Stroboscopic effect - possible on a studio strobe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nightwolf75

Staff member
Dec 18, 2003
really MORE diaper changes
i was browsing ard the other day and came across this post.
http://www.popphoto.com/popularphotographyfeatures/5424/flicker-flash.html

erm... does any one if it is possible for such an effect to be replicated on a studio strobe? the article uses our normal nikon and canon flashes. i googled ard, and they point me to some thing like a spinning cardboard attached to a camera... :think:

TIA! :)

nightwolf75

Staff member
Dec 18, 2003
i believe it should be possible with studio strobes..
if i'm not wrong, u can check out pocket wizards multimax receivers. i think they are capable of doing that.

http://www.pocketwizard.com/HTML/multimax_features.asp

under multi-pop?
wat i am concerned abt is the recycling of the strobe... eh, any other option apart from PW? :think:

drumma

Jan 5, 2005
Oulu, Finland, Finland
www.wongliji.com
wat i am concerned abt is the recycling of the strobe... eh, any other option apart from PW? :think:
i don't know of any other radio receivers which can do this.. regarding the recycle speed, i think u have to look at the faster packs.. i think u know which are the ones.
and usually the higher wattage strobes, will recycle faster.. as in a 1200ws strobe can recycle 600ws power faster than 600ws strobe at full power?

i think to do this using studio strobes, need some expensive gears! correct me if i'm wrong!

sORe-EyEz

Jun 28, 2005
SGee
i not sure about studio strobes but i used to have an external flash that strobes up of 1/16 up to 10 times... ;p

its a Sunbiltz PZ-450 AF.

sORe-EyEz

Jun 28, 2005
SGee
haha.. so did a lot of websites, actually. the other is sunpak, IIRC. ;p
can studio strobes recycle power fast enough for that shot you linked? wait the bulb go *pop ah... :bsmilie:

Aug 2, 2004
holland vee
canon's flash can do that effect.. (of cos with a camera la.. ) check out the manual.. else can goggle it..

the modulus operandi (if i use this word correctly) is opening a long shutter, and flashng at certain frequencies..e.g. 300Hz, 10 times... background must be relatively dark and either on tripod or relatively steady hands...

mayb if i can find the pic i took, i will post it.. (of cos not perfect, but can see the effect...)

Del_CtrlnoAlt

Feb 15, 2003
Outside the Dry Box.
Visit site
well, i'd rather not risk it... but if you wan me to try on your strobe, i don't mind... and if you rent a studio and try this, make sure the owner not watching... lol...

i think the construction of the external flash and the studio strobe differs, its the volt watt thing. and also the capacitor... haven seen a flickering strobe... and most will always have a 1sec delay beep for flash activate and recharged signal. imagine it goes, beepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeep... annoying as hell...

sORe-EyEz

Jun 28, 2005
SGee
well, i'd rather not risk it... but if you wan me to try on your strobe, i don't mind... and if you rent a studio and try this, make sure the owner not watching... lol...

i think the construction of the external flash and the studio strobe differs, its the volt watt thing. and also the capacitor... haven seen a flickering strobe... and most will always have a 1sec delay beep for flash activate and recharged signal. imagine it goes, beepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeep... annoying as hell...
yah lor, hahaa....

worse next door call anti-terrorist unit, tot some1 inside trying to make bomb!:bsmilie: beep-beep-beep... *boom* :cool:

nightwolf75

Staff member
Dec 18, 2003
something like below, maybe different I am not sure.

:dunno:
yep. something like dat.

yah lor, hahaa....

worse next door call anti-terrorist unit, tot some1 inside trying to make bomb!:bsmilie: beep-beep-beep... *boom* :cool:
u guys are probably right. i don't think i can get access to an expensive strobe to do it... guess i've to make do with my sb800.

don't want no police SWAT team at my door... :sweat:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom