Stray Lights

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ericang

Jul 7, 2008
Singapore, Singapore
Hello....

Just new into DSLR photography.
When taking night shoot at Clark quay last night, i found out that there are alot of stray lights running around.
for example this picture, the lights are everywhere on the subject

28we2dl.jpg

How to i minimize or even prevent the stray lights ?

for posting image, please keep it around 600pixel at the longest side. it is easy for everyone to view the whole image.

you are aiming directly at a strong light source, lens flare is inevitable. using lens hood will not help here, as you're aiming your lens directly to the light source.

use your subject to block the light will help, remove any filter from your lens will minimize lens flare from other lights source too.

choose another angle. The photographer do not know how to compose yet.
blocking strong light with body or head will produce backlighting effect, so at night esp that will need flashlight else you only see black body (or head)

sorry for being a noob, but when i ue the flash light, won't the background be black ?

sorry for being a noob, but when i ue the flash light, won't the background be black ?

Nope, it depends on how you have metered the scene and if you have allowed the flash to overpower the scene or not.

choose another angle. The photographer do not know how to compose yet.
blocking strong light with body or head will produce backlighting effect, so at night esp that will need flashlight else you only see black body (or head)
TS is the photographer took this photo.

aiming directly to strong light source will fool the camera meter, causing underexposed, the light source in this photo does not contribute any light to light up the subject, except lens flare.

positioning the strong light source out of the frame does not guarantee not lens flare, if the light from the strong light source is still hitting the front element of the lens.

using subjects to block the strong light source is most simply way to do, TS just need to take half steps move to his left, or ask the couple move to their left slightly.

beside, it will act as a halo light, to have some separation of their head and hair to merge into dark background.

I suspect TS is using 'SLOW' in taking this picture, so as to bring out the backgound.
This is the downside of 'SLOW' but not always.
You may switch to 'M' and compensate with a faster speed from the 'SLOW' setting.
That should minimize those over-exposed lamp post light.

But another stray light looks mysterious, that is on the couple hands. Not sure where it comes from. :dunno:

That stray light is a light phenomenon. Just use a fill-flash or switch your flash mode to "slow-sync" flash... That may help minimize the problem.

ya i was wonder ing also where rhe lights from the hands come from
Also i got some pictures i took on the neon lights and i get double images of the signboard...
why is this so ?

ya i was wonder ing also where rhe lights from the hands come from
Also i got some pictures i took on the neon lights and i get double images of the signboard...
why is this so ?

Hard to say without seeing the picture, it could be ghosting. Remove your filter and take another picture, it should be gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.