studio lighting on newborn babies

Status
Not open for further replies.

engineermunn

Nov 21, 2002
Visit site
what do you all think? will the lighting from flash and slaves affect newborn babies' eyes?

shouldn't be a problem right?

anyone out there who has done photography for babies?

please advise.

thanks.

engineermunn said:
what do you all think? will the lighting from flash and slaves affect newborn babies' eyes?

shouldn't be a problem right?

anyone out there who has done photography for babies?

please advise.

thanks.

I did a search on this topic before, I think the conclusion is that it is alright. I I remember reading that one opthalmologist commented that the lights they shine into babies' eyes are very bright too, and for much longer than a flash's duration.

But no damage doesn't mean that the babies will like it. I certain don't like being flashed at as the 'hotspot' remains in my vision for a while.

I always use bounce the flash off the ceiling or walls when shooting babies. I don't even use a diffuser. No matter what the experts may say, it could upset the baby a lot. I remember my first flash shots when shooting a friend's 3-month old son. The poor chap looked absolutely shocked when the flash went off. Started crying. Some babies are OK. My daughter was no trouble at all, but I still use bounce flash.

how old is the newborn baby?
first 2 weeks though their eyes are open, but they are blind by nature.
So if u r toking abt the first 2 weeks, it shdnt be a problem :)

if possible, just set to a higher ISO... :)
or like wat other says.. use a bounce card

RudeBaby said:
how old is the newborn baby?

if possible, just set to a higher ISO... :)
or like wat other says.. use a bounce card

Babies are not "blind by nature" during the first 2 weeks. They cannot focus their eyes and thus cannot see anything clearly beyond 1 feet, but they are sensitive to light.

diffuse the light substantially if u not comfy with the idea of flash light on newborns :)

RudeBaby said:
Nope they are not blind. When my daughter was born, she would respond to visual stimuli. Seen this in most other babies too.

RudeBaby said:

http://www.family4life.com/mommysworld/babys_first_signs.htm said:
Many people think a newborn's eyesight is blurry, but she simply has a very narrow range where focus is best: between 10 and 12 inches away...

Not blind, but narrow focus range. Shallow DOF...keke...

Status
Not open for further replies.