Stray cats

xxrenxx

Aug 4, 2010
Eunos
163186_10150163816398135_779653134_8522433_3593133_n.jpg

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
Composition, exposure, cropping and etc...

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
I want to bring out the innocent look of a cat and tell others that stray cats can be calm if we do not provoke them;)

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
Taken at void deck using Av mode.
Setting is f2, 1/90, iso100

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
I wan to hear what others think of the picture.

Thank a lot for viewing.

Last edited:
Exposure wise is definitely overexposed and oof. As for composition, I would prefer to enlarge the picture to see more of the cat body.
Perhaps you want to do some touchup to sharpen and fine tune the image. May I know what is the white patch on the lower right of the picture?

To me it doesn't look overexposed, but it seems to lack contrast. Probably because the ground is around the same colour as the cat. And yes I think either including more of the cat's body or doing a tighter crop and just include the face would work better.

IMHO,

Watchout for the background. The white lines behind the cat are distracting.

Contrast and colours could have more punch.

Exposure wise is definitely overexposed and oof. As for composition, I would prefer to enlarge the picture to see more of the cat body.
Perhaps you want to do some touchup to sharpen and fine tune the image. May I know what is the white patch on the lower right of the picture?

I push up the exposure during PP as the original photo is abit under-expose. The white is actually the cats leg, i want to present it in the rectangcular format.

To me it doesn't look overexposed, but it seems to lack contrast. Probably because the ground is around the same colour as the cat. And yes I think either including more of the cat's body or doing a tighter crop and just include the face would work better.

So i tigher crop on the face you mean and push up the contrast?

IMHO,

Watchout for the background. The white lines behind the cat are distracting.

Contrast and colours could have more punch.

This is abit hard as the cat is resting there:dunno: But will watchout for this.

Thanks for the comment.

Last edited:
So i tigher crop on the face you mean and push up the contrast?

Yup, and try black and white too if you want. If you don't like B&W can always undo. Some photos can look pretty interesting after they are converted to B&W

I have re-edit the photo again, how is this version now?

5363756242_61d38cdb77_z.jpg

the white color details are lost.

:)

I PP away the white patch and the white line on top. Push up the contrast and sharpen the photo a little:)

Is it just me? I'm still a newbie in this photography world, but IMO, I was hoping to get to a lower angle to make the cat look straight than to look up...then you can probably put more of the cat's body into the frame.

Probably can also add little more contrast/sharpness to bring out the details of the cat...currently it looks kinda soft to me.

I do understand that it's a stray cat (from the title) and sometimes those positions are not even possible. Just $0.02 from a newbie.

Hi Bro. Here are my inputs.

The photo is kind of soft and after looking closely, i think the focus is on the forehead of the cat where it's the sharpest.

Can i recommend you to focus on the cat's eyes instead. I think that is very important for a cat shot.

As for the background, it's a little tricky as cats are on the floor most of the time therefore it's not difficult to understand why the floor tiles appear at the background.

Here is a suggestion that u may want to bring down ur camera to level of the cat and capture a front shot of the cat.

Maybe that would give you a better background instead of the floor tiles. :)

Anyway good effort and nice to meet you. I am a cat portrait lover too~

Last edited:
Nice, though f2 seemed to have a quite shallow DOF, that's if you're looking for such... it look quite soft though...

Not easy taking a cat too... if you consider taking it at iso 200 for a faster shutter speed?

Is it just me? I'm still a newbie in this photography world, but IMO, I was hoping to get to a lower angle to make the cat look straight than to look up...then you can probably put more of the cat's body into the frame.

Probably can also add little more contrast/sharpness to bring out the details of the cat...currently it looks kinda soft to me.

I do understand that it's a stray cat (from the title) and sometimes those positions are not even possible. Just $0.02 from a newbie.

I push up the contrast for the B&W version but still look kinda soft, mayb its my 1st try so i din get it right.
This cat is quite afraid of people, it will run away if we get too close or do anything weird, so i had to make do without scaring it. thanks!!

Hi Bro. Here are my inputs.

The photo is kind of soft and after looking closely, i think the focus is on the forehead of the cat where it's the sharpest.

Can i recommend you to focus on the cat's eyes instead. I think that is very important for a cat shot.

As for the background, it's a little tricky as cats are on the floor most of the time therefore it's not difficult to understand why the floor tiles appear at the background.

Here is a suggestion that u may want to bring down ur camera to level of the cat and capture a front shot of the cat.

Maybe that would give you a better background instead of the floor tiles. :)

Anyway good effort and nice to meet you. I am a cat portrait lover too~

Yes, i realize that the focusing is at the center of the eye!
As for the background, that is the background rather then floor tiles._. The floor is grey in color, i go down low enough trying not to include the ground together as the mixture of ground and wall will not be nice.
Thanks for the comment!!

Nice, though f2 seemed to have a quite shallow DOF, that's if you're looking for such... it look quite soft though...

Not easy taking a cat too... if you consider taking it at iso 200 for a faster shutter speed?

Its a bad habit of mine. I like to use the lowest possible iso, I'll take note of that!
Thanks!

Where are the other cats?

Below.......

Anw, I have created a thread in the World of Nature sub-forum, if you guys dun mind, can take a look let me know of what you guys think so to aid me on my journey of taking photo of cats!

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=840724

;)

Last edited:
163186_10150163816398135_779653134_8522433_3593133_n.jpg

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
I want to bring out the innocent look of a cat and tell others that stray cats can be calm if we do not provoke them;)

i think you were able to achieve what you intended to do with the pic the white and light brown color exudes a bit of calmness i also believe the the lack of sharpness might have helped convey this message as well as it comes off as soft and fluffy and non threatening imo sharpness is not everything

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
I wan to hear what others think of the picture.

Personally i remember puss on boots from shrek hehehe

Thank a lot for viewing.

puss-in-boots.jpg

peace...

Last edited: