Studio lighting set

Status
Not open for further replies.

tc811

May 20, 2005
Hi all,

After just starting this hobby for a while, realised that some bros here share the same thought that studio lighting sets are quite expensive. As i also tend to shoot still objects, i've use DIY kits to simulate studio set.

I use styrofoam and some spotlights equipment to set up my studio set.:)

detail

detail

detail

As i've not finalised, so u can see the lights is very soft and not strong enough. In fact, i used a low power bulb. And the light is supposed to be hook onto a stand. It's up to u to change the bulb according to (strong?, yellow? or white color).

Then u cover the top with a cone shape object so that the lights will only point downward. I'll copy the top with some tinted paper so that the light will not be so strong downward (but a bit soft). On both the left and right side, u will add on 2 more spots light so that the object is bright enough(optional). Of course, u can make your own stand to put the handphone on it so tat it looks more professional.

And this setup is less than $100.:)

Any comments and suggestion?

Hi Kiama,

Your's more pro than mine. Maybe have to modify a bit more.

Hi Tc811,xl1, kiama

You guys are awesome with the DIY stuff. I can't wait to try it out.

Tc811. tks for starting the thread..

For your setup, won't there be quite a bit of stray light escaping from the sides? ( pls pardon me if it's an ignorant question). Therefore light might not be evenly spread out?

Hi Tc811,xl1, kiama

You guys are awesome with the DIY stuff. I can't wait to try it out.

Tc811. tks for starting the thread..

For your setup, won't there be quite a bit of stray light escaping from the sides? ( pls pardon me if it's an ignorant question). Therefore light might not be evenly spread out?

As i mentioned, it is incomplete yet. It will have 2 lights shining inwards from the 2 side just like Kiama (his is 2 lights infront). So the lights from 3 angle should be evenly distributed. (1st time DIY, still learning).;)

I understand, my bad:)

I will prob drop by looking for those materials to start building my own DIY set also.

Any ideas on where to start to get stuff cheap?

Well, for me the polyfoam is $1.90 each (4 pc). Polyfoam cutter is $7.90 and some tapes @ $2.50. The bulb set is abt $24 (1 light set & 2 bulb). Still need 2 more light set.:)

After seeing Kiama's setup, i decided to do something similar. Below is the pics of the setup, and the photo taken using the setup.
detail

detail

detail

detail

The top light are using soft warm bulbs, so the effects varied. In fact, i'm also trying to figure out how to set the white balance correctly. Any comments?:dunno:

The top light are using soft warm bulbs, so the effects varied. In fact, i'm also trying to figure out how to set the white balance correctly. Any comments?:dunno:

What camera you are using?

Tunsten mode in D70 with some fine tuning serves me well.

On a 20D i just experiment and set the colour temperature.

If you are looking for an even and spread out effect.. might as well save all the trouble and pay abit more for a light tent.

Most impt about a non-self made one is that it is portable and can be kept easily.
A no brainer shot:

Rental&

What camera you are using?

Tunsten mode in D70 with some fine tuning serves me well.

On a 20D i just experiment and set the colour temperature.

If you are looking for an even and spread out effect.. might as well save all the trouble and pay abit more for a light tent.

Most impt about a non-self made one is that it is portable and can be kept easily.
A no brainer shot:

I'm using 350D. The light tent is not an issue, but rather the color temperature setting for my camera. I understand from the shop that the light cannot be change to white color type. Haiz.

I'm using 350D. The light tent is not an issue, but rather the color temperature setting for my camera. I understand from the shop that the light cannot be change to white color type. Haiz.

That is no issue for a DSLR because you can set colour temperature balance.

Do some googling..

That is no issue for a DSLR because you can set colour temperature balance.

Do some googling..

What i meant is that the light is a warm orange color, but i actually wanted a white color type. So either i change my camera setting or i tried to replace another white color light.

perhaps you will do better with a master-slave flash setting? haven't try marcos yet but then have done some portraits with a multiple flash setup.

What i meant is that the light is a warm orange color, but i actually wanted a white color type. So either i change my camera setting or i tried to replace another white color light.

well, i not sure if this will works, but why not place a white paper to cover the warm orange light , maybe it will turn out better??
Just my 2 cents opinion, if this works, perhaps u can share with us ???

Status
Not open for further replies.