Street, Candid and Portrait lens

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevyan

Jan 5, 2005
PR
Hi, need some advice here.

If I would like to take street, candid and portrait pictures, what kind of lens should I use?

Can someone help me on this? Thank you.

kevyan said:
Hi, need some advice here.

If I would like to take street, candid and portrait pictures, what kind of lens should I use?

Can someone help me on this? Thank you.

You can use a 28-70 zoom lens.
For me, I am using a 35mm f2.8, 50mm f2 and a 90mm f2.8.
I use prime lens mainly I dun have the habit of zooming in and out and also prime lens offers max aperture that I can shoot in low-light without the need of flash.
Hope it helps.

XXX Boy said:
You can use a 28-70 zoom lens.
For me, I am using a 35mm f2.8, 50mm f2 and a 90mm f2.8.
I use prime lens mainly I dun have the habit of zooming in and out and also prime lens offers max aperture that I can shoot in low-light without the need of flash.
Hope it helps.

Hmm..... do the lenses you mention cost a lot?

kevyan said:
Hmm..... do the lenses you mention cost a lot?

Mine is a Leica M-mount so it is expensive. But you can get Nikkor or Canon fixed lens and normally with fixed lens the price is much cheaper than a zoom (with the same f-stops). And also fixed lenses optical quality is better!

plinius said:
what mount u talking about?

I'm using a Canon EF mount.

There is also the Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 XR Di that gives pretty good image quality, and costs less than a third of the Canon's price. (about $700+ new).

megaweb said:
same old qns.

What is your budget ?

I don't have a budget for the time being b'cos I don't even know how
much one cost.

Anyone can advise the price range?

kevyan said:
I don't have a budget for the time being b'cos I don't even know how
much one cost.

Anyone can advise the price range?

you can try a 35mm f2 ($400+++) or a 50mm 1.8 ($135) to start if you want to explore primes. you can try a 85 1.8 for ($600+++) if you have about no idea how abt a zoom lens, 28-105 or 24-85? try them out first.

Canon EF 24-70 F2.8L -> SGD2.4k :sweat:

Good Quality Lens to record moments not to be missed -> priceless :devil:

Belle&Sebastain said:
you can try a 35mm f2 ($400+++) or a 50mm 1.8 ($135) to start if you want to explore primes. you can try a 85 1.8 for ($600+++) if you have about no idea how abt a zoom lens, 28-105 or 24-85? try them out first.

I have a kit lens that came with my EOS66.

When I use D100, 12-24 mm is my lens, when I use my F100, I use 17-35 mm lens.

kevyan said:
You can use your kit lens for street and candid shots. For shallow DOF effect (background blur type), you can get the cheapo 50mm f1.8 to start off.

kevyan said:
i believe that's a 28-80 lens, which is a good range for candid and street shots.

i would go with that first, and consider a cheap 50f1.8 for now (before plunging into the more expensive lenses). with the f1.8, you would be able to get a better appreciation of how to play / use DOF.

i try to stick with primes, though at times i curse and swear (using my legs as my zoom), but the sharpness is normally there at the end of the day. :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.