Studio - How to set exposure?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can I just set the camera to Tv mode, flip it around, point it at the light source and make it an incident meter like the flash meter? :think:

heehee..maybe should use conventional..

wah!! tis is the first time i heard of such method..but it sounds logical cos aperture, distance guide number are closely related..tis method can call traditional? :bsmilie:
this is very old school, very very old school, long before flash being use in studio.

Can I just set the camera to Tv mode, flip it around, point it at the light source and make it an incident meter like the flash meter? :think:
not sure what you want to archive, but flash and modeling lamp may not related as in ratio of brightness.

After getting the readings from the light meter, how do I set the exposure of the camera?
depend what kind of flash meter you are using, basically in studio, you shutter speed should set above sync speed, and shutter speed will not affected the flash exposure.

set your camera ISO, and set the same ISO on your flash meter, pop the flash, taking the reading, most meter will give you a f stop, set this f stop on your camera, you may fine tune it after seeing the camera LCD after some test shots.

If this f stop is not you what intend to use, you may increase or decrease your flash output to get the ideal f stop you wish to use.

depend what kind of flash meter you are using, basically in studio, you shutter speed should set above sync speed, and shutter speed will not affected the flash exposure.

set your camera ISO, and set the same ISO on your flash meter, pop the flash, taking the reading, most meter will give you a f stop, set this f stop on your camera, you may fine tune it after seeing the camera LCD after some test shots.

If this f stop is not you what intend to use, you may increase or decrease your flash output to get the ideal f stop you wish to use.

The meter takes readings based on incident light and the camera takes in what is reflected; wouldn't there be a mismatch? :think:

The meter takes readings based on incident light and the camera takes in what is reflected; wouldn't there be a mismatch? :think:
guess you need to read up more about incident and reflected metering method, do a google search first.

the incident metering method is read the how much light falls on the subject, irregardless the subject is white or black, using the recommended reading to make exposure, it will expose the subject as it is.

reflected metering method is read how much light reflected from the subjects, it will fool you if you are not sure where to take the reading from, cos all the meters are calibrated to measure 18% midtone.

the incident metering method is read the how much light falls on the subject, irregardless the subject is white or black, using the recommended reading to make exposure, it will expose the subject as it is.

reflected metering method is read how much light reflected from the subjects, it will fool you if you are not sure where to take the reading from, cos all the meters are calibrated to measure 18% midtone.

OK. Simple and clear. :thumbsup:

heehee..maybe should use conventional..

wah!! tis is the first time i heard of such method..but it sounds logical cos aperture, distance guide number are closely related..tis method can call traditional? :bsmilie:

Catch light do not like people to remind him of his age..... He is not traditionalist...

He is a PURIST!!:sweatsm:

Huh, is this possible??? :eek:

Yes.. You know the power of the strobes, that can be translated to guide number depending on the attachment you use on the strobes, so from the distance you should be able to calculate the aperture you need.

set your camera to manual mode. in gist, set f no and speed according to meter.

After getting the readings from the light meter, how do I set the exposure of the camera?

Yes.. You know the power of the strobes, that can be translated to guide number depending on the attachment you use on the strobes, so from the distance you should be able to calculate the aperture you need.

The modifiers (such as softbox, umbrella, snoot, etc) would make this method difficult to use, wouldn't they? :think:

The modifiers (such as softbox, umbrella, snoot, etc) would make this method difficult to use, wouldn't they? :think:

For crying out loud, get a light meter.

Get a lightmeter.

Then either get/borrow books that teaches lighting in studio, or go for lessons conducted by SAFRA/PSS/etc etc.

Or get a fren with studio to teach u, or got for some studio shoot primer.

Yes sir! I am getting one, right away - but my money is running low at the moment. :confused:

now, that is a problem ...

shooting teathered will also work, as you can view on a calibrated screen/real histogram what the light is doing ....

Status
Not open for further replies.