Studio Rental - The Illegal Part

Volks

May 17, 2006
I've noticed a number of studios were renting their spaces for short sessions, be it hourly or daily , leisure or commercial.

Just want to cautious those in this practices that:-

1) If you are the legal occupant, renting from HDB or JTC or Maple Tree please note that you are committing an illegal activity / breach of contract by sub-renting . I do not want to touch on the consequences but you should be aware of the severity.

2) If you rent your space from private entity, it is 90% likely that they practice the same rule & has this line in the contract that you are subjected to answer.

3) There are some commercial properties that disallow retail ( Wedding is classified as Retail) / leisure activities so even if you do not read this line in contract, the property owner will refrain you from any of the above.

4) You are quite safe if you are the OWNER of the property.

But wait... Someone I knew was fined by URA in His Private Property for carrying out studio activities ... according to him it was because Aunties downstair couldn't tolerate the sights of sexy models walking up his apartment while their husbands , you know :bigeyes:

Watch out.

I've noticed a number of studios were renting their spaces for short sessions, be it hourly or daily , leisure or commercial.

Just want to cautious those in this practices that:-

1) If you are the legal occupant, renting from HDB or JTC or Maple Tree please note that you are committing an illegal activity / breach of contract by sub-renting . I do not want to touch on the consequences but you should be aware of the severity.

2) If you rent your space from private entity, it is 90% likely that they practice the same rule & has this line in the contract that you are subjected to answer.

3) There are some commercial properties that disallow retail ( Wedding is classified as Retail) / leisure activities so even if you do not read this line in contract, the property owner will refrain you from any of the above.

4) You are quite safe if you are the OWNER of the property.

But wait... Someone I knew was fined by URA in His Private Property for carrying out studio activities ... according to him it was because Aunties downstair couldn't tolerate the sights of sexy models walking up his apartment while their husbands , you know :bigeyes:

Watch out.

The clause in most rental agreement is refering to sub-letting on a perm. basis, ie: collecting monthly rental. Renting out on an ah-hoc basis is not considered sub-leting and to the best of my knowladge is OK with HDB, JTC and Mapeltree.

Being fine by URA in a private property is because it is suppose to be a residental property and not to be used for commericial purpose unless you have approval from them to ran a SOHO in the said property.

OT abit. This thread remind me of those models from foreign countries. I am sure they/or those that bring them in will need to pay tax to the authority or organiser will need to pay witholding tax on their behalf too for their brief modeling session in Singapore. correct me if i am wrong.

Being fine by URA in a private property is because it is suppose to be a residental property and not to be used for commericial purpose unless you have approval from them to ran a SOHO in the said property.

hmm, I suppose this does not apply to private shoot done for non-commercial purposes? but is shooting for portfolio considered commercial purpose?:think:

hmm, I suppose this does not apply to private shoot done for non-commercial purposes? but is shooting for portfolio considered commercial purpose?:think:

:bsmilie: It's a very very thin line :bsmilie:

URA will come and inspect the home and ask questions and it is up to the owner how they reply, nothing wrong with having a room set up as a studio for a hobby ;).

But if you have a web site with your home as a studio and you are doing freelance work than it is consider commicial liow, remember, so long as money is collect or seem to be collected, they will consider it as commericial.

Let's put it this was, shooting of family photo is not commicial for the family but for the photographer, so long as he collects money for it, it is consider as commicial liow. IRAS can come after you as well.

:bsmilie: It's a very very thin line :bsmilie:

URA will come and inspect the home and ask questions and it is up to the owner how they reply, nothing wrong with having a room set up as a studio for a hobby ;).

But if you have a web site with your home as a studio and you are doing freelance work than it is consider commicial liow, remember, so long as money is collect or seem to be collected, they will consider it as commericial.

Let's put it this was, shooting of family photo is not commicial for the family but for the photographer, so long as he collects money for it, it is consider as commicial liow. IRAS can come after you as well.