Studio shot - Cheongsam

Status
Not open for further replies.

kssim

Another recent studio portraiture session that I have recently... :)

pssStudioApr02-Cheongsam01.jpg

for this studio shot, I like the angle of the second photo. The rest I think needs to touch up to downplay the puffy cheeks.

Just my amateur point of view.........

Originally posted by kaipium
for this studio shot, I like the angle of the second photo. The rest I think needs to touch up to downplay the puffy cheeks.

Just my amateur point of view.........

Hi,

Thanks for the comments. I personally likes the second and third photo above. And now that you've mentioned it, I realised that the lighting for the first shot was a little harsh, causing the cheeks to look 'puffy'. How would you suggest to touch up to reduce the 'puffy cheeks'? Lightened up the shadows around the cheeks?

On second thoughts, the third and fourth photo looks quite okay to me. Any more lightening up on the shadows might make the lighting look flat and uninteresting. This is especially more so on the fourth photo where the shadow areas are relatively light.

Well, thanks again for the comments. :)

Rgds,
KS

err....i not qualified to comment somemore and have no idea how to touch up the photo......am really a newbie but that was just my observations......perhaps some others can comment on how to touch up......:embrass:

Originally posted by kaipium
err....i not qualified to comment somemore and have no idea how to touch up the photo......am really a newbie but that was just my observations......perhaps some others can comment on how to touch up......:embrass:

Hi,

No worries! Don't feel bad about that... Everyone got to get started somewhere and we can all learn something new from each other. :light: Everyone does offer a different perspective and viewpoint that the original photographer might not have noticed before. Without your comment, I would really have missed the harsh shadow in the first photo. Thanks again! :)

Rgds,
KS

Is it expensive to rent a studio and all?

kssim, i sent u a PM.

Originally posted by eadwine
Is it expensive to rent a studio and all?

kssim, i sent u a PM.

It shouldn't really be too expensive to rent a studio. It'll probably will cost you more to hire a professional model and also getting the make-up done.

I'll get to that PM after this post...

Rgds,
KS

Originally posted by kssim

It shouldn't really be too expensive to rent a studio. It'll probably will cost you more to hire a professional model and also getting the make-up done.

I'll get to that PM after this post...

Rgds,
KS

So that is ur friend or someone u hired?

Hi,

First of all, thanks for sharing your work.

Here are my comments and suggestions:

1. First picture:

- The side light is too harsh. If you want to just highligh the hair, try positioning the hair light from a higher angle. You might also want to add a cone to the hair light to concentrait the illumination on the hair only. In this case, it has made the right eye appear injured.
- Regading the puffy cheek comments, my suggestion is to use a different hair style to help to de-emphasize the cheeks. If she has long hair, try letting the hair down.
- The pose and expression looks rather tensed, especailly when compared to the rest of the photos. Maybe that's one of the first shots when the model hasn't relaxed.

2. Second picture:

- I liked this a lot. Nice angle, relaxed expression, and good lighting.
- You could have tried this shot without the hair light. The somewhat messy hair is quite distracting especially when highlighted by the hair light.
- A little more DOF would be great.

3. Third picture

- Is the eye makeup intentional to be so white/silvery? Personally I do not find the make up suitable for her. Some makeup contains ingredients that are florescent under UV, which gives a whitening effect under sunlight. However, the UV content of flash lights are so high that they normally make the person wearing the makeup look ghostly (not refering to your model here!). I have experienced this many times for wedding shots. In this case I would prefer a lighter shade for the eye.
- The multiple light sources has created various patches of different lighting on her face. You might want to experiment with a single light large source with maybe a reflector to fill in slightly on the shadows. I also prefer single catchlight in the eyes.
- Her dress need some ironing.
- Also, try another hair-style or face angle to de-emphasize the cheeks.

4. Forth picture

- I like this picture also, though I like the second one better.
- Again, a little more DOF would be great.

Nice job! I wished I could have the opportunity to do studio shots nowadays. Please keep sharing your work here.

Thanks!

