HP already, could not sell my P&S so I am using it now.
Try to take nice pictures and post.

Haha PnS newbie now. must learn how to use the camera. Time to RTFM

hey, cool! finally the minoltians have a proper nickname - Jawas! somehow, it really suits them. :bsmilie:

ortega - at this rate, u might need to start selling tickets for ur DSLR demo lesson already... :sweat:

kimlee - looks like u have not seen or even operated on a SLR/DSLR b4. do u have any frens who own one? mebbe u can borrow to experiment.

can I get sistic to handle it for me?
Maybe I should change the location to the indoor stadium?

Does anyone know how much they charge?

nightwolf75 said:
hey, cool! finally the minoltians have a proper nickname - Jawas! somehow, it really suits them. :bsmilie:

ortega - at this rate, u might need to start selling tickets for ur DSLR demo lesson already... :sweat:

kimlee - looks like u have not seen or even operated on a SLR/DSLR b4. do u have any frens who own one? mebbe u can borrow to experiment.

Hi noghtwolf75,

You want to lend me yours? :bsmilie:

Nope, dun have friend that own a DSLR or SLR. But I am looking at 350D so need to know more. ;p

ortega said:
can I get sistic to handle it for me?
Maybe I should change the location to the indoor stadium?

Does anyone know how much they charge?

go! go! go! buy! buy! buy!

so when's coffee?

Alamak, how? :dunno: Anyone can answer my question? :cool:

Why the price of coffee is too expansive?

too many questions, cannot be answered via the forum,
better to have hands on.

If you work in lavender, then it is near my office.

ortega said:
Why the price of coffee is too expansive?

too many questions, cannot be answered via the forum,
better to have hands on.

If you work in lavender, then it is near my office.

no lah, no problem for kopi but got to work... :angel: Only can drop by on weekend, If you work on weekend?? :D

Kimlee said:
no lah, no problem for kopi but got to work... :angel: Only can drop by on weekend, If you work on weekend?? :D

Ooops, then sorry, on weekends I am out taking pictures, what I can suggest you do is to get hold of a SLR or DSLR to fiddle around with and get to know the camera. But beware the pull ofthe SLR, once you get into it, your bank account will suffer.

If you don't know anyone with one to lend to you, go to the camera shop and ask to see one.

Cheers

Kimlee said:
As DSLR have no preview, so does its means that the Aperture and shutter setting has to depend on the user's experience? Or there is a default value to follow (like certain time of the day).

EF 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 II USM. f/3.5 is the maximum aperture for 28mm and f/4.5 is the maximum aperture for 105mm. what happen if aperture setting not within range?

Does this lens have AF? EF 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 II USM.

example: Using the above lens:
How do i shoot something far away using a DSLR on AF. There's no zoom buttom on DSLR.

Do i swtich to MF first, zoom to the correct focal length and swtich back to AF?

Thank you all in advance. :sweatsm:

Every DSRL has a meter and you will see the readings from the viewfinder.

There is no preview so you cannot see the final picture b4 the shutter is depressed.

There is no correct setting to follow, it all depends on what you want to acheive.

the aperture is different for every lens, every lens has a range of aperture that can be used. In your example f3.5 to about f22 (guessing only) I am from the dark side, so I don't really know about these white lenses.

The lens that you mentioned has AF
The zoom button on a dslr is around the lens.
you zoom to compose your shot and then press the shutter button to activate the AF and metering. and take the picture.

I don't know if this will help you but I tried.
Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.