studio flash at f1.8...

Status
Not open for further replies.
good discussion topic.
i tried using f2.8, couldnt even do it.unless i move the flash far away.and the light falloff is horrible.:dunno:

often find myself using f5.6.

so guys, if i want the bokeh and shallow DOF for portraits from eye to ear(for eg), how do it do it other than PS?:dunno:

good discussion topic.
i tried using f2.8, couldnt even do it.unless i move the flash far away.and the light falloff is horrible.:dunno:

often find myself using f5.6.

so guys, if i want the bokeh and shallow DOF for portraits from eye to ear(for eg), how do it do it other than PS?:dunno:

U can try putting a softbox, gobo, white cloth over softbox to cut down the light. or you can tilt the light with a diffuser. there is many ways to cut down lights and also, you can look into isolating the light to particular section. Also, by using a background flash, you can 'blur' the background as flash will over expose (higher intensity than foreground) the background but another flash in front will do a fill in for the subject. studio photography is not always just about 2 or 3 flashes... u can add more as and when necessary.

U can try putting a softbox, gobo, white cloth over softbox to cut down the light. or you can tilt the light with a diffuser. there is many ways to cut down lights and also, you can look into isolating the light to particular section. Also, by using a background flash, you can 'blur' the background as flash will over expose (higher intensity than foreground) the background but another flash in front will do a fill in for the subject. studio photography is not always just about 2 or 3 flashes... u can add more as and when necessary.

i'm not referring to subject isolation from background.

i'm referring to say...

i want her eye sharp but her ears blur.half face shot.

but i guess ND filter is the way to go but i hate putting anything infront of the lens.
always have this psychological feel that the quality of pic will be degraded.:dunno:

i'm not referring to subject isolation from background.

i'm referring to say...

i want her eye sharp but her ears blur.half face shot.

but i guess ND filter is the way to go but i hate putting anything infront of the lens.
always have this psychological feel that the quality of pic will be degraded.:dunno:

that depends how you wanna shoot...

let me ask a simple question... y do you need to use a flash when you can do with ambient light?

then another key point of studio flash vs shoe mount flash, HSS, High Speed Sync, depending on the studio flash and also your camera's flash sync. Most studio flash sync most at max 1/125 or 1/250, so you have to adjust your aperture to match, but if using for eg your system, D200 with SB800, i think it can sync 1/4000 or 1/8000, isn't that enuff? btw, i am not nikon user, so maybe can only 1/2000 but i guess is good enuff... and i dunno if u can use if off the mount. like on the side or something.

that depends how you wanna shoot...

let me ask a simple question... y do you need to use a flash when you can do with ambient light?

then another key point of studio flash vs shoe mount flash, HSS, High Speed Sync, depending on the studio flash and also your camera's flash sync. Most studio flash sync most at max 1/125 or 1/250, so you have to adjust your aperture to match, but if using for eg your system, D200 with SB800, i think it can sync 1/4000 or 1/8000, isn't that enuff? btw, i am not nikon user, so maybe can only 1/2000 but i guess is good enuff... and i dunno if u can use if off the mount. like on the side or something.

ic.i know what you mean.
but since i'm obsessed with studio currently, i will exile my sb800 for the moment.

ic.i know what you mean.
but since i'm obsessed with studio currently, i will exile my sb800 for the moment.

sometimes should take your SB800 out for a walk... u might kinda like it... i find the SB800 very versatile... i had tried using it for product shoot and flash photography with my system... works pretty well.

sometimes should take your SB800 out for a walk... u might kinda like it... i find the SB800 very versatile... i had tried using it for product shoot and flash photography with my system... works pretty well.

yes i know.i love it too.especially the off shoe wireless triggering with iTTL.
but the lack of light modifiers made me preferred the studio strobes over it.:(

Put extra stuff to cut down the flash power?
Moving the strobes far far away?
Putting on ND filters?

Doing all that just to shoot at f1.8? Come on... Might as well shoot with ambient light... why bothered about using strobes then? Maybe just consider a reflector will do...

Put extra stuff to cut down the flash power?
Moving the strobes far far away?
Putting on ND filters?

Doing all that just to shoot at f1.8? Come on... Might as well shoot with ambient light... why bothered about using strobes then? Maybe just consider a reflector will do...

Why not just use the modelling lights from the strobes of illumination? I know someone who did that...;)

BC

Why not just use the modelling lights from the strobes of illumination? I know someone who did that...;)

BC
Wouldn't it be too warm? Well, that defeats the purpose of using strobe lights...

Warm as in colour temperature or heat? If it is colour, there is always WB.

He wanted continuous lighting. All he had were strobes... so the next best thing was modelling light.

I think it's feasible if you wanted controlled lighting.

BC

Warm as in colour temperature or heat? If it is colour, there is always WB.

He wanted continuous lighting. All he had were strobes... so the next best thing was modelling light.

I think it's feasible if you wanted controlled lighting.

BC

might as well take white LED torch... cheaper...

wonder why is studio flash the only option? is studio flash so superior?

I still love the sun, even though I can't control it... ;)

might as well take white LED torch... cheaper...

wonder why is studio flash the only option? is studio flash so superior?

It is not the only option and, by no means, it is superior. You can use table lamps, spot lights,... etc., as long they are light sources.

If you are already in a studio, and your creativity sets in that you need certain lighting, you can always use what's already there... no need to run across the road to the mama shop to buy a LED torch... ;p . If you always walk around with a table lamp packed in your backpack, you can use it too. If you have a large window to allow the sun to shine in, open it... anything can be done... using the modelling light happens to be one of the way

BC

It is not the only option and, by no means, it is superior. You can use table lamps, spot lights,... etc., as long they are light sources.

If you are already in a studio, and your creativity sets in that you need certain lighting, you can always use what's already there... no need to run across the road to the mama shop to buy a LED torch... ;p . If you always walk around with a table lamp packed in your backpack, you can use it too. If you have a large window to allow the sun to shine in, open it... anything can be done... using the modelling light happens to be one of the way

BC

True... try telling it to TS & jeanie... hehehe... see my previous posts... i already made peace with what i had... ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.