Street Photography with a 70-200

Status
Not open for further replies.

ardnirun

Sep 22, 2008
Serangoon
Good weekend all,
i was wondering if anyone here have any thoughts on using the EF 70-200 for street photography..gonna go town today and do some street shots of ppl...one thing that i am having some reservations about is using the 70-200...i never used a telephoto before...especially not one that is white(some say grey) in colour...would it attract alot of attention?

f/4 shouldn't attract that much attention, f/2.8 with lens hood and tripod attached, that one people will look.
But honestly I've never really seen people turn and stare at me on my walkabouts with the 2.8, just register presence and carry on with their own stuff unless I happen to set up shop and camp in one spot for some time.

Good weekend all,
i was wondering if anyone here have any thoughts on using the EF 70-200 for street photography..gonna go town today and do some street shots of ppl...one thing that i am having some reservations about is using the 70-200...i never used a telephoto before...especially not one that is white(some say grey) in colour...would it attract alot of attention?

you will attract attention, when you use big guns

there is a reason why the better street photographers prefer to use rangefinders, if they prefer RF; and there is also a reason why they prefer to use small primes.

that said, the classic definition of street photography doesn't encompass taking isolated long range pictures of people on the street, it is a lot more than that.

what you are talking about here, frankly speaking, is just candid portraits, perhaps.

Just shoot, i go around with my longer lenses wandering around in orchard too..

I think it is very personal for the lens choices.

For me, either a wide angle or a mid-tele, it all depend for the POV you want to capture.

Like night86mare had mentioned, 70-200mm is great for candid portraits.

3127912919_08e8c56fcd.jpg
3128765624_6cd6ff97cb.jpg

Starting I'm also feelling not good as people looking
but when i talk to myself
I want to be a photographer~this is a learning process
then it's better alr
and also using tripod in front of a lot of tourists
actually it is quite normal ! happy ^^

most important is ur thought
a lot of people also taking violins,guitars,rackets,even oars == haha
u r one of them only ^^
i keep thinking when i feeling that

For street portraits, it's good for isolating the subject...

Honestly, I think something along the likes of a 24-70 might see more use on the street. Street photography isn't just capturing life on the street. It's really about interaction.

Status
Not open for further replies.