Streaks of lines in viewfinder

Status
Not open for further replies.

seanlim

Oct 28, 2005
NEL
hi..got another question..
i saw a black spot thru my wiewfinder.and did nt better..so i go use lens pen and cloth to wipe it off....but the prob is now i see streaks of lines in my viewfinder....but it does not affect my pictures in anyway...should i send it for servicing? or are there any DIY methods?:)

its actually a piece of plastic below the view finder sensor...theres also a latch to romove it...any idea whats that? :confused:

From what i can gather its the focussing screen. you;ve found but i'm not sure. Most people advice againt touching or using a cloth on that place as its pretty delicate.

Yupz, my cam's focusing screen is also a little dirty, but as long as it doesn't affect the image quality of the pics. Perhaps in future can ask Canon to clean it for you.

seanlim said:
hi..got another question..
i saw a black spot thru my wiewfinder.and did nt better..so i go use lens pen and cloth to wipe it off....but the prob is now i see streaks of lines in my viewfinder....but it does not affect my pictures in anyway...should i send it for servicing? or are there any DIY methods?:)

If you're lucky, you smeared dirt over the screen. If you're less lucky, you scratched it.

If it doesn't affect the pictures, you don't need to get it serviced. If it bothers you, you can try to clean it (in case it really is only dirt) - but given your previous record at cleaning it, you may make things much worse. The safe option is to have it serviced.

If you cleaned the viewfinder with lenspen....then its the residue..
IIRC, the viewfinder glass which you cleaned is curved..and on curved surfaces, lenspen leaves residue...

seanlim don't bother to clean the viewer finder area. I tried to be garang once try to clean it. I ended up having to replace the whole focusing screen and damage the top penta prism. I'm now a bit wiser and would send the camera to the pros to clean it. Anyway you get to blame someone if something goes wrong.

smtan24 said:
seanlim don't bother to clean the viewer finder area. I tried to be garang once try to clean it. I ended up having to replace the whole focusing screen and damage the top penta prism. I'm now a bit wiser and would send the camera to the pros to clean it. Anyway you get to blame someone if something goes wrong.

Can get some gd pointers here.

smtan24 said:
how much did it cost?....i dont think any prism is damage...only a piece of removable plastic
now.....whats thru my view finder
168.JPG
:thumbsd:

seanlim said:
how much did it cost?....i dont think any prism is damage...only a piece of removable plastic
168.JPG

Wah...looks like it's quite in a bad condition.

seanlim said:
how much did it cost?....i dont think any prism is damahttp://forums.clubsnap.org/images/cs/smilies/confused.gif
:confused:ge...only a piece of removable plastic
168.JPG

looks like see-ing through a tornado! better send to NSC soon!

:cry: :cry: :cry:

seanlim said:
now.....

What camera is this (sorry if you wrote it, I didn't see it)? If "removable" means "interchangeable by the user", it would probably much cheaper to repair (i.e. just get a new one and swap). Once the screen is out of the camera, it would also be much easier to clean it (e.g. ultrasound bath).

its a D50:D

seanlim for my Dynax 5 it cost about SGD40 to replace the screen. It looks like you got dirt on the screen and maybe on the mirror also.

good luck. :heart:

:confused:
JediForce4ever said:
If you cleaned the viewfinder with lenspen....then its the residue..
IIRC, the viewfinder glass which you cleaned is curved..and on curved surfaces, lenspen leaves residue...
Thats one of the main reasons

Status
Not open for further replies.