stuck between D90 and A350

Status
Not open for further replies.

scorpio81

Nov 22, 2008
hi i am new to photography and want to get one.. but i am stuck between a d90 and a350... can anyone tell me the pros and cons of the 2 dslr's?

my main objective is landscape, portraits, and abit of macro. would like to try out panning too
all info is good info. thanks !

D90 has limited-use video function, a350 doesn't
Both have live view but i believe a350 has a articulated lcd liveview and d90 is fixed. a350 liveview implementation is also much better than canon or nikon at the moment.
D90 has better low light performance than a350 that is for sure, but at low iso a350 has excellent image quality at 14mpx.
a350 needs a good lens to really get the best out of its 14mpx sensor.
a350 has a smaller viewfinder than d90.
D90 costs more than a350.
D90 faster continuous shooting that a350.

Overall it boils down to the cost and what you need? if you already have nikon lenses , you should get a d90. i personally use a a350 with carl zeiss 16-80 as a primary lense. D90's direct competitor should be A700 anyways. If you like the sony bodies that what you should go for a700 instead.

D90 has limited-use video function, a350 doesn't
Both have live view but i believe a350 has a articulated lcd liveview and d90 is fixed. a350 liveview implementation is also much better than canon or nikon at the moment.
D90 has better low light performance than a350 that is for sure, but at low iso a350 has excellent image quality at 14mpx.
a350 needs a good lens to really get the best out of its 14mpx sensor.
a350 has a smaller viewfinder than d90.
D90 costs more than a350.
D90 faster continuous shooting that a350.

Overall it boils down to the cost and what you need? if you already have nikon lenses , you should get a d90. i personally use a a350 with carl zeiss 16-80 as a primary lense. D90's direct competitor should be A700 anyways. If you like the sony bodies that what you should go for a700 instead.
A700 is faaar ahead in term of its body and performance! Its a more serious / semi pro camera :)

I think A700 should be compared with a D200 / D300

From what I have seen, D90's build quality is quite poor, worst than the D80, not sure about the image quality though :(

I do agree with you that it boils down to the cost and what you need / have at the moment :)

Yes, A700 should be compared to a D300 category.

As for D90 or A350, both are very good cameras and looking at TS needs, either would do well. TS, maybe you should go to a shop and test out both cams to see which is more comfortable in your hands and do play around with the cam to see if the user interface is comfortable to you.

Start up cost for Sony is cheap but their high-end lens are quite expensive... :think:

True...

Nikon has Good Kit lens with decent build quality and good sharpness :)

Higher end lenses are always expensive :bigeyes:

Hopefully CZ for Canon mount will not be too expensive so that Sony can follow suit to lower their prices. Anyway, when will the CZ for Canon be available? Hope it wouldn't take ages to materialise.

I apologize , the a700 is truly a different class , i just upgraded and am truly impressed for the price!!

if u are rich hobbyist..get both
if u are a serious hobbyist either of one will be a good camera for u regardless of what u choose

With Sony, aka Konica Minolta....you can use probably use even the lens that were made long long ago only that they would be manual.

for the usage however, might want to consider Pentax or Fuji which are easier for the beginner.

With Sony, aka Konica Minolta....you can use probably use even the lens that were made long long ago only that they would be manual.

for the usage however, might want to consider Pentax or Fuji which are easier for the beginner.

You are right bro. Even lenses which were manufactured more than 2 decades ago are usable on the Sony cams and some of theses lenses rocks. Moreover the Sony cams are pretty user friendly too.

Indeed; I for one am praying that Zeiss comes out with AF Canon-mount lenses. Especially the 135/1.8, that makes me drool uncontrollably.

You should try the 135 f/1.8 on an A900... ;)

hi i am new to photography and want to get one.. but i am stuck between a d90 and a350... can anyone tell me the pros and cons of the 2 dslr's?

my main objective is landscape, portraits, and abit of macro. would like to try out panning too
all info is good info. thanks !

Ooooh. This is an easy question to answer...buy Canon lah, and save the trouble of comparing Nikon vs Sony. Sorry, I'm from the Canon camp and as you can see I'm terribly biased! ;)

Nevertheless, I think each DSLR has its pros and cons, and it is very difficult to draw a line to say which is better. So, how do you decide? Use your intuition. Go for something you really like (...just like how women buy things sometimes...and I can see shoes flying in my direction already!), and you'd not regret. And the thing is that whatever you buy, you'd learn to use it and overcome whatever weaknesses there are. Like the Chinese saying goes, "Marry Chicken, Follow Chicken. Marry Dog, Follow Dog."

Cheers!

which one is better for iso noise? D90 vs A700

Status
Not open for further replies.