stubborn spot found on lens

Status
Not open for further replies.

faa

Jun 25, 2004
www.flickr.com
hi there..

this is the first time i came across this prob tats why posting it here.

i'm selling a lens and when i met up with a potential buyer, he actually spotted this tiny weeny spot on the lens.. i was appalled to see tat little spot when he showed it to me..

i tried cleaning it using some lens tissue but to no avail.

however, all these while my shots were all rather clean and no obvious spots on the shots..

jus wanna ask, is there any way for me to double confirm if the tiny spot will cause any problem on my pics?

i took a few pics on a clear blue sky, did an auto-level to see if any obvious spots were found but all was clear..

played around with the levels to look out for any contrasty spots - also nothing.

are there any way to appease my potential buyer/s for this piece of lens?

hi there..

this is the first time i came across this prob tats why posting it here.

i'm selling a lens and when i met up with a potential buyer, he actually spotted this tiny weeny spot on the lens.. i was appalled to see tat little spot when he showed it to me..

i tried cleaning it using some lens tissue but to no avail.

however, all these while my shots were all rather clean and no obvious spots on the shots..

jus wanna ask, is there any way for me to double confirm if the tiny spot will cause any problem on my pics?

i took a few pics on a clear blue sky, did an auto-level to see if any obvious spots were found but all was clear..

played around with the levels to look out for any contrasty spots - also nothing.

are there any way to appease my potential buyer/s for this piece of lens?

well, you got to see how fussy are your protential clients. I still quite ok with a little bit of spot here and there in the lense. my FL55mm f1.2 got a (about .5mm) dust spot near the centre. but I got no problem with the final images... I don't really shoot into the light that often so it not so much a problem...

but a dust spot might cause the value of the lense to drop.

well, you got to see how fussy are your protential clients. I still quite ok with a little bit of spot here and there in the lense. my FL55mm f1.2 got a (about .5mm) dust spot near the centre. but I got no problem with the final images... I don't really shoot into the light that often so it not so much a problem...

but a dust spot might cause the value of the lense to drop.

yup.. its definitely lesser den .5mm too.. thanks for ur advice..

My 50mm f/1.8 has about as many spots as there are buttons on a handphone, but it doesn't affect my images one bit. Dust in your lenses do not affect your images unless they are on/very near the rear element, or they are in huge clumps; and sad to say, there will always be fussy potential clients that will refuse to buy when there are two specs of tiny dust.

there will always be fussy potential clients that will refuse to buy when there are two specs of tiny dust.

haha i agree man.. ups!! anymore experts care to help?

there's nothing to help here unless you wish to send in the lense for cleaning. like that bros here had said that dust dun really affect image quality. unless it's one big area. and the further the dust away from your camera sensor, the lesser effect it'll have to your images.

The buyer was being anal, dust/spots on the lens doesn't affect the picture in anyway. You can even draw a line on your filter and not have it show in your pictures. Stuff on your sensor is a different thing though.

Samuel

i wouldn't say the buyer is being anal. probably he doesnt know that in this case dun affect IQ. he might be just over cautious and it's not wrong. the lense will eventually end up in somebody's hand who appreciates it.

i wouldn't say the buyer is being anal. probably he doesnt know that in this case dun affect IQ. he might be just over cautious and it's not wrong. the lense will eventually end up in somebody's hand who appreciates it.

It is really a difficult case when you are trying to sell a lens that you know performs with no glitch and someone says he/she isn't gonna buy it cos of dust. As much as you want to play nice, sometimes such situations simply call for the direct approach:

"You're being unreasonable. Get real man, your first day on Earth?"

It is really a difficult case when you are trying to sell a lens that you know performs with no glitch and someone says he/she isn't gonna buy it cos of dust. As much as you want to play nice, sometimes such situations simply call for the direct approach:

"You're being unreasonable. Get real man, your first day on Earth?"

ahah cannot la.. mus still PR a bit mah.. maybe the buyer got bad experience b4.. tats why he's being extra careful.. but ya, the feeling sux when u know it performs well but the person jus wont buy it..

ahah cannot la.. mus still PR a bit mah.. maybe the buyer got bad experience b4.. tats why he's being extra careful.. but ya, the feeling sux when u know it performs well but the person jus wont buy it..

Yes, still must have basic PR...sad to say. More than once I have wished I had a crate of new lenses that I could set in front of the buyer and say

"nah, check every one and see if you can find a dustless copy. Must be ABSOLUTELY spotless."

:bsmilie:

who knows maybe he might be thinking dust on lense is as scary as dust on sensor... btw how to prevent dust from being sucked into lense ar? :)

who knows maybe he might be thinking dust on lense is as scary as dust on sensor... btw how to prevent dust from being sucked into lense ar? :)

THERE IS NO WAY!

That is the reality of it. From the time the lens is put together at a factory, there is no way, which is why *totally new* sets also have dust in them.

(Disclaimer: This is only true if you use your camera in normal usage environments, cleanrooms notwithstanding.)

Maybe he's being fussy just to make you drop price. I've heard people at a shop asking for discount cos there was only 1 piece left and they cannot choose between a few copies.

Some dust or micro spots is normal as long as no fungus on lens can liao.... :)

THERE IS NO WAY!

That is the reality of it. From the time the lens is put together at a factory, there is no way, which is why *totally new* sets also have dust in them.

(Disclaimer: This is only true if you use your camera in normal usage environments, cleanrooms notwithstanding.)

THERE IS actually a way! that is to keep it in dry cab and dun use it. it's lame i know. :bsmilie:

Dust will always be there. Even if you clean it now, it will be back again. Did you try cleaning it with a lens cleaning solution? Just give it a good and gentle rub. Lens tissue is too dry to wipe off stubborn spots that sticks.

I think some buyers are just too picky. They think buying second hand is like buying firsthand. I don't see them at the shop telling the salesman that they won't buy the new lens because its dusty....:think: ai pi ai chi

I think some buyers are just too picky. They think buying second hand is like buying firsthand. I don't see them at the shop telling the salesman that they won't buy the new lens because its dusty....:think: ai pi ai chi

lol...:bsmilie:

Even my Carl Zeiss and Leica lenses have black specks in between the elements. Does this mean that I am stuck with my lenses forever; unable to sell them?

I doubt.

Status
Not open for further replies.