Studio Photography

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolfgang

Apr 29, 2002
Riddle Realms
wolfgang.clubsnap.org
Hi all,

i will be doing a studio shoot one of these days soon and i was wondering if anyone could provide any advise in regards to doing so?

I will be using my Fuji S602 coupled with a Syn hotshoe so i was wondering what kind of lighting is needed and what would be appropriate?

Kindly advise.

Go and do a proper white balance. As to how u have to ask chenwei and malkw. Malkw got quite good color during our shoot.

Originally posted by Wolfgang
Hi all,

i will be doing a studio shoot one of these days soon and i was wondering if anyone could provide any advise in regards to doing so?

I will be using my Fuji S602 coupled with a Syn hotshoe so i was wondering what kind of lighting is needed and what would be appropriate?

Kindly advise.

In the studio, you probably will be using those studio strobes with softboxes or umbrellas. Typically uses anything from 1 to 4 or more lights depending on the kind of effect you want. Most studio strobes have built-in slaves, so if your camera doesn't preflash, you can probably use your popup flash with an IR filter to trigger them. Alternatively, just connect the sync to one of the strobes.

Regards
CK

Originally posted by ckiang

In the studio, you probably will be using those studio strobes with softboxes or umbrellas. Typically uses anything from 1 to 4 or more lights depending on the kind of effect you want. Most studio strobes have built-in slaves, so if your camera doesn't preflash, you can probably use your popup flash with an IR filter to trigger them. Alternatively, just connect the sync to one of the strobes.

Regards
CK

Hmm ok. Using a syn hotshoe, i should be able to connect to one of the strobes. Would 2 lights be sufficient?

Originally posted by xfathom69
Go and do a proper white balance. As to how u have to ask chenwei and malkw. Malkw got quite good color during our shoot.

Hmm ok. Thanks. :)

How many lights were used in that shoot itself?

one light was used. there are two setup, one for sitting and one for standing. Make sure u check yr light setting every time the model move.

Hmm ok. Using a syn hotshoe, i should be able to connect to one of the strobes. Would 2 lights be sufficient?

Again, depends on what you're trying to achieve. I've seen people do with 1 light + reflector(s), or the more typical 4-light setup (Main/Key, Fill, Back and Hair) or other variations.

A handheld flash meter to measure the exposure would come in VERY handy.

Regards
CK

Again, depends on what you're trying to achieve. I've seen people do with 1 light + reflector(s), or the more typical 4-light setup (Main/Key, Fill, Back and Hair) or other variations.

Regards
CK

Hmm.. shooting digital in this case is oso handy.....
:p

Anyway, Wolf, shoot shoot shoot

Regards
CK

Then i guess it's a whole new learning experience for me. :)

I'll be probably using 1 main light, 1 back light and one fill...
Hmm...

Thanks again Ckiang.

Any other tips you have in mind or that would come handy would be very much appreciated. :)

Originally posted by Bluestrike

Hmm.. shooting digital in this case is oso handy.....

Anyway, Wolf, shoot shoot shoot

Even more handy if you have a laptop on the spot. That small LCD on the camera isn't very good for critical analysis. ;p

Regards
CK

Even more handy if you have a laptop on the spot. That small LCD on the camera isn't very good for critical analysis. ;p

Regards
CK
Yeah lor...
but I think a PC is better..

Then must calibrate one ok!

Regards
CK

Laptop? Hmmm... ok... Maybe i should ask for a Digital Imaging workstation to be set up at the studio....

Ok. Thanks. :)

Yeah lor...
but I think a PC is better..

Then must calibrate one ok!

Wah.. stressed... :cry:

My home one is calibrated... not sure abt the one they might provide... :dunno:

Wah.. stressed... :cry:

My home one is calibrated... not sure abt the one they might provide... :dunno:
Aiyo.. just joking lah,,,..
anyway, just make sure you ask your model to take the undergarments off 1-2hr b4 the shoot then no visiable...
Oops...

I let the cat out of the bag liao

Aiyo.. just joking lah,,,..
anyway, just make sure you ask your model to take the undergarments off 1-2hr b4 the shoot then no visiable...
Oops...

I let the cat out of the bag liao

Mai lah... siao... :embrass:

bear in mind that using more lights are more creative but it also limit the movement of the model . For hair light is nice . It can be from behind, on top or at an angle to the model.

But remember if yr model is not place properly, u get get lens flare from the stray hair light.

Is time an issue here? it is good for u to start simple with one light. Once u master using one light , using more lights will be easier. The lesser the lights , the lesser the mistakes. If u are doing for learning ,it is fine , but if u are doing for a client think twice.

Originally posted by xfathom69
bear in mind that using more lights are more creative but it also limit the movement of the model . For hair light is nice . It can be from behind, on top or at an angle to the model.

But remember if yr model is not place properly, u get get lens flare from the stray hair light.

Is time an issue here? it is good for u to start simple with one light. Once u master using one light , using more lights will be easier. The lesser the lights , the lesser the mistakes. If u are doing for learning ,it is fine , but if u are doing for a client think twice.

Hmmm... thanks for the advise. :)

for hair light ,

from behind or at an angle behind u will show a rim, a glowing edge at the hair, sometime u may get a wrapround effect. The edges of yr neck and shoudler are glowing. some think of it as creative, while others think of it as lightn mistakes.

If u have a boom, u can do top lightn to the head. Can be a light or a reflector. See webphoto school (photoflex) on how to light the hair with a reflector

Status
Not open for further replies.