stupid qn, how to check shuttle count of DSLR?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darren

ClubSNAP Admin
Staff member
Jan 16, 2002
Melbourne
As far as I know, there is no DSLR today that provides that information to the user (eg through a menu selection or command).

The shutter information is only available to the camera manufacturer's technicians (presumably they have to use a special app to query the camera's electronics).

A simple way to keep track yourself ...
1. Make sure camera is set to do sequential numbering of imgs
2. Keep track of when the counter changes (typically its a cycle from 0001 to 9999)
3. That should give you a rough gauge of how many times you have tripped the shutter.

Of course, the above falls down if:
a) you regularly trip the shutter without a memory card (thus no img# generated)
b) different numbering schemes are used for different types of files (eg for NEF/RAW, JPEG, TIFF, etc)

In short, without going back to the camera manufacturer, Ordinary Joe User will not be able to get accurate shutter information.

espn

Deregistered
Dec 20, 2002
Planet Nikon
Darren said:
As far as I know, there is no DSLR today that provides that information to the user (eg through a menu selection or command)
IIRC, Jed mentioned the Kodak DSLR does show the shutter count...

tomshen

Feb 20, 2002
Singapore
For some Canon models, you can send to the service center and request them to check for u. The have a software to gather the data.

EOS500N

Jul 24, 2003
www.pbase.com
chenwei said:
wat's tat abt? share? :eek:
a case of wrong spelling. original poster of this thread spelled shutter as "shuttle". n ronald susilo is singapore's top badminton player. hence can ask him for the "shuttle" count. tongue in cheek. :bsmilie:

chaotic

Feb 14, 2002
gosh when you explain so clearly, the joke becomes so lame lol :bsmilie:

scanner

Jan 24, 2002
Visit site
Belle&Sebastain said:
for canon users, you can go down to harbourfront office, they will galdly check for your for $20 excluding GST.
Interesting, you need to pay for such service.
I've not pay for such service, to me as well as those users (you know who you are) its a compliment service. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom