stupid people everywhere...

nightwolf75

Staff member
Dec 18, 2003
really MORE diaper changes
kidding.jpg

[source: here] i will never again grumble how dumb our local security guards are whenever i decided to take a pic in a shopping centre...

The story tells that they allow film cameras of larger formats. That would include field cameras without mirrors.
The US security guard was told by his management to use this mirror feature as a means to distinguish the serious photographers from the less serious photographers. The fundamental reason behind the US rule is safety of the photographers.

But security guards in Singapore forbid photographers for different reasons. It is not about the safety of the photographers.
In Singapore when this happens, it is about:

1) An abuse of power/authority by the security guard. Usually the SGs are foreign workers on work permit. When they are given a uniform and a little authority as a SG, many get carried away. One way to test a person's character is to give him a little bit of authority/power and then sit back and watch for some time. The people with lousy character will always abuse their authority/power.

2) The security guards in Singapore tend to learn to stratify people into classes..... (Racist remarks removed) .... So if the SG is nasty to you, that means he has mentally slotted you into a pigeon hole that says "lower class Singaporean - can bully". He would not dare to confront you if he has observed you and mentally classified you into "powerful and rich Singaporean - don't mess around with him".

(Mod: Racist remarks removed....)

Last edited:
So far my experience with the security at mrt has been good and polite. They like to check me probably because I carry big camera bags or lightstand bags. When they see inside are cameras they are satisfied.

I also saw a group of special force police doing spot check on a guy in orchard mrt and asking him a lot of questions. That guy looks like a foreigner and he was taking photos of the station with his DSLR. I think it was necessary coz if you remember some years ago got extremists planning to bomb yishun mrt: Yishun MRT Station - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:
So far my experience with the security at mrt has been good and polite. They like to check me probably because I carry big camera bags or lightstand bags. When they see inside are cameras they are satisfied.

I also saw a group of special force police doing spot check on a guy in orchard mrt and asking him a lot of questions. That guy looks like a foreigner and he was taking photos of the station with his DSLR. I think it was necessary coz if you remember some years ago got extremists planning to bomb yishun mrt: Yishun MRT Station - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

i don't begrudge the police for doing their jobs. i am more irritated by idiotic rent-a-cops in malls who stop me shooting my kids, in a mall, when hopping... a bit of common sense, if u will.

in any case, u guys are missing the point of the story- this guy was not given a permit becos his camera is not pro enuf... nevermind if he is a pro...

I see. Happened to me before also, few years ago. Was testing lens in a shopping mall at Chinatown. Security auntie at shopping mall stopped me.

I've encountered a number of very annoying security guards too. One stopped me from taking a photo of my kid in a supermarket. My own condo guard tried to stop me from taking photos of my condo in my condo common area.

Another guard from a posh condo in orchard area came to the main road OUTSIDE the condo to shoo me away when I stopped by the roadside to take a call, even threatening to report me to traffic police when I refused. I was not obstructing traffic n it was perfectly legal to stop there.

These guards basically have no flexibility, no empowerment to deviate from SOPs, no common sense, and too eager to exercise some authority. There are some very courteous n some very good security guards too of course. But not that hard to kenna a neanderthal from time to time.

I must say that those pics of Antelope Canyon are really very nice. Would love to visit there some day too.

The rule is quite dumb, I must agree. So if I do happen to go, I must bring along my OM-D AND my old Canon 300D. The 300D just to gain entry as a "professional". lol!
Imagine someone with a Leica M9 with Leica lens would be classified as less than a person with an entry-level DSLR. :confused:

Sorry to be on the other side when it comes of taking photos inside a shopping mall etc. these are private areas with public access some private places they dont allow any form of photography so that's no questions if they stop you from taking picture they have the right to do it. Same goes for some govt own places like MRT due to security reasons.

Lets go back to the TS post I think tht's kinda lame reason not giving permit to shoot coz his/her gears are not pro? that just crazy... they should not care if a person is using his phone to shoot a movie or having a photo shoot he was just applying for permit to shoot....

Show the US security guard this camera that has got mirror.

$(KGrHqMOKowE6)tF6-bMBOu4uNomjw~~60_1.JPG

The SMRT personnel stopped me from taking pictures at Esplanade MRT station. I wasn't even inside the station per se, I was still outside the ticket gates. :(

The SMRT personnel stopped me from taking pictures at Esplanade MRT station. I wasn't even inside the station per se, I was still outside the ticket gates. :(

This is based on security risk.

This is based on security risk.

That's weird. I thought I saw some tourists taking pics inside Changi MRT st. without getting stopped. Maybe photog here should pose as tourist first.

albertsy2 said:

http://www.smrt.com.sg/RiderGuide/FAQ.aspx

You are allowed to take, according to guidelines recently posted by SMRT. Note the conditions though, 10-4 on weekdays. Show them the page. If they still persist, you can always note their name down and give feedback to SMRT that their staff awareness should be improved. Cheers.

At the part:

Are there any other details I need to take note of?

In the event of any dispute, decisions and actions taken by our station and security staff shall be final.

