Studio Photography

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by Bluestrike

Aiyo.. just joking lah,,,..
anyway, just make sure you ask your model to take the undergarments off 1-2hr b4 the shoot then no visiable...
Oops...

I let the cat out of the bag liao

listen to the pro. :thumbsup:
(one of those critical tips for model with body-hugging outfit)

Just get her to wear the kind of underwear that's specifically designed not to show under clothes lah! There's lots of that around.

General advice a the end, or just speak to me when we next see each other. Specific points in response to what's already been said, follows:

Agree that the best way to trip the lights is wirelessly with their built in slave units if that is feasible. Works best if you have a separate flash unit that you can first away from the subject (just point it straight up) and fire it at its weakest setting. Not having to use a sync cable means more flexibility in movement, no worries about tripping and sending equipment crashing, and if you're sharing, no one person at a time with a hassle to go from camera to camera.

Number of lights completely depends on the lighting you are trying to recreate. Lighting setups can vary from no monoblocs to 18 or more units to achieve different things. Two lights on the model are enough for 90% of the effects around, and then it depends on whether you need to light the background as well. I personally have three units at my disposal, and while it is sometimes slightly lacking (usually when I want to mess with the background as well as the subject), I get by perfectly fine. In fact one of my units has been down and I just did a shoot the other day with just the two, and it didn't stop me from getting stuff I am happy with. And many of the shots that day were shot with just the single 'bloc.

I wouldn't exactly say four is a typical number.

Evaluating exposure on small LCD is poor, but the histogram is usually accurate although they do have their various indiosyncracies as well.

IMO more lights is nice, but doesn't just limit the movement of the model. To be honest I think the bigger problem is limiting the photographer in terms of distracting his/her attention; particularly when you're new to all this, you should be concentrating on the sitter and not on your lights.

Rumraisin, the reason to remove underwear is not that it won't show in the cloths. It's if you're doing nude work, underwear has a tendancy to leave markings on the skin that will ruin the shot. Nothing to do with them showing under the clothes!

Well, it doesn't necessary mean that more light is good. Light should be use creatively dependable on the photographer's intention. There no standard of how many lights to actually use. However rather what kind of mood or effect the photographer wants to capture, and then from there decide which and how many lights to use. Generally, softboxes and umbrella creates diffuse light which can be more flattering to skin tone. Whereas dishes create more specular and harsh lighting. Each has it's own characteristic. So there is no standard way of lighting your model.

It really have to depend on your subject and your taste. There are many kind of classic lightings which you may want to use as a guideline for the start. some of which are; split, paramount, rembrant, flat, silhouette. Apart from there you may need fill in by using a reflector. It's not easy to easy to explain what all these terms mean. Go and get yourself some book reference from kinokuniya, or borders. The guide book gives very good examples of how to use studio lighting.

Oh yes, if you are doing nude shot, underwear leaves marking on the skin. If your place is aircondition, please provide the model with a blacket or jacket, and hot drinks to keep him/her warm. Beware of goosebump which does not flatter your picture.

It would also be advisable to have a corner for them to change. Though the model will be nude, it's good to be sensitive regarding personal privacy.

oh....yes prepare a a compact little box of skin tone powder....the face or the body may get a bit oily.....exp. the nose or T-zone......:D

for nude shooting .....get the liquid base powder.......for the body ....or let ur make-up artist do it......;)

Status
Not open for further replies.