Street photograpy at orchard this coming friday (27/11/09)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The spirit of street photography is to be bring out the humour/irony/truth of life in its rawest form. It's about capturing people/places at their most candid moment. By going around in a big group,
1) you attract attention of the subjects so nothing's candid anymore
2) you go slower and end up with less unique perspectives because everyone's floating around the same place

It's like holiday travel. The bigger the group (think tourists hauled from attraction to attraction by the busload) the more mainstream/less unique your experience. Think about it- if you were taking a photo from a certain location, it's unlikely for some photographer in this street photography group to go to the opposite side to try for a different angle. Because then you two get into each other's frames. So, everyone ends up shooting more or less from the same perspective and ends up with mediocre shots.

At the end of the day, street photography is a lot about capturing the Moment-- and it's brief and fleeting so you need to be fast when it happens. In a group, you lose that ability to be spontaneous.

The best street photography I've ever seen and done myself have all been the result of solo trips.

Bottom line: this genre of photography is tough as it is. Don't make it harder on yourselves.

My two cents. :)

Well said. :thumbsup:

Anymore Slot???

Kindly get back to me asap.

Thanks

70-200 for street photog is like carrying a cannon.... it attracts too much attention, it won't work...

Street photog means more than photos taken on a street.... It's all about timing and showing snippets of life and being in the action.

y can't?
er...i got no idea y u post this question..perhaps u got more experience in this?..mind sharing?

for me...if it is regarding about attracting attention..er.. there might be a high chance but since is near christmas season n is a holiday on friday...ppl shd b more relax isn't it?..anyway.. i intend to use 70-200 for street shoot so..haha...can act blur..

do share your tips ya..

cheers!:)

as Robert Capa says,

the first rule is to get close, second is to get closer.

The group will meet together but when come to shoot - own time own target.

Just to share..:)
I've joined only a few group shoot and the major disappointment is the lack of sharing after..
There is an incredible amt of learning from looking at photos taken by someone else, ard same time, same place, often same subject.

Could be same subject, maybe taken from another angle which looks amazing, and you wonder why didnt you think of that... Good or not so great, theres much to learn.

I'll suggest that everyone NOT be shy or proud. Put ego aside and just be open. Of course be polite and humble.
After the shoot, ALL meet at a cafe, and then pass cam/card after, see what others have shot. Otherwise wasted lah..
Plan for it as an impt part of the session, even end shoot earlier if necessary to cater for this sharing.

It may very well be the most rewarding time spent that evening...:)

Last edited:
I've joined a few group shoot and the major disappointment is the lack of sharing after..
There is an incredible amt of learning from looking at photos taken by someone else, ard same time, same place, often same subject.

Could be same subject, maybe taken from another angle which looks amazing, and you wonder why didnt you think of that... Good or not so great, theres much to learn.

I'll suggest that everyone NOT be shy or proud.
After the shoot, ALL meet at a cafe, and then pass cam/card after, see what others have shot. Otherwise wasted lah..

Hi guys I think redmonsoon is right about sharing the photos afterward...hope we still have time to sit down and talk/discuss on how to improve our skill (just dont be so sarcastic on C&C's - if we leaned together, we can move further in this kind of field).

Newbies to newbies is still ok , as long you are open minded on C&C's

Seeyah tomorrow!

Hi guys I think redmonsoon is right about sharing the photos afterward...hope we still have time to sit down and talk/discuss on how to improve our skill (just dont be so sarcastic on C&C's - if we leaned together, we can move further in this kind of field).

Newbies to newbies is still ok , as long you are open minded on C&C's

Seeyah tomorrow!

I 2nd that too. Perhaps we can do it over dinner? :) I got to go after that. but you guys can C&C after the night shoot too.

I would suggest you guys to stay back to shoot night christmas lights also. That place should be decorated by now.

Bro,

Went with Tangshooters just last week, and t'was quite enjoyable.

Wouldn't mind going again, since this trip starts from the day.

