Street Photography Outing Theme: What is what & who is who?

canonmono

Nov 22, 2010
Yew Tee
Hi everyone, it's me again and this time I want to concentrate on doing some street shoot at Tanjong Pagar and cover places around there as well as Ann Siang Hill & Club Street (Recommended by weiteck) as well as Heritage sites nearby:
Al-Abrar Mosque http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masjid_Al-Abrar
Thian Hock Keng Temple http://www.thianhockkeng.com.sg/home.html

This coming sat afternoon ard 3pm at meet at Tanjong Pagar Mrt Station(to be cfm but shd be correct)

Things to bring will be:
-Camera and lens(17-50/55mm, 50/135/85mm etc prime), I will bring my 70-300mm to shoot portrait from far without others knowing if oppunities arises which I think Im quite good at it or maybe policeman portrait =)
-Water Bottle with water(Will bring 100+ or H2O, you don know how hot is the sun)(Optional)
-Umbrella(You dono how much pee the cloud is giving)(Optional)
-Flash with diffuser (If time permit can go for night shoot as well, sometime I will go look for random foreigners for some night portrait)(Optional)
-Towel (If u sweat like my bottle that I took out of the fridge (Condensation if u don get it))(Optional)
-Yourself with a positive learning objective(if u want to bring a friend, just let me know)

Interested can PM me your hp number and UPDATE HERE, updates without pming me your hp number will not be ENTERTAINED:
1) canonmono

Last edited:
Hi Canonmono, is me..haha i am interested but haven confirm i am free..i will put down my name first..

Interested can PM me and UPDATE HERE:
1) canonmono
2)taykt

Yay street shooting!
wanna join

1) canonmono
2) taykt
3) Stvkoswara

let me give some advice. you bring all that junk with you and for the whole day you'll be cursing and swearing at the load you're carrying.

if you're shooting streets, travel light. you'll be walking with all that load and you'll feel the ache later.

leave the tripod. take the sunset another day..

reflector? leave it at home too. it's not a portrait session. unless you want to reflect light on your street subjects and make them run for cover. especially in the tg pagar area.

and why not invite your entire family as well? your aunts, uncles and all... the more the merrier. yes it'll be fun and noisy... but do you really want people making noise and alerting your subjects? (considering if you want to be a sniper from far)

also a large group scares people. especially a huge bunch of photographers and their mob of friends who're interested in going along.

Newbie in street photography, learning frm the seniors

1) canonmono
2) taykt
3) Stvkoswara
4) biskandar
5) valance75

would love to go but got stuff on =\

to add on to Kei's points,

bring as small a lens as possible. a prime would be good. people tend to get nervous and suspicious when you carry a 70-200 vr/is. also, try not to look like a photographer =)

leave the tele's at home and bring some wide angles. get up close for more dramatic shots. look out for opportunities from afar then plan the scene and let the person/people walk into the frame. look like you re taking a building in the meantime so they wont think you re shooting them.

be prepared to be confronted, and be polite in your replies. some of the best street photos are right in peoples faces. but, also remember to respect the person's wishes if they request you delete the picture.

Thx to kei and Ben that remind me of some mistakes I did and corrected on the first thread and these are just advice to people but for me i will just get a 70-300mm L and a 17-50mm or 50mm AND FOR THE REFLECTOR, only i will bring and maybe explain the purpose of using it if chance permits and no worries, got quite alot of experience of shooting people without them knowing .. Here is a link to my photos: http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150286286864073.379908.714899072&type=1 may not be extreme nice but still can get by =)

Last edited:
Newbie in street photography, learning frm the seniors

1) canonmono
2) taykt
3) Stvkoswara
4) biskandar
5) valance75
6) kayel79

hmm that timing on a sat... not much ppl ard tanjong pajar... cos its a dead town during weekends.

That's the objective, like chinatown on weekend is quite crowed and when one is shooting like let's say LKY, the whole lot will go over and shoot and make crowed place worst and if not many people then it shd be better as we can just go ard and shoot something .. that's mine thoughts, maybe u have other plans?

That's the objective, like chinatown on weekend is quite crowed and when one is shooting like let's say LKY, the whole lot will go over and shoot and make crowed place worst and if not many people then it shd be better as we can just go ard and shoot something .. that's mine thoughts, maybe u have other plans?

when its a dead town, u only have a few subjects to shoot at, if u go in a group, u might just scare off these few subjects :p

when in crowded places, u guys can split up and "join in the crowd" in stealth mode.

To me, it's not reli a dead town, at least got a few zombies going ard looking for human flesh .. can shoot one =)

To me, it's not reli a dead town, at least got a few zombies going ard looking for human flesh .. can shoot one =)

haha it is really a dead town. i work in this area so i know. i also went to this area during sats, practically u only got landscape to shoot. unless u guys want to start shooting each other.

btw, Amoy food center is usually closed in the afternoon on sats and whole day on sun (but some stalls may open).

if u want crowds, better do it on a weekday during office hours, plentiful of human subjects to shoot.

Last edited:
Will cover places in the first thread as well ..

U r right that Amoy Food Center will be closed after Sat Office lunch crowd.
That is why CanonMono set 3pm mah, after work or lunch then go shoot.
For Dinner, can alway go to Maxwell after shoots.

Some shops, cafe & Eatery, fairly interesting up @ Ann Siang Hill. Recommendation:
1) "K-Ki" (it's a Japanese "*******ised" english for "cake""); this cafe is mainly draw in Girls.....lot of them...u see guys, must be BF
So much female hormone in the air, u stay long guy will grow breasts...
2) "The Asylum" ; this is a Design-cum-Retail concept store. depend on what on display.
3) "Book Actually"; used to be there, now moved to Tiong Bahru...sad...i missed their resident cats
4) "Trolley"; open by Mindee Ong, one of the Actress in "881".
5) get a few interesting Children bookstores. So many Expat parents bring their kids there to play & get books
6) Get those very old Chinese Dialect group assoications there, u can take pix of elderly folks gather to play cards or mahjong.

If Ann Siang Hill & Club Street, no ppl no zombie no soul...
Back-up plans:
1) cross over to ChinaTown, comfirm packed.
2) Or go to "The Pinnacle" that 40lv high HDB, take sunset.

CanonMono is a nice guy & i trust his judgement.
U want young childen, adults, Old folks, the all full set for us to shoot.
>>>I check my schedule then tml state whether i joining.

Explore a place with an open mind, u will see other sides of it.
During office hours, it's a place for work
other time, it's a place ppl live (get HDB & Condo in that area ah)
also get ppl go there to chill with frenz@cafes.

i had 2 jobs in tanjong pagar (at Temasek tower, and PSA building)
and compare to Raffles area which is pure Office, Tanjong Pagard has an old charm with residentail area.

haha it is really a dead town. i work in this area so i know. i also went to this area during sats, practically u only got landscape to shoot. unless u guys want to start shooting each other.

btw, Amoy food center is usually closed in the afternoon on sats and whole day on sun (but some stalls may open).

if u want crowds, better do it on a weekday during office hours, plentiful of human subjects to shoot.

Last edited:
seems interesting i will try to confirm again..

Yup thx weiteck, if things doest come to you, we go and look for it, no worries, we will find something to shoot Eg grass, tree, wall etc ..

1) canonmono
2)taykt
3)qwertyqwerty