street photography

Russeleastgate

Nov 29, 2011
1. in what area is critique to be sought?
better framing and composure? (should i change to a 24 or 35 as my standard everyday lens)
2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
i enjoy street photography and i guess what i hope to achieve is to bring out emotions out of everyday life.
3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
this picture was taken in a bus and given the limited space & time i was not able to change to my wider 14mm. lens, i was using a 50 f1.4 and nikon fe with trix 400 film.
4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
i think given that the child was turning his head front and back, this was about the best i could have done. this was also the second picture i took as the first one did not have such a nice angle.

599929_414167445291895_41230201_n.jpg

Last edited:
Nice composition and the reflection of child's face, without the handrail blocking the child face at the lower right hand corner will be better.

This is a wonderful shot. Love it.

I feel sometimes it is better not to show everything.

Last edited:
I'd still find the nearest seat which is blurred and big quite distracting for me. Maybe moving slightly to the left will reduce the proportion of the blurred seat so reducing the distraction. Otherwise, a good moment with a good feel.

I am not sure if u are trying to create a "Grainy" effect, i like it to be smooth in my opinion

Really lovely, you captured the moment well. I like the photo as it is.

Same thoughts, no other changes needed. It is nice as it is.

Like the lovely eyes of your subject.

Nice shot. Seen a few similar pictures like this before in magazines.

Not really good in street photography but I think this is a nice shot and having in B&W is a good choice. To me, I viewed the reflection as my first eye contact with the image and not so much on the right. So I agree with most on no changes needed.

this is a good picture taken in a good moment

I am not sure if u are trying to create a "Grainy" effect, i like it to be smooth in my opinion

maybe because it's caused by the film.. i quite like the graininess.. adds to the emotion of the picture.

lovely picture you've got here, Russel. :thumbsup:

@TS. nice shot. the B&W really brings out the feel of the image.

though the hand rail is blocking, everyone please take note: Street Photography is most usually not pre-meditated, and taken on the spur of the moment.

@nitewalk and silverpine: the camera is most likely touching the window. to get a shot without the railing in place, TS would have to do either 1 of 2 things:

1) shoot from outside the bus: impossible. TS would have to get out, thus missing the shot.
2) shoot higher up and from the right. there could have been someone else blocking
3) shoot higher up and angle down: the eye-level of the child would have been changed.

please take note: street photography also means you don't have the chance to pose your subjects most of the time, unless you asked for a portrait. and kids move fast. if TS tried to change the angle, the moment would have been gone.

My personal take is I really like this pix. Spur of moment of a good capture. rules and guidelines begone. Dun worry about those. they are meant to be broken when they should be.

I kept staring at the pix and then I had this view coming into my mind. In the reflection, it seems that the boy (reflection) is looking at the boy (real) while the boy (real) is glancing out into the exterior.

wow thanks for all the feedback, really appreciate all the praises for this picture, i guess that means i dont have to change to a 35 for my everyday lens?
and yes, the picture was taken with kodak tri-x B&W film so it is a little bit grainy, it was in the camera in my hand so i just shot it straight.

It's film, not digital. Grain is natural; controllable using different developers.

@TS,

I would definitely crop it tighter. As of now, you can 2 different point of focus in the photo. Cropping the left away will definitely still keeps the emotion of the photo. The foreground, blurred seats, may be distracting to some but for me it's alright in this photo as there's no highlight in it to distract the main subject, the child.

Nice Shot :) Curiosity in the kid's eyes and what looks like fear in the reflection. As people say, everything looks better with a 50MM lens :p

Last edited:
I like the kids expression.

Now I finally understand why picture is definitely worth a thousand words :)

Well done!