Stroboscopic effect - possible on a studio strobe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nightwolf75

Staff member
Dec 18, 2003
really MORE diaper changes
i was browsing ard the other day and came across this post.
http://www.popphoto.com/popularphotographyfeatures/5424/flicker-flash.html

erm... does any one if it is possible for such an effect to be replicated on a studio strobe? the article uses our normal nikon and canon flashes. i googled ard, and they point me to some thing like a spinning cardboard attached to a camera... :think:

TIA! :)

i believe it should be possible with studio strobes..
if i'm not wrong, u can check out pocket wizards multimax receivers. i think they are capable of doing that.

http://www.pocketwizard.com/HTML/multimax_features.asp

under multi-pop?

wat i am concerned abt is the recycling of the strobe... eh, any other option apart from PW? :think:

wat i am concerned abt is the recycling of the strobe... eh, any other option apart from PW? :think:

i don't know of any other radio receivers which can do this.. regarding the recycle speed, i think u have to look at the faster packs.. i think u know which are the ones.
and usually the higher wattage strobes, will recycle faster.. as in a 1200ws strobe can recycle 600ws power faster than 600ws strobe at full power?

i think to do this using studio strobes, need some expensive gears! correct me if i'm wrong!

i not sure about studio strobes but i used to have an external flash that strobes up of 1/16 up to 10 times... ;p

its a Sunbiltz PZ-450 AF.

haha.. so did a lot of websites, actually. the other is sunpak, IIRC. ;p

can studio strobes recycle power fast enough for that shot you linked? wait the bulb go *pop ah... :bsmilie:

canon's flash can do that effect.. (of cos with a camera la.. ) check out the manual.. else can goggle it..

the modulus operandi (if i use this word correctly) is opening a long shutter, and flashng at certain frequencies..e.g. 300Hz, 10 times... background must be relatively dark and either on tripod or relatively steady hands...

mayb if i can find the pic i took, i will post it.. (of cos not perfect, but can see the effect...)

something like below, maybe different I am not sure.

bc_pd_lg_ff_cov.jpg

:dunno:

well, i'd rather not risk it... but if you wan me to try on your strobe, i don't mind... and if you rent a studio and try this, make sure the owner not watching... lol...

i think the construction of the external flash and the studio strobe differs, its the volt watt thing. and also the capacitor... haven seen a flickering strobe... and most will always have a 1sec delay beep for flash activate and recharged signal. imagine it goes, beepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeep... annoying as hell...

well, i'd rather not risk it... but if you wan me to try on your strobe, i don't mind... and if you rent a studio and try this, make sure the owner not watching... lol...

i think the construction of the external flash and the studio strobe differs, its the volt watt thing. and also the capacitor... haven seen a flickering strobe... and most will always have a 1sec delay beep for flash activate and recharged signal. imagine it goes, beepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeep... annoying as hell...

yah lor, hahaa....

worse next door call anti-terrorist unit, tot some1 inside trying to make bomb!:bsmilie: beep-beep-beep... *boom* :cool:

something like below, maybe different I am not sure.

bc_pd_lg_ff_cov.jpg

:dunno:

yep. something like dat.

yah lor, hahaa....

worse next door call anti-terrorist unit, tot some1 inside trying to make bomb!:bsmilie: beep-beep-beep... *boom* :cool:

u guys are probably right. i don't think i can get access to an expensive strobe to do it... guess i've to make do with my sb800.

don't want no police SWAT team at my door... :sweat:

Status
Not open for further replies.