Studio Portraiture

Brian Ong

Feb 2, 2014
Singapore
Hi there,

I have been doing photography for a few years now but have never done a studio shoot before.
I am intrested but many complications get in the way ; models needed to be paid etc.
I was just wondering :

1) What type of lens should I use , the 70-200mm F4 IS USM , 85mm F1.2, 50mm F1.4 or any other lens?
2) What type of lighting should I use? Strobes etc.
3) Where are some of the best studios in Singapore in terms of price and service?
4) How do you convince models to join you on a shoot.

Im a total newbie to this area of photography so yeah, thats why!!
Thanks guys!
Please PM me if you all can advice me on anything !

Hi there,

I have been doing photography for a few years now but have never done a studio shoot before.
I am intrested but many complications get in the way ; models needed to be paid etc.
I was just wondering :

1) What type of lens should I use , the 70-200mm F4 IS USM , 85mm F1.2, 50mm F1.4 or any other lens?
3) Where are some of the best studios in Singapore in terms of price and service?

Im a total newbie to this area of photography so yeah, thats why!!
Thanks guys!

1) almost any lens will do fine, even a kit zoom. U will be shooting at f8 or f11 most of the time.
2) most studios comes with a decent strobe setup for u to get started.
3) not hard to find if u search around this forum.
4) when you are willing to pay for them, or if you have friends who are willing to do u the favour (and if u think they look good enough to be in front of your lens)

This is a forum to share information. Wouldn't it look odd if all threads only had 1..3 postings with questions and everything were hidden in PM?
Since we prefer to share you have the chance to search for existing threads where your question has been asked and answered before ;) - upper right hand: Search

if your age is truth, your best shot is ask your friends to pose for you for some free photos and some sundae,
cos I doubt a model will want to pose for you unless you have exceptional works to show or pay some handsome money for their time.

wow Brian you're young.

borrow a few cousins or siblings.

you may wish to do the following

1. Enquire about facilities available at various studios. the advertisers here in Commercial section have pretty reasonable rates.

2. find out what light modifiers are available in the studio you intend to use.

3. before going to shoot, plan several lighting diagrams for use, including relative powers of the lights in terms of fstop, the positioning of the lights and modifiers used. in fact you can copy the classic ones after googling for them.

4. at the studio you can inquire of the staff how to adjust the lights, modifiers, power setting, and also useful is ask the staff teach you how to use the light meter if you don't know how already
(I got a free lesson in that) :bsmilie:

5. lastly have fun. you can shoot with any lens even kit lens, shooting at f8 upwards the difference in image quality is negligible

Any lens can be used. Depends on what effect you want and the size of the studio.

Any type of lighting can be used from strobes to speedlights to continuous hot lights, or cold lights or even window light. It depends on what you want to achieve.

There are many studios in Singapore and they are good for different things. Some good in price, some good in equipment, some good in size. There is no much service per say, because you have to set up everything on your own, including the lighting setups. People just rent you the studio.

Pay them their asking rate.

additionally if you can persuade an influential photographer to come along she or he may have contacts for tfcd

I'm just a cat

depends on the kind of shots you might want to achieve, how big the is the studio (or rather how long).

technically, most studios should be equipped with Studio Strobes that is powered through wall plugs.

friends are you best bet at this moment

Hi guys , thanks for all your tips. It really relieves me of certain worries I do have.