Streetphotography queries and help need

Status
Not open for further replies.

VainKid

Aug 1, 2009
Bedok
After looking through dannysantos and a few artwork on streetphotography and candid shots I'm pretty interested.

Currently equipment due to just started out 2 weeks ago :
D90 w/ kit lens and 50 1.8 prime.

Will I be able to produce such art work with such kit lens? What other lens do I need? I'm not ready to spend now as I just burst my wallet over DSLR, Christmas thingy, shopping but lets say I'm planning to get 1 more lens in 6 month time. What do u guys recommend for a $500-700 lens? preferbly thebmiddle range type (not too high end or entry level) Sorry I'm not a rich kids to afford to pay few grands for lens which I might not even be able to fully utilize it.

I'm not doing night shots so do I still need a tripod or external flash?

Any DOs and DONTs I need to take note and lastly what are the main focus point in the streetphotography ?

Your advice is greatly appreciated

Try and error, and then post your pictures up for C&C.

All the gurus and sifus will definitely guide you to your mistakes, and also applaud you for excellent work. Just don't give up and don't put down your camera.

VainKid, from what i know, dannysantos is using 85mm f1.4

To achieve reasonable bokeh - Yes.
To achieve fantastic bokeh - no.

There's a reason why fast lens exists. (otherwise why would ppl pay for f1.8 or f1.4 lenses?) Play ard with the kit lens to understand the fundamentals to achieving bokeh.

The quote from here

50/1.8 will do fine.
Just use it more and learn from the good ppl here.

After looking through dannysantos and a few artwork on streetphotography and candid shots I'm pretty interested.

Currently equipment due to just started out 2 weeks ago :
D90 w/ kit lens and 50 1.8 prime.

The cook matters more than the wok.

The masters of long ago had lenses and cameras far less capable than yours.

Ergo, you will not be limited by your equipment at this stage.

Street photography is all about timing and being there. Your ability to anticipate and feel is far more important.

If you think you can get good shots with a machine gun shoot-shoot-shoot approach, think again.

So the prime lens 50 1.8 is more than enough for street photography ? so i will not bring my 18-105 kit lens ?

VainKid, 50mm f 1.8 is good enough already to do streetphotography. (me, i seldom used my zoom lens, I used Tamron 90mm 2.8 most of the time)
There is NO " DOs and DONTs " in photographyl. break the rules. Explore. Experiment. And Have fun.
Try to read some photography magazines & books .
Be Original, try to make your own style..

And be respectful to people when you are doing photography on streets... I think that is one most important think you should always remember. :)

VainKid, 50mm f 1.8 is good enough already to do streetphotography. (me, i seldom used my zoom lens, I used Tamron 90mm 2.8 most of the time)
There is NO " DOs and DONTs " in photographyl. break the rules. Explore. Experiment. And Have fun.

And be respectful to people when you are doing photography on streets... I think that is one most important think you should always remember. :)
thanks man cheers

Some samples for you.
Using a manual focus, manual aperture 50/1.7

K7JP9692.JPG

K7JP9693.JPG

K7JP9694.JPG

shot them all while waiting to cross the road from Taka to Paragon on my way to meet my wife and daughter.
Most important is to read up and try. You will find a different style with each lens and different aperture settings. Different approach to using them as well.

Last edited:

+1... but you need to know the rules before you can break them... :)

If u see some of dannysantos earlier photos u'll realise that he was using a D80 with 18-55 kit lens and 55-200. even with these lens he could come up with great photos.

That's why I am impressed and inspired by all those street gurus, I'm going out now to try, anyway just wonder the last picture was a frend or some stranger? Taking in front of stranger won't kena trouble ?

That's why I am impressed and inspired by all those street gurus, I'm going out now to try, anyway just wonder the last picture was a frend or some stranger? Taking in front of stranger won't kena trouble ?

If subject approaches you and wants to beat you up then just delete the photo in front of the person and go continue shooting other people. :)

Normally people aren't happy if they discover you are snooping around and taking pictures of them. But if you are game enough you may approach them and ask permission. Otherwise I recommend a faster telephoto prime like the 85mm and be stealthy like a ninja and faster than puss in boots.

This evening will be packed with people at the Esplanade area. Go out and shoot. I will be there too but not as a ninja of course. Hehe. :cool:

So the prime lens 50 1.8 is more than enough for street photography ? so i will not bring my 18-105 kit lens ?

if you are dare to use 50 1.8 then go ahead or you choose to hide one side and shoot then use 18-105.. its depend on individual ;p and luck

In my perception, the best subjects would be chicks for being pretty or kids for being cute.

Imagine yourself taking a picture of somebody ugly. then he or she approaches and asks, "what is the big idea?"

save yourself from lying, shoot chicks :devil: rrrrrr

heppy new year everyone!

In my perception, the best subjects would be chicks for being pretty or kids for being cute.

Imagine yourself taking a picture of somebody ugly. then he or she approaches and asks, "what is the big idea?"

save yourself from lying, shoot chicks :devil: rrrrrr

heppy new year everyone!

haha you might be wrong some not good looking or with a average look might get nasty and you wont know each of everyone temper as some might think you are a PI or which ever comes in their mind..

i wont say the word ugly i will say not good looking or average look which sounds more nicer and wont hurt ppl that much.

Normally people aren't happy if they discover you are snooping around and taking pictures of them. But if you are game enough you may approach them and ask permission. Otherwise I recommend a faster telephoto prime like the 85mm and be stealthy like a ninja and faster than puss in boots.

This evening will be packed with people at the Esplanade area. Go out and shoot. I will be there too but not as a ninja of course. Hehe. :cool:

if you are dare to use 50 1.8 then go ahead or you choose to hide one side and shoot then use 18-105.. its depend on individual ;p and luck

i shoot with a 50mm 1.4 with 50D, and at night time I could pump the ISO up to 1600 ...

the main problem would be on focusing ... 1.4 is micro USM ...
I used to shoot with AI SERVO, now shooting with AI FOCUS because i don't think i know how to use AI SERVO
usually it is the subject and shooter moving towards each other ...

care to give any tips?

Status
Not open for further replies.