Street Photography?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xunliang

Jul 3, 2009
Singapore
www.flickr.com
What is street photography and when would you deem the situation as appropriate to shoot? and what about parties whom you don't know but wish to capture, how do you handle such people or receive their consent without missing the shot?

Never tried street photography before and thinking it'd be cool to try someday.

Just go on the street and shoot. Use a long tele lens if necessary to get the candid shots.

What is street photography and when would you deem the situation as appropriate to shoot? and what about parties whom you don't know but wish to capture, how do you handle such people or receive their consent without missing the shot?

best place to learn imo, your nearest wet market.

asked many times.

1) what is street photography?

depends, i think the clubsnap definition here tends to be skewed more towards candids. for a classic definition of street photography, see in-public.

2) deem the situation as appropriate to shoot?

every situation. most of the time, i think i will be confronted by the people i shoot, i think that something will happen. then when i raise the camera and shoot, nothing ever happens. to be honest though ,i have not done street photography extensively in singapore, only london. so maybe they are more tolerant here.

3) don't know but wish to capture?

it depends. there are 8000 situations, i can already think of a few where you are potentially being insensitive and might end up in trouble;

e.g. guy with girlfriend dressed relatively skimpily..

e.g. little girl running around exposed at the beach

certainly, there are people in clubsnap who will tell you to look at the law and the law might possibly tell you that you have the right to capture whatever you want unless you're on private property and the owner does not give consent..

but there are laws, and there are unwritten rules...

e.g. guy with girlfriend dressed relatively skimpily..

e.g. little girl running around exposed at the beach

I think as a parent I would not be happy if you took pictures of a little girl exposed at the beach without asking me first....... and the answer would be no.

Similarly taking a pictures of a local towkay with his skimply dressed mistress may also result in a kicking.

If u take photos of a girl, and her bf confronts u and orders u to delete her photos, what will u do?

If u take photos of a girl, and her bf confronts u and orders u to delete her photos, what will u do?

why would u want to take a candid photo of a girl?? she wun be posing for u...too many pple around her...haha...

To the TS: most street photography is alright..just use ur common sense and know when NOT to take can liao...

Status
Not open for further replies.