Street Photography

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sometimes, it's amazing what a friendly glance, smile and nod of the head or crook of the head and smile can do. :)

If that doesn't work, just move on.

VERY few are natural born socializers....... many, especially asians are shy and keep to themselves by nature....

SO, it is PERFECTLY NATURAL at first to be fearful when getting up close to strangers.... so dont make them strangers........ break ice either directly or indirectly

Practical adivse..... start with relatives and friends and their friends..... and when you are more comfortable..... work on their distant friends and distant relatives..... then try with folk who are used to being photographed by strangers (eg Chinatown area is shot to death daily) ..... then ...... well, you get the idea..... work on it progressively until you are comfortable talking to perfect strangers

Too shy ? ...... if you'd only spend less time online or on the PSP or DS and more time in the real world ha haha (just kidding)

ONE WARNING ...... while its all good to get up close and personal....... DO NOT get dragged into or get involved in situations that you are either not comfortable with or have NO BUSINESS getting involved in

Last edited:
Can learn slowly ... to me it's more about acknowledging a fellow human being, and their existence.

It should not always be about taking and taking from others even though sometimes, the nature of things suggest that a photographer is predominantly a 'taker'.

But sometimes, it's best to leave well alone, and just walk away silently.

And sometimes, you get more involved ...

Have to read the situation, the people etc first ...

Last edited:
I prefer 50mm or less eFOV. This means that I have to get pretty close to the scene and this can be quite daunting. My way of overcoming it is to shoot in touristy places like Little India, Chinatown or Arab Street where people are used to cameras pointing at them (some of the carpet merchants at Arab Street will fact invite you to shoot them).

I was also told not to shoot street in Geylang.

Actually, I would not restrict it to any range of focal length. So long as it tells the story it intend to.

To the TS, as mentioned, perhaps you can start with the more touristy areas and work your confidence up.

I dont agree with shooting street with a zoom tele lens.

I personally use only 35mm or 50mm prime lens, manual focus.

can check my flickr below.

Agree with Royal with cheese. Btw He is a great street photg.

I tried with long lens and got chased away by .... many.
So small is good=)

A lot of street phtogh like to use rangefinders including myself but a small dslr and PNS are great. I did get into trouble while using a PNS...

I prefer 50mm or less eFOV. This means that I have to get pretty close to the scene and this can be quite daunting. My way of overcoming it is to shoot in touristy places like Little India, Chinatown or Arab Street where people are used to cameras pointing at them (some of the carpet merchants at Arab Street will fact invite you to shoot them).

I was also told not to shoot street in Geylang.

Safety? seriosly an interesting place. to shoot

Usually theose Old old ah gong ah ma wont mind you taking pictures of them. But if shy, find a cocoroach or other animals and take pics of it (thats what i do).

sometimes different people are good at different things.

Some artist are good at pencil sketchings but cannot do charcoal paintings

my friend,who is a good wedding photographer, once said that no matter how hard he tries or have tried, he don't cut out to be a good fashion photographer.

i guess you should find your forte and excel in it instead.

Singapore still generally easy to take street photography, if u got the balls. minus shopping malls, geylang & state properties..

Also, do not take pictures where shady transactions or intimate contact will likely to take place..

Status
Not open for further replies.