Studio photoshoot

basherbomb

Mar 4, 2008
Hi. I was wondering.
In a studio, what mode of shooting is used? Manual? Av? Tv? Or P?
Why that mode? What's the best?

Usually M mode for me, be it outdoor or studio shoot. Coz I trust my judgement more than the camera's metering.

duh, in a studio you use M as

1. the shutter speed does not really matter (read your manual for your camera's max flash sync speed and use anything below that)
2. you need to take a reading of the studio flash and not the ambient light

Thanks all for your input. However in manual mode, won't it be hard to control the exposure?to get the right exposure, not too over or under?

Thanks all for your input. However in manual mode, won't it be hard to control the exposure?to get the right exposure, not too over or under?

I think you need to understand the basics of a studio setup first. If you control all the lighting, how can you get your exposure wrong?

Oh okay. Could someone pls explain to me the basic studio setup? LOL

so long the power setting of each flash and the distance between the flash/s and subject are not changed, the orginal reading of the light by a hand held meter will stand.

manual setting and manual wb is the way to go.

if not, what's the point of having full control over lighting to begin with?

i always used M mode
but so far haven got a shot in a studio before :x ~

I use M mode because all other modes rely on your in-camera metering, which is meaningless if you are using studio strobes, unless it's continuous light.

The whole idea is to set up the desired lighting conditions and to just shoot.

i always used M mode
but so far haven got a shot in a studio before :x ~

Ah that's easy just join the organised studio photoshoots available in Cs.There're
so many and have a feel of them.You'll love it :)

if you are referring to a studio with studio strobe set up
M Mode, custom WB is the way to go.

Recently i've also been doing some studio work. Is custom wb really nessary? i usually just set to daylight and shoot. I havent done any comparison how often do you do the custom wb?

why set to daylight when you are shooting 'studio work'? would flashlight be more appropriate?

Recently i've also been doing some studio work. Is custom wb really nessary? i usually just set to daylight and shoot. I havent done any comparison how often do you do the custom wb?

it really depends on the colour temperature of the strobes

like ortega said, factor in the temp of your lights.

more importantly is what the end result you want to achieve and set your wb accordingly. there is no hard and fast rule.

i think the next kopitiam topic should be "are our CSers relying too much on spoon feed?".

I'm using custom balance all along.

yes, as Judge Ortega said, depends on the colour temperature of the strobes

anyway, the flash tube aging will also affect the color temp, using softbox or umbrella will also alter the color temp, old softbox will also have different color temp, different type or materials of the softbox will also affect the color temp. so custom balance is the way to go.