Street Finale @ Ngee Ann City

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrisleng

Mar 18, 2004
community.webshots.com
Last night I was at Street Finale @ Ngee Ann City, it need invitation to enter the main tent. Actually I feel quite disappointed on how the photographer behave. (I overheard their conversation and happen they are from Clubsnap too).

Before the show start, we (photog) were standing outing the pubic boundary line patiently (near Taka side). When the show is about to begin, a few photog jump over the boundary and enter the main tent, the rest saw it and do the same, result in three row of "public" standing behind the sitting bench. A official staff who saw it and advise them not to cross over the boundary but no one seems to border, thus she can't do anything at all.

I remain outside the boundary line and have to hold my lens above their head level to shoot. Thus , I got only a limit angle and have to hold camera high up to avoid their head and camera.

The question is , does a photographer need not need to follow the rules and regulation as long as their can take good angle photos? If it is true, then I still got a lot to learn from those "rule breaker". ;(

Bro, that's very interesting and sounds pretty extreme since there were 3 standing rows (ie lots of photogs), but i guess.....standard lar.

I remember one time, i was one of the 3 official photogs from the organising committee for an event shoot for a visiting celebrity. The total number of photogs (as in those with dSLRs, be it media or for agencies or whatever) must have numbered some 80-100. During some "high-key" moments, everyone rushed to the front, despite elbowing from some 30 security guards, persons-in-charge and blasting through the PA not to push forward. I was elbowed around hard, forget about those lousy barricades setup. It's like that lar. :bsmilie:

Have posted the following reply at my thread:
http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=70798

Not too sure but I believe they allowed public in at the end. Had seen people without cards entering from the front (which probably explained why all the seats are filled and the side near the fountain is already 3-4 deep).

Neverthelss, it's still better for those that wanted to get in to ask the organiser first (they may agree if there's no prohibition from the management) or try from the "gate" to prevent any unpleasantness. Yesterday, no one asked the organisers who were busy ensuring all logistics are ready for the cocktail and show.

At one private show (showcasing fashion from Kenzo) in Taka last year, a group of clubsnappers asked and was given permission to shoot from behind the guests.

Yes, they allowed public to enter the tent. There were actually two queues outside the tent before the show, one for ticket holders and the other for public. They only allow the public queue to move in after they cleared the ticketed queue. As seats inside are taken up by ticket holders, most public who queued ended up standing in front of the show, next to the main photog platform.

Mpenza, you seem to like shooting fashion shows a lot! :D :thumbsup:

2100 said:
Mpenza, you seem to like shooting fashion shows a lot! :D :thumbsup:

probably shot about 30 over the past few years ;p I don't have car, so it's not convenient to shoot nature. Fashion shows are generally much more accessible.

mpenza said:
probably shot about 30 over the past few years ;p I don't have car, so it's not convenient to shoot nature. Fashion shows are generally much more accessible.

I see. :)

ymun said:
Yes, they allowed public to enter the tent. There were actually two queues outside the tent before the show, one for ticket holders and the other for public. They only allow the public queue to move in after they cleared the ticketed queue. As seats inside are taken up by ticket holders, most public who queued ended up standing in front of the show, next to the main photog platform.

Hi ymun,

I got no objection for the public to go in as long as they queue up for it. The problem (near Taka side) is the public did not ask permission and jump over the barrier and force it's way in.

It's so unfair for those who have queue up and unfair for those peope like me who follow the rules.

For those who have force your way in , I feel so shameful for you and very disappointed in you :thumbsd: . For those queue up, I respect you :thumbsup: .

2100 said:
Bro, that's very interesting and sounds pretty extreme since there were 3 standing rows (ie lots of photogs), but i guess.....standard lar.

I remember one time, i was one of the 3 official photogs from the organising committee for an event shoot for a visiting celebrity. The total number of photogs (as in those with dSLRs, be it media or for agencies or whatever) must have numbered some 80-100. During some "high-key" moments, everyone rushed to the front, despite elbowing from some 30 security guards, persons-in-charge and blasting through the PA not to push forward. I was elbowed around hard, forget about those lousy barricades setup. It's like that lar. :bsmilie:

Hi 2100,

Well, maybe this is the ugly side of human being. When they become desperate, their selfishness, inconsiderate and arrogance surface out.

No wonder there will never be peace in this World.

Maybe next time I go for shooting, I could bring a hammer alone, whoever block my way, I am going to hammer his head down. Must use Evil to fight those little devils.

i would say we should follow the rules.

such attitude would bring a bad name to photographers and explain (??) why photography is not allowed in certain shows (i remember a show at paragon last year whereby the guards went around chasing after each and every photographer that took out their cameras) ...........

anyway, the organisers would have learned a lesson and know what to do next year. the bad behaviour would have burned all bridges .....

iceman said:
i would say we should follow the rules.

such attitude would bring a bad name to photographers and explain (??) why photography is not allowed in certain shows (i remember a show at paragon last year whereby the guards went around chasing after each and every photographer that took out their cameras) ...........

anyway, the organisers would have learned a lesson and know what to do next year. the bad behaviour would have burned all bridges .....

Hi iceman,

Glad that you are on the "Good" side. I shoud have taken those photog 's face and post it on the clubsnap. Next time I will be that.

chrisleng said:
............Before the show start, we (photog) were standing outing the pubic boundary line patiently (near Taka side).

hhahahahaha.... sorry.. a little OT here but it's a little funny when I saw this :D
Sorry Chris ;p morning quirky symptoms :)

anyway to answer your question: NO! it's totally unprofessional for them to do so. as long as they are without official authorisations, they should remain where they were and shoot from there. It's, unfortunately, fortunate that the lady was soft-hearted and didn't take a more drastic course of action like calling in the security or setting up barricades further from the main tent .

an advice: either get a longer lens or get an official pass or just qgo early and queue to be close to the action.

my 2 rupiahs worth :)

SniperD said:
anyway to answer your question: NO! it's totally unprofessional for them to do so. as long as they are without official authorisations, they should remain where they were and shoot from there. It's, unfortunately, fortunate that the lady was soft-hearted and didn't take a more drastic course of action like calling in the security or setting up barricades further from the main tent .

an advice: either get a longer lens or get an official pass or just qgo early and queue to be close to the action.

my 2 rupiahs worth :)

Thanks Sniper. Yes to overcome the problem I face , I use a long zoom len instead. Feel free to comments on me photos at http://community.webshots.com/user/chrisleng/1 under "Street Finale@Ngee Ann City - 17 April 2004" album.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.