Streets after dark... walking with the daredevil

6853043498_2cff73afd5_c.jpg

this is damn nice.
how does the stop sign look so clear? and how do you get even the sticker on the bin to show up with such a strong back lighting??!?! jawdropped

the lonely man, the shadows, the gang, compose a very strong image.

this is damn nice.
how does the stop sign look so clear? and how do you get even the sticker on the bin to show up with such a strong back lighting??!?! jawdropped

Spot metering... actually the back lighting is just the headlamp of a lorry. Spot meter on the crowd so everything is exposed very bright... giving that "close encounters of the 3rd kind" look.

[vid]dg_ej2eWA30[/vid]

A very good picture of a drunkard. I like the ray of light shining on his upper torso.

Thanks bro. I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that the subject is a drunkard. Many foreign workers sleep out on the street, because their accommodations are crowded and very hot on humid days.

these are really interesting. some really powerful images here. nice use of lighting and contrast.

though personally, I would avoid subjects like the lone guy sleeping on the street kinds of stereotypical subjects though. might be slightly demeaning to the subject. just my opinion. :)

Really nice and strong images here, even for a noobie in street photog like me! :) Just curious, did you use a DSLR or what camera to shoot those? Esp the 3rd photo, which gives the feeling that you might be in danger if you took the shot! :p

these are really interesting. some really powerful images here. nice use of lighting and contrast.

though personally, I would avoid subjects like the lone guy sleeping on the street kinds of stereotypical subjects though. might be slightly demeaning to the subject. just my opinion. :)

It is only demeaning if you see it as demeaning. ;) I do not find it demeaning as it is just a picture of a picture of a person sleeping.

Thank for viewing and the kind comments.

Last edited:
Really nice and strong images here, even for a noobie in street photog like me! :) Just curious, did you use a DSLR or what camera to shoot those? Esp the 3rd photo, which gives the feeling that you might be in danger if you took the shot! :p

Pictures posted here so far are shot with DSLR with the exception of the 1st picture, which was shot with an iphone.

3rd pic was actually very fun. I walked near them with a camera, smile, nodded, and they gave me the vogue look. And I shot. After that, I sat down with them after the shot and talked and laughed a little bit with them, and showed them my shot of them. You need to connect to your subjects. Not just shoot, but honestly be friends to them. They are just guys who left their home to work in another country. I can identify with them, because I lived and worked overseas for close to 20 years.

BTW, I find it more dangerous to shoot Singaporeans in Orchard road, than unlit back alleys in little india.

Thanks for your kind comments.

Last edited:
I have always enjoyed your work. This series is no exception.

Was there enuf light in the environment ? Did you use / need to use Flash?

Last edited:
Pictures posted here so far are shot with DSLR with the exception of the 1st picture, which was shot with an iphone.
BTW, I find it more dangerous to shoot Singaporeans in Orchard road, than unlit back alleys in little india.

You're right about that.

I have always enjoyed your work. This series is no exception.

Was there enuf light in the environment ? Did you use need to use Flash?

Most of the time, there is not enough light. Flash is not recommended when shooting street. Once you fire off a flash, people in the entire alley will disperse. We use small pocket-sized LED lights when needed.

And if you want to capture ambient shadows, you have to work in the dark. know how to focus to get a lock, or go manual focus. And my ISO is usually hovering around 5000 or 6400 in the back alleys. Sometimes, even that is not enough, and we have to shoot slightly underexposed, and boost it up later.

And Thank you for your support and kind words.

Last edited:
And for those interested in how some of us shoot street. Some of us will be helping Clubsnap guide a couple of street photography photowalks on 21st and 22nd of Apr. So if you are interested, please stay tuned to the special events section of the forum, and sign up!

And for those interested in how some of us shoot street. Some of us will be helping Clubsnap guide a couple of street photography photowalks on 21st and 22nd of Apr. So if you are interested, please stay tuned to the special events section of the forum, and sign up!
Good initiative :thumbsup: I look forward to the activity.