Stuck Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.

shunzi

Nov 14, 2008
Anyone has this problem of your UV filter or CPL stuck on your expensive lens?

Anyway to solve it?

Anyway to solve it?
I had a stuck filter once on my 55-250mm lens. The grooves weren't good on the filter. I just rubbed the edges for a while, so that they get a little warm, then use a cloth, put it over the filter and try opening. The cloth provides more grip. Next time before screwing the filter back, get some WD40 oil and apply on the grooves. Just be careful not to have oil on the glass!

Hope it helps!

GMAN

Anyway to solve it?
try to find those thick rubber band and wrap around your filter.
shouldn't be hard to get it off ur expensive lense.

You can try adding friction and grip using a cloth, or you can try to hold the edge of the filter to an ice cube (to force contraction) or you can try a filter wrench.

Anyway to solve it?

I have done this a few times and even with my B+W filters. Some will cringe on doing this but I have never spoilt any of my filters doing so.

Get some masking tap 1.5" width. Cut out like about a strip that is longer by 4 inches of the diameter of the filter. Now centralise the strip to the filter and gently press down to stick the strip onto the glass and rim of the filter.

Now the two ends you roll them toward the filter. NOw holding the filter's edge along with the rolled ends of the strip, all this including the glass that the strip is sticking to will act as one solid piece, give you a better foothold to unscrewing it off evenly. SOmetime it is the off center pressure you apply that makes it harder to unscrew.

Masking tape does not leave much sticky bits on the surface of the filter nor have it ever scratch my precious filter. I usually use a cleaning solution to dissolve what's I see which is almost nothing the few times I did it.

But that is just me being comfortable doing it. So ...try this as the last resort after see what others here might propose you try. Good Luck.

Last edited:
press the filter against the lens when unsrewing, the pressure will help to unsrew.

This has worked for me a couple of times:

- place lens face up on table (I normally leave it mounted on the camera)
- place a cloth over the filter
- press your open palm down on the rim of the filter and twist

The cloth gives you grip on the rim, and pressing down from on above helps distribute the force. Squeezing the filter hard from the sizes normally deforms the filter and makes it even harder to remove.

I've successfully used some ordinary rubber bands, distributed around the rim, instead of the cloth -- it gives even better grip.

Don't press down too hard and damage your lens/camera! And of course apply pressure to the rim and not the glass ;)

thanks for the info everyone! :)

If you need to, have the manufacturer service centre take off the filter. The canon service centre removed a filter on one of my lenses.

One simple solution shared in CS in the past and it works!

Place a anti slip mat on top of the filter and place your palm on top of the mat and twist it open... should come off easily :)

Next time before screwing the filter back, get some WD40 oil and apply on the grooves. Just be careful not to have oil on the glass!

I would hesitate: WD40 is very thin and thus flows very well, there can be no guarantee that it will not flow where you want it to be, e.g. onto the glass.

Also it is normally reference to as a 'slightly corrosive' oil. I am not sure if it will have an effect on the coating or metallic parts. (but for sure WD40 is not paint-friendly)

I am be hesitant to use this oil on my lens. If there is any difficult removing filters, go buy a filter wrench as a last resort, they help to apply the force on the right places and will do the least harm to the lens.

for me i carefully dip the filter into a bowl of ice water, without letting any part of the lens get into cotact with the water... after 30 secs you can easily take off the filter:)

for me i carefully dip the filter into a bowl of ice water, without letting any part of the lens get into cotact with the water... after 30 secs you can easily take off the filter:)

better to put the ice into plastic bag and place it on top of the filter (lense point upwards as if taking picture of ceiling). Make sure the plastic bag is waterproof. You just need to lower the temperature of the filter a bit, so you can unscrew it. Wrap with towel when unscrewing.

I do this all the time:

Wrap a thin rubberised cable (I just conveniently use my pc mouse cable) round the the filter rim firmly, grab the two ends and turn... walah! Works for me everytime. Just an alternative suggestion ;p

Status
Not open for further replies.