Studio shoot - what lens to use and what settings?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dominant

Dec 13, 2006
Choa Chu Kang
Hi guys, going to do a studio portrait shoot later, any recommendations on what lens you guys normally use? and what aperture, ISO, shutter speed to use?

any comments? :)

depends what and where u shoot...

what = full body, 1/2 body or face only
where = studio size, aka distance to play.

for eg... if a studio is rather spacious, wanna try full body, can use a 85mm or 135mm even, doesn't have the distortion.

if studio is small, try full body with wide angle only.

settings wise, ask the light meter... adjust accordingly... else u should ask the owner there, he/she would be able to help you. Cos with variety of strobes, there is different settings to use, and also adjust the power accordingly.

There is no 1 best setting... since there is different effects with each settings.

hi, thanks for the feedback. actually I got a 90mm and a 300mm telezoom lens. I supposed the 90mm is more suitable for studio shoot? I am probably taking a mixture of both close ups and full body.. half body as well.

the 300mm will be useless in this place due to the minimum focusing distance as well as the composition usage.

90mm will be about 135mm range if on a 1.5crop, so depends on the studio environment, sometimes only able to take 1/2 body or face shot.

normally use a 50mm or a 35mm on digital 1.5crop.

hi, thanks for the feedback. actually I got a 90mm and a 300mm telezoom lens. I supposed the 90mm is more suitable for studio shoot? I am probably taking a mixture of both close ups and full body.. half body as well.
unless the studio is big enough, your 90mm only can take half body shots, try bring a 50mm lens, keep 300mm at home, unless you want to do a tight head shot.

ISO, use the lowest, when possible.
aperture, if using studio flash, normally shoot with f11, use a flash meter to check as final reading.
speed, use the highest sync speed, unless you want mix with ambient for some creative shots.

usually i use a standard lens thats 50mm on the slrs and 80mm on a hassey

if u shooting people or fashion no need to change lens if from full to half body
that one only takes more time and your model will be bored, move around and engage the model..
only go to a longer lens if u want to do a tighter shot or something

standard setting should always be 1/125 f16 at iso 100
some photogrpaher said for digital its best to shoot at f16 for max sharpness on the hassey because i think the digital back cannot handle the sharpness for smaller than f16.

but anyways yeah thats all

Status
Not open for further replies.