There goes all the preparations above.

here's the catch of filming and photo inside SMRT/MRT stations and train

So this means you cant post any of your pix in the internet as internet is considered public :). But there are instances you taking photo of your friends/family in the MRT normally they wont stop you but if you're taking pix of the of areas inside MRT station they may stop you if you get seen. You know security issue and the Yishun MRT issue before so it's a security concern to them sometimes ppl get away with it as not always someone watching everyone... To me Gov't and private establishment they have some guidelines and once we are in thier realm we need to follow it. In the US they have specific law on photography and what are allowed and not. Not sure about in Singapore though.

Can I take photographs or videos within SMRT train stations?

Yes, if it is for personal use and all photographs and/or videos taken are not reproduced for public viewing or sharing.

If you are using the photographs and/or videos for your wedding, academic projects and/or any for profit purposes, please obtain our written consent before proceeding with your photography and/or filming.

But for sure Private places with public access are still considered as Private and they can allow or not allow such activities. So to all those angry and making some bad sweeping statement against security guards pls lah they are just following instructions dont be so judgemental, saying such nasty remarks to them. I knew some security guards was once a bank executive and he retired and just want a simple job that he is not stressed so he is now a security guard and he drives a BMW to work to him he just need a past time coz he dont want to stay at home doing nothing he got his future secured all his kids finishes UNI and have thier own career and family even his wife works as a Recep coz they dont want to be idle.

Last edited:
That's weird. I thought I saw some tourists taking pics inside Changi MRT st. without getting stopped. Maybe photog here should pose as tourist first.

they are just lucky bro I too sometimes manages to get some pix inside or outside coz some station really looks nice the design and displays are good. Sometimes I get caugth and just show them my IC and tell them I'm a hobbyist most of the time they let me go sometimes they do ask to delete some photos specially those showing sensitive areas.

To me it's I am not upset as they were asked to do such checks or work both mutual respect will go a long way there a lot of times they even say sorry sir we are being told to do this hope you understand :). This normally caomes after I am being nice to them when they asked me or stop me and check my pix. Normally I tell story like this station so nice too bad cant take pix see the wall decor and arts etc etc... ;-)

Last edited:
At the part:

Are there any other details I need to take note of?

In the event of any dispute, decisions and actions taken by our station and security staff shall be final.

There goes all the preparations above.

Well, while that is true, I think it does show a willingness to try to compromise. So let's give them some credit, no? :)

here's the catch of filming and photo inside SMRT/MRT stations and train

So this means you cant post any of your pix in the internet as internet is considered public :). But there are instances you taking photo of your friends/family in the MRT normally they wont stop you but if you're taking pix of the of areas inside MRT station they may stop you if you get seen. You know security issue and the Yishun MRT issue before so it's a security concern to them sometimes ppl get away with it as not always someone watching everyone... To me Gov't and private establishment they have some guidelines and once we are in thier realm we need to follow it. In the US they have specific law on photography and what are allowed and not. Not sure about in Singapore though.

Can I take photographs or videos within SMRT train stations?

Yes, if it is for personal use and all photographs and/or videos taken are not reproduced for public viewing or sharing.

If you are using the photographs and/or videos for your wedding, academic projects and/or any for profit purposes, please obtain our written consent before proceeding with your photography and/or filming.

But for sure Private places with public access are still considered as Private and they can allow or not allow such activities. So to all those angry and making some bad sweeping statement against security guards pls lah they are just following instructions dont be so judgemental, saying such nasty remarks to them. I knew some security guards was once a bank executive and he retired and just want a simple job that he is not stressed so he is now a security guard and he drives a BMW to work to him he just need a past time coz he dont want to stay at home doing nothing he got his future secured all his kids finishes UNI and have thier own career and family even his wife works as a Recep coz they dont want to be idle.
Well, if you shoot, and share publicly, what do you think will happen?

With all the Stompers shooting people doing funky stuff in the trains or the stations...

Well, if you shoot, and share publicly, what do you think will happen?

With all the Stompers shooting people doing funky stuff in the trains or the stations...

Bro with the age ot terrorism we should be careful on what we are posting and sharing... you may not knowingly shgaring photos that shows sensitive information. I heard a case before an employee posted a photo of him in the office and he didn't knew behind him showing some company data/info that could be used by competitors. Same goes with public safety we should all be thinking if the photos we are sharing specially posting in the web like those photo uploading sites that's open for public could or may be used to plan an attack.

To me the bottomline is respect rules and guidlines there are put there for a reason not just anyhow put there for fun :).

albertri said:
Bro with the age ot terrorism we should be careful on what we are posting and sharing... you may not knowingly shgaring photos that shows sensitive information. I heard a case before an employee posted a photo of him in the office and he didn't knew behind him showing some company data/info that could be used by competitors. Same goes with public safety we should all be thinking if the photos we are sharing specially posting in the web like those photo uploading sites that's open for public could or may be used to plan an attack.

To me the bottomline is respect rules and guidlines there are put there for a reason not just anyhow put there for fun :).

I don't begrudge rules. I just think that line is not enforceable. It's like telling people that they cannot fart in MRT trains. Good reason? Not that bad. But you can't stop people either.

The additional line just looks as if they can't make up their mind on what they want. If terrorists shoot the trains for personal use, they would be well within the guidelines on the site.