Strobe vs. Continuous Lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

tristantran

Jun 10, 2007
Could someone help me out? What is the difference in usage of a strobe light and a continuous studio light? What difference in the effect? And why is strobe light so much more expensive than continuous light (aside from the power consumption)...Thanks for enlightening...

Could someone help me out? What is the difference in usage of a strobe light and a continuous studio light? What difference in the effect? And why is strobe light so much more expensive than continuous light (aside from the power consumption)...Thanks for enlightening...

Strobes have higher power for that short duration and are normally balanced to a certain light temperature.

Continuous light are normally warmer (meant for video work) and may not be bright enough for the photography sessions required. Also the constant light is hot, and may cause discomfort to the model if it's too close and left on for a long period of time.

Photographically speaking, a strobe would allow you to "freeze" the motion because they're usually powerful enough for you to sync at your camera's maximum (usually at 1/200, 1/250 or 1/500) and the stobe would usually last a fraction of a second (between 1/800 - 1/3000 of a second).

That being said, however, there are continuous lights that are bright enough for you to use high sync speeds as well but at the cost of generating a humongous amount of heat.

Last edited:
May i ask a very noob question........since it's continuous light, wat's are u going to high speed sync with??
BTW, continuous light cost a lot more than strobe........

Last edited:
There's no syncing, they probably meant simply "high shutter speed".

Continuous light MAY not cost a lot more than strobes. It all depends on what you are talking about (buncha bulbs compared to HDMI?)

May i ask a very noob question........since it's continuous light, wat's are u going to high speed sync with??

Sorry I meant "high shutter speeds" for the continuous lighting.

Thanks for explaining...Anyone have examples? I just simply can't imagine the difference in effect using strobe and continuous light on studio subject...Cheerios...

Thanks for explaining...Anyone have examples? I just simply can't imagine the difference in effect using strobe and continuous light on studio subject...Cheerios...

Just imagine using high powered spotlights on your model.... how long do you think the model can last?? :sweat::sweat:

Rarely ppl do so....

another side effect of continous lighting is the constriction of the pupil, since its a reflex action when bright lights are shining at you, which may or may not be desirable..

I think you will also find that constant lamps will tend to change their colour temperature more so over time.

Cheers :)

End of the day, it's the price u willing to pay.
Good continuous light dun come cheap and are normally bigger and heavier. With tat, deep pockets & logistic support are needed.
But shooting on "what u see is what u get" basis and not restricted by sync speed would be easier for photographers. I personally would prefer tat.

For strobes, there's recharge time/sync speed to bother followby test shoot to c if angle is right :)
Not forgeting there's also a very big price range for strobe from @ $300 for basic China model to @ $3000 for basic Sweden model.
Just my views, I don't even have any of these lighting equipments BTW.

Last edited:
Strobe = is Good for Potraits

Continuous lighting = is good for products photo

You can check You Tube. They have a very good and free lessons there.

Strobe = is Good for Potraits

Continuous lighting = is good for products photo

You can check You Tube. They have a very good and free lessons there.

Pls make sure you know what you're talking about first. :sweat:

Status
Not open for further replies.