Studio model shoot for free!

Status
Not open for further replies.

icer

Mar 15, 2004
West
www.icezworld.com
Hi all,

Please note that this photo shoot is over already. Those who PM me I will inform you all if there are more shots in future. Thanks. :thumbsup:

Got a friend who is working in a new magazine company and they are looking for photographers to do shots on babies and mothers for their magazines.

1) This is a good chance for those newbies who want to try doing some shots on models without having to pay for the model and the studio.

2) The magazine only wants digital photos.

3) You will need to give a copy of the photos taken for the magazine to choose the best to use.

4) You will not be paid too.

5) You can keep the photos.

6) It should be 2 weeks from now, most likely on a saturday.

Anyone interested, please PM me with your real nice and contact and preferably some online album link just to let the magazine choose which photographers in case response is too good.

Thanks. :cool:

As far as I know of, magazine pays editorial rates, which is already dirt cheap... Dun really think it's worth shooting them a free job guys. A proper magazine needs art direction, therefore the photographer doesn't really shoot what he wants, rather what the magazine needs...

Now, where's the win win situation anyway? No offense, just a serious thought...

mummies i dun know...but babies i definately got exp ahah...and children..... but the prob is ...

I DUN SHOOT DIGITAL....HAHA...

i dont mind leh :think: ..keep us posted

clive said:
i dont mind leh :think: ..keep us posted

It is because they are ppl willing to do things for free while others make money from it, professionals here have a hard time in gettting decent jobs.

pointblankshots said:
As far as I know of, magazine pays editorial rates, which is already dirt cheap... Dun really think it's worth shooting them a free job guys. A proper magazine needs art direction, therefore the photographer doesn't really shoot what he wants, rather what the magazine needs...

Now, where's the win win situation anyway? No offense, just a serious thought...

I understand what you mean too. But this is a really new publishing house that just started so might needs to cut costs lor. Anyway just seeing how's the response, coz I know members here pay to get models for shooting practices..... so why do u need to pay when now u can get to shoot for free and yet helping a new magazine get started?

Then some might ask why let the models earn our money also? So those who dun feel like paying for models can come for this lor, if they dun mind babies and mothers. :)

Hi,

Can use auto SLR to capture and convert the negative to CD-Rom (Digital)? Is it worth to do it for free... I wonder.

haha... i am interested, super new, no experience wat-so-ever... nv take babies b4, nor mothers..... perhaps i can take it out.... post us with more details !!

icer said:
Hi all,

Got a friend who is working in a new magazine company and they are looking for photographers to do shots on babies and mothers for their magazines.

1) This is a good chance for those newbies who want to try doing some shots on models without having to pay for the model and the studio.

3) You will need to give a copy of the photos taken for the magazine to choose the best to use.

Anyone interested, please PM me with your real nice and contact and preferably some online album link just to let the magazine choose which photographers in case response is too good.

Additional information you will be given recognition if your photos are being used. Photography by icer for instance. And you can use the photos for your portfolio so long as not for commercial purposes.

So far, I think the company is looking at just maybe 4 photographers. So clive if you interested, please PM me your album link and contacts. Tom, give me your album link if you have.

Thanks all for the responses. :)

aiyo paiseh i dont have a "proper" album like what soem of the more established dudes here have..hehe :embrass: :angel: :sweat: :) ya my digital set-up is still in a mess..and i dunno anything about professional studio lighting and all that studio set-up stuff..me only can do "impromptu-on-the-spot" event covering style shooting..lolz..studio stuff must ask zek to teach me..soem more me eating pocky in front of the jp inn's computer (FOC one..haha!)...me back in sg in 13th..if 13to20th that week can lah most prolly can arrange wif u for a casual shoot if u dont mind my lack of studio-know-how =)

pointblankshots said:

Yup, I know what you mean man...

Btw... if the pics get published... does the photog earn royalties since the copyright is owned by the photogs (even thought they are volunteers)??

Don't forget, the magazine will earn a profit when it gets sold. ;)
Sorry... no offence but thought I'd just point this out.

Zplus said:
Yup, I know what you mean man...

Btw... if the pics get published... does the photog earn royalties since the copyright is owned by the photogs (even thought they are volunteers)??

Don't forget, the magazine will earn a profit when it gets sold. ;)
Sorry... no offence but thought I'd just point this out.

No lah, I know how a magazine functions, they dun pay royalties for this kind of photos.....maybe National Geographic but definitely not this kind of motherhood magazine.

They usually pay a fixed sum or get in house photographers to do it. Once and for all, no royalties. Even I wrote articles for magazines also a fixed sum, no royalties one.

Unless it's those photo-based magazines then maybe. I think.

so a magazine is willing to spend on other things but stinge on photographers' fees? we seem pretty low on your ladder.

in the other organized shoots where the photogs pay to shoot, there are NO obligations to deliver the 'goods' .....

"And you can use the photos for your portfolio so long as not for commercial purposes." .... why not? did you pay for these images in the first place? If you want exclusivity to the images ... then pay for it.

....just a 2nd serious thought following pointblankshots's 1st serious thought

got a feeling they are looking for free (and good) photographers here.... Kind of not that good, coming to such a forum to get Free stuffs (same to those that specially came here to sell their items).

Some how, i know this is not for ppl to get the chance to try out their photography skills, more like making use of Free Resources....

This is just my feeling about this...... dun take to heart. ;)

icer said:
Additional information you will be given recognition if your photos are being used. Photography by icer for instance. And you can use the photos for your portfolio so long as not for commercial purposes.

So far, I think the company is looking at just maybe 4 photographers. So clive if you interested, please PM me your album link and contacts. Tom, give me your album link if you have.

If you're hired by the magazine, normally such credits are already given in the magazines, and of course, since it's a paid job, you can't use the photos for any other commercial purposes.

In this case we're not being paid and we have to give the copyrights to the magazine. Cute.

icer said:

This looks familiar... somebody earlier on was claiming the win-win situation also... "shoot models for free"

Shoot for free still must see album/portfolio. Hmmm :think:

If I shoot for free, the photos belong to the photographer, in order to use the photos, they should be paid royalties. Unless the photographers are being hired to shoot, in which it's a totally different matter. :think:

espn said:
If you're hired by the magazine, normally such credits are already given in the magazines, and of course, since it's a paid job, you can't use the photos for any other commercial purposes.

In this case we're not being paid and we have to give the copyrights to the magazine. Cute.

This looks familiar... somebody earlier on was claiming the win-win situation also... "shoot models for free"

Shoot for free still must see album/portfolio. Hmmm :think:

If I shoot for free, the photos belong to the photographer, in order to use the photos, they should be paid royalties. Unless the photographers are being hired to shoot, in which it's a totally different matter. :think:

Don't mind I put my view here (strictly juz my personal view).
Actually anyone can offer anything here but it is up to the individual to accept the offer or not. No one is forcing us to accept their offers. So in this instance icer can offer anything and even put up any conditions he wants. If anyone who find this unfair, then one shouldn't response and in future there will be no such postings again. But if more ppl can accept such deals, then we will be getting more of such deals in the forum.
However, i find such deals as a no-win-no-win situation. For the photog, you only save the price of a paid-photoshoot (which is abt $50). In return what do one get ..... as for the company, do you really expect quality works? If it's quality, then it would be very unfair not to pay anything, as i find it unethical. If for ppl who really wants to try out some mums and babies, call yr family members/friends and bring them to one of the studio and get some nice shots and a good afternoon fun, and especially some of the studio-owners are more than willing to help out and teach you a thing or two. Share with other photog the costs and you will be surprised it's quite affordable. Also the most impt thing, never spoil the market for the rest of the professionals, who knows, you may be one in the future!

I totally accept what LauLee said above

".....in this instance icer can offer anything and even put up any conditions he wants...."

The poster has posted his reasons and conditions and I have posted my own reasons and opinions ...... just so both sides of the coin are shown to help forum members ....( AND the magazine too!) .... make an educated decision.

A publication lives and dies by ...... ITS CONTENT (both imaging and written). Any editor who takes a risk with content needs to have his/her head examined.

ed

p/s I draw your attention to the source of my ire.... Icer said "....Even I wrote articles for magazines also a fixed sum..." ...... so he writes and gets paid and its OK that photographers shoot for free??? :bigeyes: go figure...I'm out of this thread.

I support LauLee's views. For those who had experienced commercial work would understand that there is a certain standard to upkeep and it is driven by the finest detail you can dream of.

Cool, can I joint?? :)
icer said:
Hi all,

Status
Not open for further replies.