Street In Finland

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 12, 2008
Bukit Gombak
Hello...
Well this is a photo taken in Finland when I was there for a media exchange program.
It was kinda of a street on an island in Helsinki Finland. I took it in colour intially.
It was suppose to be a sunset. I figured that it may look better in B/W so I convertered it. I took it underexposed.
ISO:200
Shutter: 1/4
Fstop: 5.0
lens: 18-55mm

3107778025_3a60d41eec.jpg

Somehow, I feel that the picture have something missing but I can't put my finger on it.
Thanks to all in advance :)
Ps: Merry Christmas to all

very very nice,by the way do u use any filter?

I kinda like it for the tones which lend to the moody atmosphere.
The composition is fine in my book, but i do understand why u feel that there is something "missing" from the picture.

In my (very humble) opinion, perhaps a human element is needed to complete the picture. Someone jogging past, a couple walking past, a cyclist going past; that would complete the picture for me.

Could you post a bigger image? I'm straining to see the details and tonality.

hi.. i think this is a pretty picture. however, imho, i think the foreground has lost a lot of detail. perhaps brightening it a little might help.. afterall, your title does say street in finland but my eyes are fixated mainly at bare tree branches and the sky. cheers!

It's missing a person in the foreground. Perhaps an old woman in a scarf.

That's one thing I've learned about photography. When I was starting out, I wanted to shoo people out of my landscape/streetscape pictures because I felt they were noise. I would wait for hell of a long time till the whole scene was clear.

Now I understand that people add scale to a landscape, and context to a street photo.

A picture of an empty street is not as powerful as a picture of an empty street with a homeless man sleeping on it. That homeless man tells a story, and the empty street underscores the story of his homelessness.

Last edited:
Hmmm, yeah. I think this photo really lacks a human element to it.
Thanks to all for the advice.
Thanks

Composition wise, this is very good...I just feel the image is a bit underexposed overall..up the areas that need to stand out...

How much underexposed were you, and why? But yes, you need to bump up the greyscale here.

I don't think the main problem here is the lack of a human element, it is the lack of a main subject. A subject of interest is placed at middle right but by composition, it's a secondary subject. Your leading lines (which is the main subject indicator) do not lead to anything, they head off-frame. Our eyes first follow the line left, then switch right to the structure but there is no relation between the two. Rule of 1/3s is not followed here as both subjects (end of line & structure) are placed squarely in the middle, and it would be better if you staggered points of interest.

Since the title is the 'street...', make sure the street actually does something rather than being a line. Be it adding a human element(s) or including a destination to it (even the horizon).

Last edited:
How much underexposed were you, and why? But yes, you need to bump up the greyscale here.

I don't think the main problem here is the lack of a human element, it is the lack of a main subject. A subject of interest is placed at middle right but by composition, it's a secondary subject. Your leading lines (which is the main subject indicator) do not lead to anything, they head off-frame. Our eyes first follow the line left, then switch right to the structure but there is no relation between the two. Rule of 1/3s is not followed here as both subjects (end of line & structure) are placed squarely in the middle, and it would be better if you staggered points of interest.

Since the title is the 'street...', make sure the street actually does something rather than being a line. Be it adding a human element(s) or including a destination to it (even the horizon).

Hmmm, I understand what you mean. Yeah, my lines are indeed leading to no where. I still have some problems with composition in majourity of my photos as well. Hmmm, well I will practice more and hopefully improve on my 1/3s and seek you guys on c&c again. Thanks for all the advice. It has really helped. REally appreciate it. Thanks!

Hey nice picture you got here. I like the mood. IMO, i think maybe u could have taken the picture from a lower angle, used the two lines in the middle of the road so as to have lines leading off into the distance. But doing that might just cut off the sky which really adds to the atmosphere. So to counter that maybe you could also move back and to the right abit assuming that the path behind you was winding as well so u can capture the lines of the road and sky and trees at the same time. But all in all, nice picture!

Last edited:
nice shot bro..love the colour and mood it sets...anw, ur from IJC oso rite..well all the best for ur A level results...:D

Hey nice picture you got here. I like the mood. IMO, i think maybe u could have taken the picture from a lower angle, used the two lines in the middle of the road so as to have lines leading off into the distance. But doing that might just cut off the sky which really adds to the atmosphere. So to counter that maybe you could also move back and to the right abit assuming that the path behind you was winding as well so u can capture the lines of the road and sky and trees at the same time. But all in all, nice picture!

nice shot bro..love the colour and mood it sets...anw, ur from IJC oso rite..well all the best for ur A level results...:D

Thanks and noted!
Yeah I am from IJ and Thanks

Somehow, I feel that the picture have something missing but I can't put my finger on it.
Thanks to all in advance :)
Ps: Merry Christmas to all

the picture is a lacking a subject.

you have a nice leading line.

but it leads to a mass of blackness and cloud detail and a tree caught up in the mess.

Status
Not open for further replies.