Count me in! ;)

1) FireZ..
2) Altern8tif
3) Vee5
4) redsuns85
5) kenneth
6) ShutterBlink
7) dmhchew
8) bluefang (TBC)
9) danielkieron
10)

1) FireZ..
2) Altern8tif
3) Vee5
4) redsuns85
5) kenneth
6) ShutterBlink
7)
8)
9)
10)

Hi guys, Im also a Newbies...do we still need the flash for night photography or i just bring it along with me just a case. Cheers!

haha..jus bring it along in case??
cheers!

1) FireZ..
2) Altern8tif
3) Vee5
4) redsuns85
5) kenneth
6) ShutterBlink
7) dmhchew
8)
9)
10)

cza bro!

Anymore Slot???

Kindly get back to me asap.

yeah bro...feel free to join...pm-ed u already..kindly reply wif hp no. too..
cheers!

Thanks

70-200 for street photog is like carrying a cannon.... it attracts too much attention, it won't work...

Street photog means more than photos taken on a street.... It's all about timing and showing snippets of life and being in the action.

icic..thanks for the guidance..noted it.
cheers!

Just to share..:)
I've joined only a few group shoot and the major disappointment is the lack of sharing after..

I'll suggest that everyone NOT be shy or proud. Put ego aside and just be open. Of course be polite and humble.
Plan for it as an impt part of the session, even end shoot earlier if necessary to cater for this sharing.

yeah sure..we shall have a gd chat regarding photos...no shy shy ya!!!

Bro,

Went with Tangshooters just last week, and t'was quite enjoyable.

Wouldn't mind going again, since this trip starts from the day.

Count me in! ;)

1) FireZ..
2) Altern8tif
3) Vee5
4) redsuns85
5) kenneth
6) ShutterBlink
7) dmhchew
8) bluefang (TBC)
9) danielkieron
10)

wow..seem like u haf rackey the place..gonna guide us!!

cheers all..

TO ALL joining... PLS PM ME YOUR HP NO. ...
THANKS!!

hi my friend and i want to join! can????

calvin - 81684746

call me asap! =)

welcome bro...

and sorry to say that..... NO MORE JOINING. Very sorry ya...exceeded 10 plus ppl...quite a lot...

To the rest....kindly PM me your HP. NO if u haven't do so...

Thanks all

CareZ!

can a friend and myself come too? :)

Kelvin 98436797

Morning every1....
didn't xpect gd responses....more than 15 of us joining this shoot...
sort of wish to close the entry but....

hm...anyway... bro blue_kelvinsg, welcome then..
sms u...

cza all....

***THE SO CALL "UPDATE PLAN"......***

To all who are joining..

Just a short intro of me for easy meet up...Jun Ming, male, 22, chinese, short hair..n semi-plump....yup...

Meeting place at Somerset MRT Control station.
There is a posb atm machine at the left side when u come out from the mrt entrance (the machine where u tap your card).
We shall meet there.

Place be either slightly early or on time to prevent waiting time...

I'll be bringing a piece of so call "attendance" hence, kindly let me know when u r there so i can indicate it.
As for those who will/might be late, do sms me b4 hand ya, so we can wait for you but still..try to b on time..

there will be more than 15 of us joining in the street shoot...(i know a bit too many for street photography..but quite bad to reject ya) hence... kindly find yourselves comfortable shooting partner/s cause probably we'll split out a little bit (unless we all wanna act like tourists hence able to walk as a grp...lol).

Dinner will probably at ...far east where there are more fast food (more varieties, unless some1 can suggest a better place)...
after dinner...we shall resume back shooting....but at that point of time...some might just go with their newly form group for their own shooting hence....kindly re-update me again..

Thing to AVOID/DO:
- If happen to be sharing/lending equipment/s, kindly stick 2gether as a group and have his/her number to ensure that you can get back your equipment cause somehow, something almost happened during 1 of the outing which i joined..but thankfully..the person got back his item which just happened to be a mistake/miscommunication only...
Take note ya...

pardon me if happen to be a bit bad in organising....cza all and enjoy..

cheers!;)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.