Street/Candid Photography

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spikey86

Dec 10, 2007
Erm, had been browsing thru the galleries and i'm quite awed by the 'Street and Candid' section. Just wondering, when u guys are taking street shots, how u guys actually overcome the feeling when ppl start staring at u with the 'wah-siao' kinda look? And also how u guys manage to take pictures of others without letting them know?

how u guys actually overcome the feeling when ppl start staring at u with the 'wah-siao' kinda look?

Take more pictures! You can start off with telephoto lenses and taking their backs only (which isn't really great most of the time) if you're shy.

For your first question, you'll get over it the more you practise. Sorry, mis-read your question.

For your second question, act FAST.

Other than that, learn to SMILE. A LOT. I actually had people stare at me, then I smile, and they start smiling/waving back and i SHOOT SUMMOR. Of course, not everyone will respond like that, and a lot depends on HOW you smile. If smile like leering chee-ko-peh or up to something funny, sure they will be offended/angry.

Last edited:
Yeah... just be normal... sometimes, it's also a good idea to point in a vague direction and wait for ppl to walk into the frame...

Else aim directly and keep pointing there even when they have walked off... :bsmilie:

Erm, had been browsing thru the galleries and i'm quite awed by the 'Street and Candid' section. Just wondering, when u guys are taking street shots, how u guys actually overcome the feeling when ppl start staring at u with the 'wah-siao' kinda look? And also how u guys manage to take pictures of others without letting them know?

believe that they will believe that you are not shooting them

raising the camera is really the first step

alternatively, you can always start first by doing hipshots with wide angles. on the bright side, this will help you previsualise scenes a lot better; if you bother to "see", at least. if you just snap away and hope to get something good out of snapping 1000 frames, you might get something, but you will learn nothing. :)

rather than seeing what is happening and trying to capture it; think of what is going to happen.

If you just snap away and hope to get something good out of snapping 1000 frames, you might get something, but you will learn nothing.

Thats what I do q_q, shooting film forces me to visualize and anticipate good moments and compositition.
Go go poor man Leica, the Voigtlander.

Thx for the reply guys! :D

believe that they will believe that you are not shooting them

raising the camera is really the first step

alternatively, you can always start first by doing hipshots with wide angles. on the bright side, this will help you previsualise scenes a lot better; if you bother to "see", at least. if you just snap away and hope to get something good out of snapping 1000 frames, you might get something, but you will learn nothing. :)

rather than seeing what is happening and trying to capture it; think of what is going to happen.

Haha, i think the wide angle idea is good, like placing them by the side of the picture instead of the center, tis way they won't know, haha

For your first question, you'll get over it the more you practise. Sorry, mis-read your question.

For your second question, act FAST.

Other than that, learn to SMILE. A LOT. I actually had people stare at me, then I smile, and they start smiling/waving back and i SHOOT SUMMOR. Of course, not everyone will respond like that, and a lot depends on HOW you smile. If smile like leering chee-ko-peh or up to something funny, sure they will be offended/angry.

LOL, i shy sia, think i will jus try taking at other ppl's back 1st, are Caucasians more 'co-operative' in tis kind of situation? Or it still depends?

Thx for the reply guys! :D

Haha, i think the wide angle idea is good, like placing them by the side of the picture instead of the center, tis way they won't know, haha

LOL, i shy sia, think i will jus try taking at other ppl's back 1st, are Caucasians more 'co-operative' in tis kind of situation? Or it still depends?

I've found various races offering both positive as well as negative responses. Really. I was quite surprised.

Don't look at life only from the back-side hor! :bsmilie:

Shoot more. You'll be so engrossed in getting your pictures you won't care about anything else. Well, it's alright to let them know. Show them what you've taken.

I've found various races offering both positive as well as negative responses. Really. I was quite surprised.

Don't look at life only from the back-side hor! :bsmilie:

yes,

some asians also very sporting,

and there are ang mohs who are super anti-camera; everywhere's the same actually.. so i really detest it when people claim it's easier to do street overseas. it is probably easier to overcome the mental block that you might invite trouble, since you are living in the country, and would not just have a few chance encounters and that will be the end of it.

that has nothing to do with race or location, more to do with yourself.

Guess wat... I was shooting in Orchard today with flash for candids... :bsmilie:

Most of them just ignored me and walked off....

They were in denial, and trying to get away from the Orchard Road Flasher! :bsmilie:

The masters of street speaks! :bsmilie:

when u guys are doing streets, do u wait at one spot for something interesting to happen? or just shoot when you're walking?

LOL, interesting, well, i guess it's right to say it depends on the subject's mood also. Hoepfully when i do my 1st street shot i don't get any scoldings or a slap on the face. haha ;)

when u guys are doing streets, do u wait at one spot for something interesting to happen? or just shoot when you're walking?

Depends on location and what you want to shoot. Mostly walk around until you find a good point to shoot from and shoot a few from there... and when exhausted, move again....

Depends on location and what you want to shoot. Mostly walk around until you find a good point to shoot from and shoot a few from there... and when exhausted, move again....

true. unless u want ur bg to be fixed.. according to weather and surrounding.. like rain.. or strong winds.. u will find it tempting to snap away on what people will do..

running in the rain in newspapers.. inverted umbrellas.. i.e if u have already a rough gauge of what u wanna do in the area u will be standing.

roving around..imo.. has two factors to consider. chance and reaction time. u must have the chance to bump into/see something unique or worth ur shutter count, then comes ur reaction time to take the picture before it all goes away.

i would choose a lens with high resolve.. then go back home and crop to my liking.. so composition and focus wise wouldnt hit a big suffer.

true. unless u want ur bg to be fixed.. according to weather and surrounding.. like rain.. or strong winds.. u will find it tempting to snap away on what people will do..

running in the rain in newspapers.. inverted umbrellas.. i.e if u have already a rough gauge of what u wanna do in the area u will be standing.

roving around..imo.. has two factors to consider. chance and reaction time. u must have the chance to bump into/see something unique or worth ur shutter count, then comes ur reaction time to take the picture before it all goes away.

i would choose a lens with high resolve.. then go back home and crop to my liking.. so composition and focus wise wouldnt hit a big suffer.

wat do u mean high resolve? recommend a lens for street photography? would L lens be overkill for such shoots? would primes be hard to capture the different kinds of situation that would arise?

i'm thinking of adding a L that could do both street and indoors.

timing and camera size.

if you shoot when people are going to work or lunch, most of the time they wont bother. If you use a smaller camera like Leica or even a PnS, you`d be invisible.

.. so i really detest it when people claim it's easier to do street overseas. .

true and false.

in foreign countries, we stick out like a sore thumb, ppl notice us, with or without camera. so, we shoot anyway.

also, ppl normally "give face" to foreigners. also, when we are in holiday mood, we tend to be more "trigger happy".

however, on the downside (in a sense more difficult), the pic taken overseas can tend to be superficial, cus we are not immersed in the culture.

good pic like those in NationalGeographic are not made in 1-2 casual sessions. most pic are taken so intimately that the photographer became part of the pic. the NG photographers may be overseas, but its never easy. the amount of ground work involved tat led to the pics cannot be under-stressed.

Status
Not open for further replies.