Stuff req'd for DSLR when travelling

Status
Not open for further replies.

SaveHorses

May 2, 2008
Hi everyone, I'm a relatively new DSLR user & will be going overseas for a 2 wks holiday in June this year. Definitely bringing my Canon 400D along with 2 batts and a 4 GB CF card along.

However, need u guys to suggest whether I should get another 2 4GB CF cards or to bring a hard disk along. I would think the former is much more handy to do so. If so, will a total of 8GB storage be more than sufficient (if i will to record my pics in the largest format)?

In addition, I would need a tripod. I have only a standard 18-55 lens. Any recommendations which brand/model & where to get it? Saw promo @ Cathay Photo on SLIK Sprint Pro EZ tripod @ S$128 & Manfrotto 785B MODO Maxi Tripod @ S$99 . What will u guys recommend?

On top of the above, would really appreciate it if you guys can add on to what other dslr related accessories I would need to bring for my upcoming trip (batt grip? extra batts?). Thanks! :lovegrin:

You will need cleaning accessories like a blower, brush and lens cloth.

You will need cleaning accessories like a blower, brush and lens cloth.

Totally agree. For DSLR, its much needed. I remb my first trip, one dust was on the sensor (and i didnt even switch lens before). Needless to say, the dust was there throughout the entire trip.

I wont say u need the tripod. If evening, set it on the floor. If you want portraits with yr loved one, just pick a passer by.

I think you need more storage and battery. Best to buy more storage and bring yr charger (unless you are heading to Nepal or Mongolia, that would be difficult). If you are staying in some hostel, they have CD-RW/ DVD-RW to allow you to burn yr pictures for safe keeping.

Have fun!

1) battery charger, extra batteries - make sure that you also have an adaptor if the country you're going to is not singapore plug friendly/voltage friendly

2) a decent bag is most important - something that you're comfortable with carrying for long periods of time

3) the correct focal lengths. for example, if you're going to see a lot of mountains.. the last thing you want to do is be stuck with only a 400mm prime

4) less is sometimes, more. when i went to italy i only had one lens. i think it resolved a lot of problems, and got me a lot of shots that i would ahve missed because of changing lenses. if you MUST have it all, then i would suggest compromising quality sometimes and getting a superzoom. not a must though.

5) a good, light tripod, if and only if you're going to want to do long exposures. what i noticed in the end is when i travel, i do not like to walk around alone at night, particularly when it is not touted to be safe for tourists to do so. so in the end, rather bump up iso than bring tripod along. and the noise isn't that bad for modern dslrs.

6) cleaning tools. sensor cleaning probably not so, lens cleaning yes.

7) portable hard drive with memory reading capacity or extra memory cards. prefer the former. your choice.

8) any relevant filters that you think you will be needing.

if you are going near the beach and will be spending prolonged periods near there or any area with a lot of saltwater, bring a simple cloth in your packed luggage, and give your camera a wiping down at the end of each day.

don't worry too much about getting good photos. you are after there to travel, and not to you know, start a professional travel photography career. you might also wnat to refer to zooshh's backpacking thread for some tips - it's backpacking, and you might not be doing so, but i think some of his stuff on how to carry out photography in a manner that is conducive for travel are useful.

good luck, and cheers!

Very good points from night86mare.

Memory/storage : It really depends on your shooting style & place you'd be going. For me, I bring along a couple of regular 2GB cards (cos they are really cheap & one usually don't need the super fast write speeds during travels). A portable HDD is good to have.

Tripod : The SLIK Sprint Pro EZ tripod would be very appropriate since its light & comes with a quick release plate. Specs look good.

Other things to consider : IR remote trigger for night shots (to be sure that your camera does not shake when you press the trigger) or perhaps for self portraits or shots

Not forgetting electrical socket adaptor as the country that you are visiting, may have a different electrical socket outlet configuration from the plug used in the electrical cord for your charger.

think what to require will depend on where would you be going and how much stuff you want to carry.

These days memory card quite cheap and your friends likely to have as well.....buy more or borrow. A harddisk storage may be just extra weight and CF cards much lighter. From my understanding, hd storage may be prone to error in high attitude (do correct me if i am wrong). Most places these days also offer DVD burning service.

For batteries wise, this will depend on whether you have access to electricity as well as the weather condition. Even for ulu countries like Nepal, you can still find electricity at certain parts for most of the time. Just take note when would the electricity be scheduled to be cut off.

Tripod wise....i find it quite useless in travel. Unless you got some specific things to shoot in mind. By the time you deploy your tripod, ready to shoot....the subject may be gone for good. Most importantly, it adds weight.

What to bring to carry your equipment would a consideration also. Depending on your accommodation and activities. I mostly solo backpack and stay in dorm to cut cost. The only equipment obvious to my fellow roomies is my DSLR only. The rest of the lenses in a bag which looks like any other backpacker bag. I don't really take special notice or attention on the other lenses in the bag.

The thing about bringing tripod or not overseas has been discussed extensively. No right or wrong answer.

For me carrying a tripod is a necessary evil. Get a light but sturdy setup so it does not wear u down. The shots i take with the tripod are non action paced. All them are either for making pans / architectures or shooting in dimmer lights of static scenes / landscape, and more importantly i know i am most probably not revisiting the country for a long time to come if ever.

Ryan

The thing about bringing tripod or not overseas has been discussed extensively. No right or wrong answer.

For me carrying a tripod is a necessary evil. Get a light but sturdy setup so it does not wear u down. The shots i take with the tripod are non action paced. All them are either for making pans / architectures or shooting in dimmer lights of static scenes / landscape, and more importantly i know i am most probably not revisiting the country for a long time to come if ever.

Ryan

well-explained. For the TS best is to carry it abroad maybe for at least that one time and see whether you would need it a not. In future trips then can easily decide base on previous experience.

Hi guys,

Really appreciate all the responses to my earlier post.

By the way, I be going to Aussie in winter..!

There will be lots of travelling (incl self-drive) to suburbs, wildlife, mountains, beaches....

That's the reason why I wanted to get a light weight & handy (& not too pricey) tripod. I would think that there are places where there are not many people around.. And if I want to take a nice portrait, then there might be a problem.

I have the necessary cleaning instruments, adaptors (since Aussie is using a different electrical plugs)..

The thing abt bringing a HDD is that it might be troublesome to find a PC terminal to upload the pics & even if there are, I'm not sure if they will allow me to freely transfer stuff to a HDD. I've decided to bring CF cards of a total of 7GB storage there. I guess should be sufficient..? :sweat:

Actually there are HDD casing that has interface that allows you to upload your data without the PC most of them using battery too so you don't even need a plug. :)

Maybe you would like to have some ND filters to take nice landscape photo.

HDD ? imho, bringing a HDD overseas would mean you have one more equipment to protect!

CF cards won't lose it's information so easily unless you are really a careless person.

Get a good photo backpack? With all the weather protection and stuff?

HDD ? imho, bringing a HDD overseas would mean you have one more equipment to protect!

CF cards won't lose it's information so easily unless you are really a careless person.

HDD provides you with an quick alternative to back up memory card data as memory cards are known to have unexplained data corruption with renders all your information unrecoverable.

HDD provides you with an quick alternative to back up memory card data as memory cards are known to have unexplained data corruption with renders all your information unrecoverable.

And it is cheaper compared to buying CF cards, especially if you shoot RAW.

i just bought a Velbon Ultra Maxi L from a friendly uncle @ K13
although extented height is slightly short, retracted length will allow me to keep in my crumpler

if u are bringing HDD, i think better dun check u... u dunno how the airport crew handle ur luggage...

Status
Not open for further replies.