Status
Not open for further replies.

lovells19

Oct 31, 2003
Deep Deep in the sea
www.flickr.com
Hi all,

trying out some street photography,

I wanna ask a few basic questions before i start. haha scared later i offend ppl on the street

1. Do we have to ask if we are taking passerby?
2. do you usually ask for permission or you start shooting away?
3. What rights do we have as photographer? or what rights do the passerby have (right to ask you to delete the photos)
4. I Wanna do some close up, should I use those 200mm zoom or just walk up and ask the passerby for permission?

thanks!! :D

:bigeyes:

This is spore.... Hard to find passer by to pose for u. Just hide in the bushes and ZooM Zoom Zoomz :p

It is not an offence to shoot at public places.
Normally, people will avoid the camera if they know you are shooting at their direction.
But if you find someone charging at you, I think you better run fast. :bsmilie:
However, if the passerby walk up to you and request his photo to be deleted.
I think it is basic courtesy to do so as requested.

If you are shooting with a small group of 3 to 4 photographers is not so bad.
But if you are alone it takes a lots of skill and guts to point your camera at strangers,
especially at close range.
So I must salute :thumbsup: to all street photographers, who do it openly alone.

lovells19 said:
LOL

hmm then i should invest in a fast zoom lens then :p

but its ok to shoot rite? without asking

Shoot first ask later. :bsmilie:
Unless you want them to pose for you.
The shot will not be natural once it is a pose shot.

lovells19 said:
i find it quite hard to bring up my camera and shoot.. quite afraid to offend ppl..

let me try again! :D ehhehee

Maybe, you can start off shooting in a small group.
That will definitely help to build up your confidence and guts.
Good luck my friend ;)

obewan said:
Maybe, you can start off shooting in a small group.
That will definitely help to build up your confidence and guts.
Good luck my friend ;)

its also depends on what the group is shooting at...they just might get into more trouble...

As a group will draw more unwanted attention...

Go close and feel the thrill. It's scary but the thrill of getting the shot ... priceless! If kena scolded or what leh, just apologize lah, usually everything will be fine. :)

lovells19 said:
Hi all,

trying out some street photography,

I wanna ask a few basic questions before i start. haha scared later i offend ppl on the street

1. Do we have to ask if we are taking passerby?
2. do you usually ask for permission or you start shooting away?
3. What rights do we have as photographer? or what rights do the passerby have (right to ask you to delete the photos)
4. I Wanna do some close up, should I use those 200mm zoom or just walk up and ask the passerby for permission?

thanks!! :D

if u r taking portrait, ask. But if u r taking street photo, hide & shoot, otherwise their expression will not be natural. important note : if u see someone with ANG GONG on their body, don't shoot..:bsmilie:

invest in a good zoom lens lor

Streets, don't be shy la... no need big camera or big lenses, scare off people more. Use small camera, 35mm or 50mm lenses can liao. Wear simple simple small bag, like that people won't notice u much and u when u take u must abit " Seng Mok" la.

Wow, speaking of it, longz time no do streetz liao.........

lovells19 said:
hm guess the answer will be a zoom lens..

200mm enf?

I like to take the natural expression of passers-by without them knowing... get a 80-200 or 18-200vr lor....:thumbsup:

lovells19 said:
hmm haha will try again next week on my off day

thanks guys!

maybe can org a street shoot again.. like 20pax hahaha :p

siao, 20pax to do streets.... u think goin for gang fight... :nono: 2 or 3 is good ..becos more ppl got more ideas n some wanna go east some wanna go west.... very headache :sweat:

i shoot alone on streets, and when people are concerned, it's nothing short of 300mm for focal length =)

it works most of the time. haha =)

Status
Not open for further replies.