Roy

Hi,

Thanks for all the wonderful comments. It's great to learn from each other... :)

Agreed about the harsh side lighting on the first picture. Both the first and second shot was taken using the same lighting set-up. So I suppose the position and angle that I position the model also helps a lot since the lighting on the second photo looks much more even.

As for the tense look, this model was just starting out in modeling and wasn't quite confident yet. To make matter worse, there's quite a number of photographers for this studio sessions. Throughout the sessions, she was looking rather tense and nervous. I was rather surprised that I managed to get a few of her more relaxed shot. :)

Thanks for the tips on the makeup. I never quite notice the area around the eyes. As for the lighting source, unfortunately, this is a group studio sessions and I do not have the liberty to do my own setup (neither do I really know much about studio lighting setups).

Lastly, there are numerous photography clubs around and most of which does held regular studio sessions for it's members. The downside however, is that these sessions are often too packed with photographer and that makes it hard and time-consuming to shoot (for studio sessions). In my case, I would very much prefer outdoor portraits than studio shots. Reason is the much more varied and interesting background.

Thanks again for all the great comments... :)

Rgds,
KS

Originally posted by roygoh
Hi,

1. First picture:

- The side light is too harsh. If you want to just highligh the hair, try positioning the hair light from a higher angle.........

- The pose and expression looks rather tensed, especailly when compared to the rest of the photos. Maybe that's one of the first shots when the model hasn't relaxed.
...<Snip>
3. Third picture

- Is the eye makeup intentional to be so white/silvery? Personally I do not find the make up suitable for her. Some makeup contains ingredients that are florescent under UV, which gives a whitening

- The multiple light sources has created various patches of different lighting on her face. You might want to experiment with a single light large source with maybe a reflector to fill ........
...<Snip>

Nice job! I wished I could have the opportunity to do studio shots nowadays. Please keep sharing your work here.

Roy

Another thing is the background... completely dark background is not attractive for portraitures as the subject's hairs will blend into the dark blackground and become indistinguishable. A piece of cloth (can even be black one) with some texture that is lit by a seperate light source would normally do the trick... :)

Hi,

Thanks for all the wonderful comments. It's great to learn from each other... :)

You're welcomed!

....there's quite a number of photographers for this studio sessions........ this is a group studio sessions and I do not have the liberty to do my own setup.......these sessions are often too packed with photographer.....

That sums up more or less the shooting experience you went through. I can understand fully the limitations you are faced with. I have never been to a group session, and definitely prefer a 1 to 1 session, as I normally put some effort in interacting with the model. Try shooting for friends. You can talk a lot to them during the session and get feedback on whether they are relaxed and comfortable. You can talk about topics of common interest and get them really interested and that gives you more opportunities to capture great expressions.

In group sessions like what the ones you went to, the models are paid to do their job. They will not complain, but will do their best to accomodate to all the different requests from so many photographers at the same time. I imagine I would feel more like a press photographer in such a situation.

Hi

I would definitely love to have 1 to 1 photo sessions. Unfortunately, I'm unable to get my own models. Nor neither do I have friends who are keen to be photographed. So until anyone is going to model for me, I can only compromise with such group shooting and make the best of the opportunities presented. While it's not much fun, it's quite challenging though. Who knows, that 'experience' might come in handy should I decide to quit my job and go shoot for the press.. <G> :)

Rgds,
KS

Originally posted by roygoh

You're welcomed!

That sums up more or less the shooting experience you went through. I can understand fully the limitations you are faced with. I have never been to a group session, and definitely prefer a 1 to 1 session, as I normally put some effort in interacting with the model. Try shooting for friends. You can talk a lot to them during the session and get feedback on whether they are relaxed and comfortable. You can talk about topics of common interest and get them really interested and that gives you more opportunities to capture great expressions.

In group sessions like what the ones you went to, the models are paid to do their job. They will not complain, but will do their best to accomodate to all the different requests from so many photographers at the same time. I imagine I would feel more like a press photographer in such a situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.