[streetNOISE] Thaipusam 2013

daredevil123

Staff member
Oct 25, 2005
lil red dot
PLEASE NOTE:

ALL PHOTOGRAPHERS ARE ASKED TO LEAVE THE TEMPLE ON SIGHT. PHOTOGRAPHERS WILL ONLY BE LET BACK INTO TEMPLE AT 2AM.

Just did a recce of the temple grounds several hours ago. Part of the temple is undergoing renovation and blocked off. As such the temple grounds will be a lot smaller than last year (around 40% smaller). With this space issue, I am not sure if photographers will be granted access into the temple or not this year. If you can, I would strongly suggest you go shoot the event after 1am when the crowd thins out. Please pm me to let me know if you are coming 1am or after. I will still be around in the temple grounds.

8399748233_6e1c846a0b_m.jpg

ARE YOU READY FOR THAIPUSAM 2013??!!

The mood has already started on the streets!

8404131185_8eab1f19d0.jpg

8404131089_3328775f8d.jpg
[/CENTER]

Thaipusam is happening from midnight 27th Jan 2013 till 6pm. Preparations at the temple will begin on the evening of 26th Jan 2013. Thaipusam devotees will start their walk from Sri Srinivasa Perumal Temple at 397 Serangoon Road (S)218123.

The shoot will be very free and easy. We will meet in Little India on 26th Jan (Saturday) at 7pm. After introductions, some briefing and dinner/coffee, we will proceed to Sri Srinivasa Perumal Temple. We will disperse to shoot the event. You are free to shoot the event as long as you like. And leave whenever you like.

What to bring:
1. Your camera equipment. (Keep it light, it will be long long shoot)
2. Try to wear yellow or orange clothing.
3. Sandals are recommended, because you will need to take them off most of the time when on holy ground.
4. bring a plastic bag to put your sandals in, and have a way to tie the plastic bag to your body or bag.
5. Please be respectful to the devotees. DO NOT USE A FLASH, flash bursts will affect the devotees in a trance greatly and cause a situation. If you need light, we suggest you use a small LED continuous light.

About streetNOISE
streetNOISE is an interest group created by a group of photographers as a sharing hub and think tank for Street and Documentary Photography. We welcome photographers who enjoy street photography to share their thoughts and photos. We aim to promote Street/Documentary Photography in Singapore by constructive sharing of thoughts and techniques so we can help fellow photographers raise their level of proficiency in Street/Documentary photography. https://www.facebook.com/groups/streetnoise/

============

1. ge0tay
2. kboon123
3. duffydufs
4. sooze
5. oceanpriest
6. shelomoh
7. pchengws
---- STOP AT 7 -----

Reserve List:
1. thoongeng
2. Andrew6877
3. fotou
---- STOP AT 3 -----

Last edited:
1. ge0tay
---- STOP AT 7 -----

Reserve List:
---- STOP AT 3 -----

Re: [streetNOISE] Thaipusam 2013
1. ge0tay
2. kboon123
---- STOP AT 7 -----

Reserve List:
---- STOP AT 3 -----

After signing up, please PM me your contact info (HP number for whatsapp/sms preferred)
Meet up location details will be PMed to you the day prior to the outing.
No sign ups for others (Significant others or friends). Please get them to sign up for a free Clubsnap account and sign up themselves.
============

1. ge0tay
2. kboon123
3. duffydufs
---- STOP AT 7 -----

Reserve List:
---- STOP AT 3 -----

If im not wrong during the past few Thaipusam that i went to shoot, preparations for devotees carrying the kavadis will start later in the evening to very early morning. The earlier ones are for devotees carrying pots of milk..i could be wrong this year, though.

The past few times i attended, flash was ok, most photographers used it..but thanks for the info regarding flash. Will keep in mind.

Happy shooting..hope to see some of you there..will be coming close to or after midnite..

need to be member of "streetNoise" to join ...?:eek:;p

No need sir. these slots are open to the CS community. ;)

And to the rest of the CS community, Tungtong will also be joining us for this. You will get to meet him in person before the shoot. And when we go to the temple, we will disperse. of course we will run into each other from time to time on the temple grounds. ;)

Last edited:
If im not wrong during the past few Thaipusam that i went to shoot, preparations for devotees carrying the kavadis will start later in the evening to very early morning. The earlier ones are for devotees carrying pots of milk..i could be wrong this year, though.

