Studio shots of watches....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sonus

Oct 10, 2003
HDBHUB
www.pbase.com
Hi, does anyone here had shoot watches before? What are best way to prevent the shiny surface from reflecting your cam image? Thanks.

Hi, does anyone here had shoot watches before? What are best way to prevent the shiny surface from reflecting your cam image? Thanks.

Shoot at an angle and use a CPL to cut down the reflections. ;)

position you light right, don't need to use CPL or shift lens.

use a micro lens with long lens hood, I wrap a board with black velvet, cut a hole for the lens and shield everything being reflected on the glass.

I used a carton box , glue white paper inside the box, cut a hole for your lens to go inside, use two SB800 put inside the box facing upward, set your camera to commman mode, use build-in flash to trigger the two SB800, use 60mm macro lens. It work.

Thank you very much for all who had replied. Btw i'm just using S6500fd for the shots.

Using a S2IS macro mode, diffuse light and mini tripod shot with timer as usually the exposure time is long, some paper as base. See samples below, novice standard

20060503.jpg

CF04.jpg

CF02.jpg

SCVS00302.jpg

It's about lighting (direction of) and positioning, a tilt-shift lense will not help much if u hit the light directly on the glass surface.

Using a S2IS macro mode, diffuse light and mini tripod shot with timer as usually the exposure time is long, some paper as base. See samples below, novice standard

Nice try. :)

But for such shots, it's best not to show the motion of the "second-hand".

Nice try. :)

But for such shots, it's best not to show the motion of the "second-hand".

No choice limitation of lights and prosumer slow lens.:)

No choice limitation of lights and prosumer slow lens.:)

Try bumping up the ISO to get faster shutter speeds or get more lights? :think:

the face of the watches are not lit well.

theres over exposed areas, and the reflections are not done very nicely thou.

usually if you were to see those watches advertisements, these hands are tuned to 10:15 or +- 5 minutes.

there maybe other configurations. but well.... thats my observations.

You'll find that in 90% of watch ads the time is on the watch is set to 10:10.....one theory for this is that when the watch is set to this time the hands will frame the logo which usually sits under the number 12.

You'll find that in 90% of watch ads the time is on the watch is set to 10:10.....one theory for this is that when the watch is set to this time the hands will frame the logo which usually sits under the number 12.

To be exact, I think it's 10:08:35 or thereabouts.. though in some pictures they don't care about the second hand.
http://eazyvg.wordpress.com/2006/12/14/time-8-minutes-past-10/

Someone told me that, the hands set 10:10 resembles a smiling face. I may be wrong or heard it wrongly though.

Sharing only.

heard it too. logical too.

Someone told me that, the hands set 10:10 resembles a smiling face. I may be wrong or heard it wrongly though.

Sharing only.

get a light tent =) strobist have some really cool suggestions about how you can make one.. DIY and low cost!! I'm making one today =)

That 1008 position is adopted because other positions would block either the date (if there is one) or the model description (at the lower half of the face and usually occupies more space than the logo on top).
Other positions such as 0942 etc. is not as aesthetically pleasing as the 1008 position.
it's plain logic.

CF02.jpg

btw, you have an interesting collection of seikos. especially the alphinist. damn nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.