The past few times i attended, flash was ok, most photographers used it..but thanks for the info regarding flash. Will keep in mind.

Happy shooting..hope to see some of you there..will be coming close to or after midnite..

The good folks did not complain, doesn't mean it is ok to do so. There was one incident at Batu caves last year, when a photographer with on board flash went up to a vel kavadi bearer and shot in his face... she was almost beaten up.

If you go after midnight, most of the palkuddam (milk pots) bearers will move off already, so the temple grounds will be a lot emptier and easier to move around. But you will also miss the crowds of people doing their preparations like these...
http://darthbertz.blogspot.sg/2012/02/thaipusam-2012-preparations-part-1.html

Last edited:
After signing up, please PM me your contact info (HP number for whatsapp/sms preferred)
No sign ups for others (Significant others or friends). Please get them to sign up for a free Clubsnap account and sign up themselves.
============

1. ge0tay
2. kboon123
3. duffydufs
4. sooze
---- STOP AT 7 -----

Reserve List:
---- STOP AT 3 -----

============

1. ge0tay
2. kboon123
3. duffydufs
4. sooze
5. oceanpriest
---- STOP AT 7 -----

Reserve List:
---- STOP AT 3 -----

============

1. ge0tay
2. kboon123
3. duffydufs
4. sooze
5. oceanpriest
---- STOP AT 7 -----

Reserve List:
1. pchengws
---- STOP AT 3 -----

|

============

1. ge0tay
2. kboon123
3. duffydufs
4. sooze
5. oceanpriest
6. shelomoh
---- STOP AT 7 -----

Reserve List:
1. pchengws
---- STOP AT 3 -----

============

1. ge0tay
2. kboon123
3. duffydufs
4. sooze
5. oceanpriest
6. shelomoh
7. pchengws
---- STOP AT 7 -----

Reserve List:
---- STOP AT 3 -----

i got stupid question... what's the preferred colour for clothing after yellow and orange? or is there any colours that we need to avoid? ;p
===================

============

1. ge0tay
2. kboon123
3. duffydufs
4. sooze
5. oceanpriest
6. shelomoh
7. pchengws
---- STOP AT 7 -----

Reserve List:
1. thoongeng
---- STOP AT 3 -----

i got stupid question... what's the preferred colour for clothing after yellow and orange? or is there any colours that we need to avoid? ;p

Not a stupid question, but a very good one. Actually any color is fine. But it you wear yellow or orange, you will blend in with the devotees better. because all of them will be in yellow and orange.

I will be heading out today to try to buy a thaipusam shirt.. hope they have my size. This is what the shirt looks like...

6834860443_6c833dd928_z.jpg

Last edited:
Hi,

I am very bad in places. Meet at Little India to me it is a big aread, will you inform us a more specific location to meet? In fact I need to find out which is the correct Temple location also.

Peter

thoongeng said:
===================

============

1. ge0tay
2. kboon123
3. duffydufs
4. sooze
5. oceanpriest
6. shelomoh
7. pchengws
---- STOP AT 7 -----

Reserve List:
1. thoongeng
---- STOP AT 3 -----

i got stupid question... what's the preferred colour for clothing after yellow and orange? or is there any colours that we need to avoid?
===================

============

1. ge0tay
2. kboon123
3. duffydufs
4. sooze
5. oceanpriest
6. shelomoh
7. pchengws
---- STOP AT 7 -----

Reserve List:
1. thoongeng
2. Andrew6877
---- STOP AT 3 -----

============

1. ge0tay
2. kboon123
3. duffydufs
4. sooze
5. oceanpriest
6. shelomoh
7. pchengws
---- STOP AT 7 -----

Reserve List:
1. thoongeng
2. Andrew6877
3. fotou
---- STOP AT 3 -----

Hi,

I am very bad in places. Meet at Little India to me it is a big aread, will you inform us a more specific location to meet? In fact I need to find out which is the correct Temple location also.

Peter

Do not worry. I will give you a specific address to meet. Like I said, I will send out a PM on Thur or Friday. So remember to check your inboxes.

============

1. ge0tay
2. kboon123
3. duffydufs
4. sooze
5. oceanpriest
6. shelomoh
7. pchengws
---- STOP AT 7 -----

Reserve List:
1. thoongeng
2. Andrew6877